Lucid Charger

I asked my DA today if there was a waiting list for the home charger that I could put my name on. He said there isn't a wait list.
There is if you do it through service. I didn't say the previous statement

Public Service Announcement: If you are contracting with an electrician to install a 14-50 or hardwired charging station, ask them to quote on installing whole-house surge protection at the same time. It'll probably be a few hundred dollars additional and IMO well worth it for peace of mind. Some surge protectors plug into the panel like a circuit breaker. Others are a stand-alone metal box that is placed in the panel and wired in. It'll protect your TV. computers, etc and possibly your EV during transients from grid issues/power failure/lightning.
Yeah I have one attached already to
My Panel when I switched it for my Cooking Range a couple years ago. I hope it is protecting the house. The 14-50 NEMA was installed in June and is an ugly blimp on the wall but works like a champ. Not sure I need anything fancy.

I am confused about the hard wiring but aren’t ALL Switches Hard Wired? The NEMA is it’s own dedicated circuit wired to the 50AMP SWITCH.

Here is the wall charger I want. I’m kind of a retro guy…..😇View attachment 3512
If I’m not mistaken, isn’t that the first Mercedes? It was electric, and the maker’s wife snuck out the prototype one night and was actually the first person to drive a car. The vehicle is in the Newport Auto Museum here in Rhode Island. If that’s not the car in the picture, well it looks pretty similar.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t that the first Mercedes? It was electric, and the maker’s wife snuck out the prototype one night and was actually the first person to drive a car. The vehicle is in the Newport Auto Museum here in Rhode Island. If that’s not the car in the picture, well it looks pretty similar.
It could very well be that Mercedes but I do not know for sure. I just love the monster sized charger. I can envision plugging it in and have all the lights locally dimming!😇

I am confused about the hard wiring but aren’t ALL Switches Hard Wired? The NEMA is it’s own dedicated circuit wired to the 50AMP SWITCH.
If you re-read the post, he isn't talking about the circuit breaker (which is not called a switch - it's helpful if you think of the circuit breaker as what it replaced, a fuse). @DeaneG is talking about attaching the charger via either a 14-50 outlet OR having it hardwired. Some chargers can only be plugged into the outlet but many allow for hardwiring to the 50 amp circuit. Hardwiring supplies more amps than plugging in.

If you re-read the post, he isn't talking about the circuit breaker (which is not called a switch - it's helpful if you think of the circuit breaker as what it replaced, a fuse). @DeaneG is talking about attaching the charger via either a 14-50 outlet OR having it hardwired. Some chargers can only be plugged into the outlet but many allow for hardwiring to the 50 amp circuit. Hardwiring supplies more amps than plugging in.
The ChargePoint home charger allows larger amperage breakers when hardwired thus faster charging. I have mine on a 60Amp circuit vs the 50Amp of the NEMA 14-50 wall socket.

The ChargePoint home charger allows larger amperage breakers when hardwired thus faster charging. I have mine on a 60Amp circuit vs the 50Amp of the NEMA 14-50 wall socket.
Hardwiring is also safer as there is no chance of an ambitious child pulling the plug part or all of the way out and experimenting with 240V.

Hardwiring is also safer as there is no chance of an ambitious child pulling the plug part or all of the way out and experimenting with 240V.
I am old enough to remember my dad putting pennies in the fuse-box!

I am old enough to remember my dad putting pennies in the fuse-box!
When my wife and I were married we rented her house in Rosenberg, Texas. When the first renter finally moved out I went to the main fuse box to check on a circuit and found they had used wadded up aluminum foil under some screw in fuses! We lucked out nothing had caught on fire. The weird thing was there were spare fuses in a kitchen drawer….

I went ahead and ordered an Autel Maxicharger 50 AMP. It's wall charger and hardwired. My circuit is 60 AMP. I have read nothing but good review about their chargers and you get a lot of bang for your dollars. The Tesla charger gets deinstalled and the Autel gets installed on August 1st.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see the specs: Autel Maxicharger

Quoting myself, but the Lucid At home charger system is done and ready to ship. Via Derek Jenkins the Senior Vice President of Design and Brand at Lucid Motors last week.

This came up at the 50-minute mark in the keynote, during the Q&A session. The question was, is Lucid going to have a home charging system, Derek responded “we already do, it is just launching as we speak.” He added “we have our portable charger, which comes with every car and then we have the high-powered 220 charger which is going to be available, I think, Dave do we know the timing of that? I don’t know. It is done, it is ready to start shipping.”

Quoting myself, but the Lucid At home charger system is done and ready to ship. Via Derek Jenkins the Senior Vice President of Design and Brand at Lucid Motors last week.

This came up at the 50-minute mark in the keynote, during the Q&A session. The question was, is Lucid going to have a home charging system, Derek responded “we already do, it is just launching as we speak.” He added “we have our portable charger, which comes with every car and then we have the high-powered 220 charger which is going to be available, I think, Dave do we know the timing of that? I don’t know. It is done, it is ready to start shipping.”
At the 3:52 mark of this recent <video> Eric Bach brings out the wall charger and there is no notation that this is a future offering, which leads me to believe that it is available now. Although it is impressive with a 100 amp circuit delivering 19.2kW - but who really needs that much juice to charge at home?

At the 3:52 mark of this recent <video> Eric Bach brings out the wall charger and there is no notation that this is a future offering, which leads me to believe that it is available now. Although it is impressive with a 100 amp circuit delivering 19.2kW - but who really needs that much juice to charge at home?
Don’t know about that but most people may not have the Panel to add that kind of dedicated 100AMP circuit. Most Home Panels are rated for 200 AMPS Unless you live in a McMansion.

Tesla's Gen 2 Wall Connector was also rated for a 100-amp circuit, but for Gen 3 they dropped back to a 60 amp circuit. Makes for a lighter, easier to handle charging cord.

Tesla's Gen 2 Wall Connector was also rated for a 100-amp circuit, but for Gen 3 they dropped back to a 60 amp circuit. Makes for a lighter, easier to handle charging cord.
Also, when available, their Gen-2 Destination Chargers are J1772, but now at 60A.

I see this and my car is in my garage and I am inside the house. Do you think it is reading the temperature in the garage when I snapped this photo or when the Car locked itself?

Attachments

• 090AA151-5057-4CE3-A052-4F04E319AB0E.png
    090AA151-5057-4CE3-A052-4F04E319AB0E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Garage. you will see the temperature change on the app as the garage temp changes.

I see this and my car is in my garage and I am inside the house. Do you think it is reading the temperature in the garage when I snapped this photo or when the Car locked itself?
The app says Parked, hence it is a current reading. If the app said Waking Up, then it could be a temperature from when the car was last awake.

Yuck. If your garage is 109 I fully expect you to get drain, but it's not vsmpire because we know it's going directly to keep your batteries cool. My garage is 94 and my fans are not running.

My garage is 72 In the afternoon. But if I charge the Lucid overnight, it will go up to 84 In the morning. Could heat my house with that in the winter! :)

Back