Speculation Lucid UX 3.0

IMO Apple has so far neglected a huge opportunity there. An Apple car made no sense, a huge capital undertaking with low margins and difficulty in product differentiation. But I think an automotive OS that could run native Apple Maps, Apple Music, etc would be attractive to auto manufacturers and a big draw for many car buyers.
I agree. I never understood why they needed to make an actual car. But an automotive OS that tightly integrated with your iCloud and phone would be killer, for sure.

Maybe CarPlay 2.0 is a step in this direction? Who knows?

My gut tells me the minute manufacturers started seeing the dollar signs of advertising and data collection in their in-house systems, Apple was going to have an uphill battle convincing any of them to partner up.

IMO Apple has so far neglected a huge opportunity there. An Apple car made no sense, a huge capital undertaking with low margins and difficulty in product differentiation. But I think an automotive OS that could run native Apple Maps, Apple Music, etc would be attractive to auto manufacturers and a big draw for many car buyers.
It’s called CarPlay 2 and seems a majority of automakers are rejecting it in the way Apple wants them to integrate it. A number of automakers have stated they’ll do some “form” of CarPlay 2 but not giving Apple the keys to the kingdom.

Why? Because data and analytics are valuable assets and no automaker is going to just hand all that valuable information for Apple to use as they see fit.

You'd also need to write all the possible car apps, and maybe provide and maintain a solid cloud infrastructure for OTA updates and EV performance data gathering (trip consumption analysis and prediction).
Nah, I'll build an Android automation layer for the stupid Tidal and Spotify apps, lol. Or I'll just make sure to include Android Auto and CarPlay so you can just do media through that.

Quit stomping on my dreams. It's doable. :p

Back