Speculation Lucid UX 3.0

$9k for Pro for GTs (not sure why)

But you only need Premium for the overhead view, which is still $2k
That is because the GT shown in the configurator is a 2023 model. For the Pure and Touring 2024 models, DDP is 6750 leading me to believe that it will be 6750 for the 2024 gt, which have not started production unlike the pures and tourings.

I don’t know what this means or if it’s a joke lol
I meant, that sounds worse than the infotainment on my 2014 Kia!
Don’t know, don’t care; I imagine the answer is Peter & co are car people, not software people. Interviewing for software is hard, and you need someone good at the helm leading the effort. The software team was reworked and this was before Mike Bell, who made the frankly brave decision (because selling “no features for half a year, only internal stability fixes nobody will obviously see” to management is indeed brave) to focus on a full rewrite, not features. It was the right move. A lot of the decisions made early on were ones that would sound good to a fresh college grad, but have absolutely awful consequences that anyone who had worked in industry for a few years would think were obvious. (They were obvious to me, for example, once I learned they were running a VM in the car rather than native software).

Since then, software under him has progressed very very well.

As a result, I’m extremely excited for Gravity and 3.0, because it’s the first version he’ll have had his hands in from the very beginning.
Time will tell... both of the major reworks we have seen so far have been noticeable, and I expect UX 3.0 to have gotten past the bug fixing, meaning we will probably see more new features!

And wow, that VM idea is almost on the same level of stupidity as cloud gaming or the metaverse.

Thank you for the correction. I was misinformed! Is it 10k only for GTs then?
They just lowered the price of DDP for 2024 because it’s not a tempting feature set for $10k and only got away by giving it away for free (it should be free other than the lidar hardware I guess) I honestly don’t think they’ll sell much of it for the new lower $7k either.

They just lowered the price of DDP for 2024 because it’s not a tempting feature set for $10k and only got away by giving it away for free (it should be free other than the lidar hardware I guess) I honestly don’t think they’ll sell much of it for the new lower $7k either.
Uh, if it was free other than the lidar software... isnt that just DDPremium?

Uh, if it was free other than the lidar software... isnt that just DDPremium?
Nope. You don’t get lane keeping in DD Premium. You don’t need lidar for that either. Most cars handle it just fine on a single front facing camera.

What I mean is any future lidar ENABLED features could be part of a $10k suite, but idk what that could be, maybe some type of L3 driving if they go that route. But probably not. I think they put the lidar in there to be trendy and for headlines.

Nope. You don’t get lane keeping in DD Premium. You don’t need lidar for that either. Most cars handle it just fine on a single front facing camera.

What I mean is any future lidar ENABLED features could be part of a $10k suite, but idk what that could be, maybe some type of L3 driving if they go that route. But probably not. I think they put the lidar in there to be trendy and for headlines.

Yeah, that's not accurate. They are already using LiDAR, which is why you can't engage Highway Assist when your LiDAR sensor is blocked with snow or ice.

Just because others don't use LiDAR doesn't mean it isn't a good tool or that Lucid doesn't use it.

Yeah, that's not accurate. They are already using LiDAR, which is why you can't engage Highway Assist when your LiDAR sensor is blocked with snow or ice.

Just because others don't use LiDAR doesn't mean it isn't a good tool or that Lucid doesn't use it.
I mean ACC works with basic DD too, so they don’t need the lidar for Highway assist. I’m just saying the feature set of DDP is equivalent to what you get with a Toyota/honda/kia or even base autopilot. That’s not something worth $9k or even $7k. It’s like if they decided to charge $10k for a power trunk? Can they charge it and say they used gold lining in the cables to justify the cost? Sure! Is it worth it to 99% of people? No

I mean ACC works with basic DD too, so they don’t need the lidar for Highway assist. I’m just saying the feature set of DDP is equivalent to what you get with a Toyota/honda/kia or even base autopilot. That’s not something worth $9k or even $7k. It’s like if they decided to charge $10k for a power trunk? Can they charge it and say they used gold lining in the cables to justify the cost? Sure! Is it worth it to 99% of people? No
LiDar improves resolution in ACC. A recent review in Tech Crunch compared ADAS in Tesla, Ford, GM and Mercedes. There are a wide variety of features available but other automakers charge a lower up front fee but then make it up with rather high subscription fees. I kind of prefer the idea of just paying one lump sum and the features get upgraded as you go. Ford seems to have the best ADAS, followed by GM, Mercedes is very good but their L3 is hyper-restricted right now, and Tesla's is erratic. IMO Lucid's ACC is the best in the business, lane keep/etc are safer than Tesla, but the rest of it lags behind Ford and others in terms of features because Ford and the other automakers had a head start doing this. Right now in my experience the Lucid's Highway assist is very similar to Volvo's (which is not standard, you have to pay extra) in terms of capability, right down to the nagging you to keep your hands on the wheel when they already are haha, but Lucid's ACC is better. Lucid's cameras in terms of the displays plus 360 view IMO are the best I've seen in any car. So that's worth some extra $ also.

Ford seems to have the best ADAS, followed by GM, Mercedes is very good but their L3 is hyper-restricted right now, and Tesla's is erratic.
I think there’s a lot of bias against Tesla’s ADAS just from the media. I think their standard autopilot system is the best of all the ADAS on the market. I had a Bolt with supercruise and it has the worst and most dangerous feeling use by far. It brakes so late and constantly triggers its own collision braking. I can’t believe they allow it to be used hands free. And it’s very jerky around corners. Tesla’s is the smoothest with the least amount of intervention and feels the safest to me (owned and used for 5 years). It’s had it’s ups and downs through development and changing of hardware, removal of radar, etc…but that’s mostly gets sorted after a couple months of updates. think Tesla’s autopilot gets dinged because of the name and FSDs reputation and even Elon’s reputation and claims which understandably are crazy and not very reliable, but it’s also doing crazy complex things that no other system can do. As an L2 system, autopilot has millions of miles of use under it, so by probability of course it’ll look like autopilot is always crashing, but if you look at accidents per million miles on ADAS, at least from teslas reports, it’s 2x safer than not using AP. And I’m sure every other system out there, wouldn’t even have enough data to plot against.

I do understand your other points though. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, feel free to give a lump sum, but I think a lot of Tesla owners have been burned by opening pockets for empty promises.

I do think it’ll be interesting to see the take rate of premium vs pro on pure cars in 2024. I think for GT owners, the cost of DDP is inconsequential and just Pennies on the dollar so who cares? and for most of the Touring’s life, premium wasn’t an option, and then DDP became free. Now with 2024, assuming they don’t make DDP free again, it’ll be interesting to see the take rate when people with a $80k budget have to make a choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBV
think Tesla’s autopilot gets dinged because of the name and FSDs reputation and even Elon’s reputation and claims which understandably are crazy and not very reliable, but it’s also doing crazy complex things that no other system can do.
I rode as a passenger with a friend last week who has the latest beta FSD, and the experience was nothing like you describe. It's anything but smooth, often decelerating in the middle of curves for no reason. It also still, after many years, tends to slow down in the middle of a turn at intersections, which is incredibly dangerous when there are people behind you. It stopped for a stop sign that was actually supposed to be for a merging traffic lane. And on a trip that only lasted a few hours, the driver had to take over three times lest it drive us into another car. Oh, and it abruptly changed to the far-most right lane once to make a left turn.

My friend likes to report how much "better" the system gets with every update. And then we'll go on a drive and this sort of stuff happens. Every time.

Overall, I feel like I'm on pins and needles the entire time I'm in any car running FSD. If anything, the media is being generous about its abilities.

Maybe they shouldn't be trying to do crazy complex things until they can get the basics down.

LiDar improves resolution in ACC. A recent review in Tech Crunch compared ADAS in Tesla, Ford, GM and Mercedes. There are a wide variety of features available but other automakers charge a lower up front fee but then make it up with rather high subscription fees. I kind of prefer the idea of just paying one lump sum and the features get upgraded as you go. Ford seems to have the best ADAS, followed by GM, Mercedes is very good but their L3 is hyper-restricted right now, and Tesla's is erratic. IMO Lucid's ACC is the best in the business, lane keep/etc are safer than Tesla, but the rest of it lags behind Ford and others in terms of features because Ford and the other automakers had a head start doing this. Right now in my experience the Lucid's Highway assist is very similar to Volvo's (which is not standard, you have to pay extra) in terms of capability, right down to the nagging you to keep your hands on the wheel when they already are haha, but Lucid's ACC is better. Lucid's cameras in terms of the displays plus 360 view IMO are the best I've seen in any car. So that's worth some extra $ also.
LIDAR was consistently blocked in the rain on my return trip to LA.

I rode as a passenger with a friend last week who has the latest beta FSD, and the experience was nothing like you describe. It's anything but smooth, often decelerating in the middle of curves for no reason
You took my comment completely out of context. I was talking about autopilot’s performance. And I even said that FSD is not reliable.

You took my comment completely out of context. I was talking about autopilot’s performance. And I even said that FSD is not reliable.
FSD uses the same software stack as Autopilot on highways. So, okay, let's forget the crazy intersection issues. it still doesn't know how to accelerate through a turn properly. And it'll still slow down or brake quite frequently for no reason.

The majority of the trip I just took was on the highway. And I just can't describe its behavior as smooth.

FSD uses the same software stack as Autopilot on highways. So, okay, let's forget the crazy intersection issues. it still doesn't know how to accelerate through a turn properly. And it'll still slow down or brake quite frequently for no reason.

The majority of the trip I just took was on the highway. And I just can't describe its behavior as smooth.
Hmm I don’t know how to explain that. I always found autopilot on the highway to be exceptionally smooth and handles turns gracefully without slowing down and keep the center of lanes tightly, slows down and accelerates confidently. And I did have the FSD freeway stack. Weird how our behavior is so different. Wonder if you’re just remembering the crazy behavior on city streets. Which I agree is not smooth. Alternatively with the lucid, even on the freeway, it just gives up and flies out of the lane if it curves more than a couple degrees

I rode as a passenger with a friend last week who has the latest beta FSD, and the experience was nothing like you describe. It's anything but smooth, often decelerating in the middle of curves for no reason. It also still, after many years, tends to slow down in the middle of a turn at intersections, which is incredibly dangerous when there are people behind you. It stopped for a stop sign that was actually supposed to be for a merging traffic lane. And on a trip that only lasted a few hours, the driver had to take over three times lest it drive us into another car. Oh, and it abruptly changed to the far-most right lane once to make a left turn.

My friend likes to report how much "better" the system gets with every update. And then we'll go on a drive and this sort of stuff happens. Every time.

Overall, I feel like I'm on pins and needles the entire time I'm in any car running FSD. If anything, the media is being generous about its abilities.

Maybe they shouldn't be trying to do crazy complex things until they can get the basics down.
Are you talking on the freeway or local roads? As, on the freeway it works great. I am constantly using it on the freeway and mostly drive on freeways (45,000 miles in the last two years). I don‘t use any self driving on local roads though.

Looking through some of these posts, there is some really bad information about Tesla, but I don’t really care, as all I care about reading is on Lucid.

Back to Lucid 3.0 UX, it definitely looks like an awesome improvement and can’t wait to see it in person! 🙂

LIDAR was consistently blocked in the rain on my return trip to LA.
This is an interesting problem as it seems to be more of an issue in lighter rain. I drove 600 miles from Ohio to Rhode Island in a heavy rain storm and had HA on through much of it to help out and only got the Lidar blocked error one time. I’m not saying it’s not an issue, it has room for improvement but the pattern I’ve noticed is in milder rain it seems to error more than heavier rain.

Good discussion to start 2024. Happy new year Lucid owners.

I think we don't need a lot like UX 3.0 etc. This owner group created a list of features long back and voted each of them. That list provides priority for LUCID to address for present models. I'll ask LUCID to just get those features to the car.

We don't need Tesla software here but we need right features. Enjoy 2024 and rides in Air.

I’m just going to come right out and say it, that I think it’s rather unfriendly to get the car and shortly thereafter start throwing punches at the work that has been done and is continuing to be done by Mike Bell and the Lucid software team. The actual fact is they listen to owners, directly and quickly incorporating ideas and feedback into updates, of course within the limitations of the tech and varying modules and speed and at which any software can be written, tested and deployed. Few other automakers do that. So even with my feature wish list I’m just fine with my car as is and it brings me joy every time I drive it whether over a very short or extremely long distance, and I don’t require it to conform to some feature wish list or Tesla state of the art or whatever. I think Lucid is doing an excellent job for such a new company, leading existing auto-makers in range and efficiency and space usage and performance and yes, SOME aspects of software. That’s good enough for me.

Alternatively with the lucid, even on the freeway, it just gives up and flies out of the lane if it curves more than a couple degrees
That has not been my experience. If you are on the latest version and this is happening, consider getting your ADAS / LiDAR recalibrated at a service center.

Back