Lucid Home Charger this month

Sort of.. I detailed this out a bit and it actually spurred a bit of conversation internally about some things (because I love to dig up stuff lol)...

I had to backpedal some things I found out about our charger at Ford once I talked to the actual product owner of it: https://lucidowners.com/threads/lucid-bi-directional-charging-as-a-home-power-source.523/post-106629

I'm not sure if Lucid is avoiding talking about it due to the ISO standard being fresh and if they're evaluating if they need to do a proprietary solution or if they can appropriately use the open standard (that was just solidified in April 2022).

It might even be more complicated for them (like it is for us) where some vehicles/chargers may use a proprietary standard, while others move to the open standard. I have a strong feeling this is where the hang up is and they (like Ford) were expecting the standard to be established far sooner than it was.

My recommendation atm is not to buy the Lucid charger if you're interested in bi-directional charging and hold off another year before taking a serious look for a solution. Although their charger should support it, it's probably it will only support it for Lucid vehicles ever... which bites for the price.
I had ordered the Lucid charger but later canceled because of the delays in filling the order & Lucid's inability to state what addional hardware would be needed & what it might cost. I'm probably gonna go with a 60.amp circuit & the Chargepoint charger, but I'd welcome suggestions from folks who've already gone down this road.

I had ordered the Lucid charger but later canceled because of the delays in filling the order & Lucid's inability to state what addional hardware would be needed & what it might cost. I'm probably gonna go with a 60.amp circuit & the Chargepoint charger, but I'd welcome suggestions from folks who've already gone down this road.
I have a 50 amp circuit with a Juice Box 40 amp on it. It's the plug-in type, but I've never unplugged it. I just did it that way so I can easily replace it when necessary.. I had installed in 2019 when I got my Jaguar. It has been absolutely flawless. Per the app, it has provided almost 19,000kWh.
I understand that the Lucid one is more powerful, faster, and will be bi-directional. Pretty cool. For now, I'm good, though, because I usually charge overnight.

I have a 50 amp circuit with a Juice Box 40 amp on it. It's the plug-in type, but I've never unplugged it. I just did it that way so I can easily replace it when necessary.. I had installed in 2019 when I got my Jaguar. It has been absolutely flawless. Per the app, it has provided almost 19,000kWh.
I understand that the Lucid one is more powerful, faster, and will be bi-directional. Pretty cool. For now, I'm good, though, because I usually charge overnight.
Again, thanks Bob.

I have a ChargePoint Flex for my Nissan Leaf, plugged into a 50 amp circuit for 4 years without an issue.

I received my Lucid home charger this week. Hopefully soon I will get it set up. I have an independent electrician on standby and a request in to Qmerit. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Back