Lucid Air vs. Mercedes EQS

I think what several of you are missing is that almost all the reviews were on prototypes, not production vehicles. Several articles and videos stated there were issues but that they expected they would be fixed in production. The reviewers aren't going to go into details on what is wrong on a prototype. They go into it expecting there will be some issues - there were some mentions of fit and finish and software being incomplete. But it's excused because it's a prototype - either brilliant strategy by Lucid or just dumb luck.

I think what a lot of folks here are missing is that the software problems are largely being documented by 5-7 posters on this board. This would equate to probably 2% of the Lucid's out there. Additionally, most of the issues mentioned revolve around navigation, alexa, audio, door locks/door opening, and homelink. There also seems to be an unnecessary amount of screen freezes. Most of the issues reported would be considered annoying especially given that they're typically very functional in less expensive cars. Having said that, all but one or two of these primary posters feel that the overall drive and performance of the car is superior and they're willing to cut some slack given Lucid's responsiveness.

The rest of us do not have cars. Despite that there is this furor and malcontentedness because reviewers are not exposing these software faults and Peter is not crawling on his hands and knees to Elon and each individual non-confirmed reservation holder to beg forgiveness. It just seems odd that the outrage is coming mostly from people who are not yet owners and may be out nothing should they choose to never be. We should absolutely highlight that some of these issues should never have happened in the first place, but in the grand scheme of things, if actual owners like @hmp10 are willing to give some time on the software side (and @hmp10 s issues seem to have been the worst by far of the 5-7), it's just really odd that many of the rest of us are so indignant.

So we have some here saying these are media cars and therefore have much better software since it would be unwise to give a problematic car to a reviewer. Makes sense. However if so, as I said before, why give the media the cars with the better software and not the current owners?

Then we have others who say the media is getting prototypes and it’s therefore understood by the reviewers that the software is half baked and the issues can and should be overlooked. Sure, that can make sense too even if I believe the reviewers should all be making at least passing reference to that fact.

However let’s be honest, these are two mutually incompatible views. If one is right the other is wrong.

So we have some here saying these are media cars and therefore have much better software since it would be unwise to give a problematic car to a reviewer. Makes sense. However if so, as I said before, why give the media the cars with the better software and not the current owners?

Then we have others who say the media is getting prototypes and it’s therefore understood by the reviewers that the software is half baked and the issues can and should be overlooked. Sure, that can make sense too even if I believe the reviewers should all be making at least passing reference to that fact.

However let’s be honest, these are two mutually incompatible views. If one is right the other is wrong.
True, but does it really matter? I would think that you can go to these car journalists to get a sense of everything related to driving the car, but the real meat and potatoes of ownership can be found on these forums. Let's put it this way, even people who have been able to test drive the cars, would not have discovered the majority of problems owners are having, because it's just not possible to find them in the limited time you have with the car.

Quite a few reviewers have noted that the navigation and DreamDrive features of the cars they tested were not activated, so they couldn't assess those. And, as another poster said, most car reviewers don't test Homelink on a garage door and some of the other software features not related to road performance. So, a large portion of the problems that are being discussed on this forum are not being encountered and ignored by the reviewers. The reviewers simply aren't testing them.

I have read and watched untold numbers of car reviews over the years of cars I owned at the time the reviews were written. I can remember none that noted every aspect of what I had experienced with the cars. And quite often a reviewer would grind away on a point with which I utterly disagreed. Most car reviewers have a few hours in a car with which owners live day in and day out. By necessity, they focus on those things more apparent or most interesting to them.

Also, I think we're overlooking the many reviews that have pointed out perceived issues with the cars, some of which owners are experiencing and some not: malfunctioning door software, long lag times in software responsiveness, distortion in the glass canopy, excessive road and tire noise in the back seat, a few switches with substandard tactile feel, high knee position in the rear seats, more motor whine than in other EVs, over-aggressive brake regen, etc. Personally, I have found only one of these claimed issues (high knee position) to be material, or even present, in my experience.

Quite a few reviewers have noted that the navigation and DreamDrive features of the cars they tested were not activated, so they couldn't assess those. And, as another poster said, most car reviewers don't test Homelink on a garage door and some of the other software features not related to road performance. So, a large portion of the problems that are being discussed on this forum are not being encountered and ignored by the reviewers. The reviewers simply aren't testing them.

I have read and watched untold numbers of car reviews over the years of cars I owned at the time the reviews were written. I can remember none that noted every aspect of what I had experienced with the cars. And quite often a reviewer would grind away on a point with which I utterly disagreed. Most car reviewers have a few hours in a car with which owners live day in and day out. By necessity, they focus on those things more apparent or most interesting to them.

Also, I think we're overlooking the many reviews that have pointed out perceived issues with the cars, some of which owners are experiencing and some not: malfunctioning door software, long lag times in software responsiveness, distortion in the glass canopy, excessive road and tire noise in the back seat, a few switches with substandard tactile feel, high knee position in the rear seats, more motor whine than in other EVs, over-aggressive brake regen, etc. Personally, I have found only one of these claimed issues (high knee position) to be material, or even present, in my experience.
I had just over an hour on my extensive test drive. As noted by others in this string, I didn't see any deficiencies at all in the driving or comfort experience. I was totally impressed with the quietness of the car and the power was somewhat overwhelming. I have over five years of track experience so I was very interested with the handling on windy roads and wasn't disappointed at all. The only things I noticed missing were the cruise control/Dream Drive and the lack of Apple Play which I was told was definitely coming in a future OTA. So yes there is no way a test drive would reveal problems with Homelink or most of the other problems others here have experienced. Fortunately it does appear Lucid is trying to address all the problems and in that regard I am thankful I have had to wait a little while longer to get my car.

I have soft close doors in my BMW 530e and there are motors If I gently close the door just short of latching, I can hear the motors closing the door.

I have soft close doors in my BMW 530e and there are motors If I gently close the door just short of latching, I can hear the motors closing the door.
The Lucid has those also...

I think what a lot of folks here are missing is that the software problems are largely being documented by 5-7 posters on this board. This would equate to probably 2% of the Lucid's out there. Additionally, most of the issues mentioned revolve around navigation, alexa, audio, door locks/door opening, and homelink. There also seems to be an unnecessary amount of screen freezes. Most of the issues reported would be considered annoying especially given that they're typically very functional in less expensive cars. Having said that, all but one or two of these primary posters feel that the overall drive and performance of the car is superior and they're willing to cut some slack given Lucid's responsiveness.

The rest of us do not have cars. Despite that there is this furor and malcontentedness because reviewers are not exposing these software faults and Peter is not crawling on his hands and knees to Elon and each individual non-confirmed reservation holder to beg forgiveness. It just seems odd that the outrage is coming mostly from people who are not yet owners and may be out nothing should they choose to never be. We should absolutely highlight that some of these issues should never have happened in the first place, but in the grand scheme of things, if actual owners like @hmp10 are willing to give some time on the software side (and @hmp10 s issues seem to have been the worst by far of the 5-7), it's just really odd that many of the rest of us are so indignant.

Amen.

I think what a lot of folks here are missing is that the software problems are largely being documented by 5-7 posters on this board. This would equate to probably 2% of the Lucid's out there.

I get your point and largely agree with it. However, to assess how prevalent these problems might be, the relevant calculation is what percentage these 5-7 posters comprise of the Dream owners who are on this forum, not of all Dream owners out there.

I get your point and largely agree with it. However, to assess how prevalent these problems might be, the relevant calculation is what percentage these 5-7 posters comprise of the Dream owners who are on this forum, not of all Dream owners out there.

I don’t actually think that’s right. The members on this forum are more likely to be the ones who complain because, well, they cared enough to even find the forum. The vast majority of owners won’t, and are likely less nitpicky than anyone here.

But only Lucid really knows.

Agreed...my only point is that the information around problems and issues are largely coming from 5-7 actual car owners. My intention was not to suggest that it's only 2% of Lucid owners having issues. Instead, I was suggesting that we, on this forum, have only heard from 5-7 owners out of roughly 300. All could and likely have had some problems. But we don't know and more importantly we don't know how they feel about it. At least 3 feel strongly enough about them to try to sell their cars. I am more than willing to wait for them to work out the kinks, but I don't know why I'd be angry that they are there in the first place nor would I demand that Peter start shouting them from the rooftops. This sort of vitriol should be reserved for you and everyone else who already has a car. You are the ones impacted. I'm just an interested party who has a $1000 deposit down that may or may not be refundable. As such, if I don't like what they're doing, my options are to deal with it or not buy the car. Anger about something I don't already own just seems misplaced.

Agreed...my only point is that the information around problems and issues are largely coming from 5-7 actual car owners. My intention was not to suggest that it's only 2% of Lucid owners having issues. Instead, I was suggesting that we, on this forum, have only heard from 5-7 owners out of roughly 300. All could and likely have had some problems. But we don't know and more importantly we don't know how they feel about it. At least 3 feel strongly enough about them to try to sell their cars. I am more than willing to wait for them to work out the kinks, but I don't know why I'd be angry that they are there in the first place nor would I demand that Peter start shouting them from the rooftops. This sort of vitriol should be reserved for you and everyone else who already has a car. You are the ones impacted. I'm just an interested party who has a $1000 deposit down that may or may not be refundable. As such, if I don't like what they're doing, my options are to deal with it or not buy the car. Anger about something I don't already own just seems misplaced.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Also, keep in mind that some folks are flipping their cars because that was their goal from the beginning; at 60k-100k above MSRP a Dream edition wasn’t a bad investment from that standpoint haha.

@hydbob, I'm really confused. So does your Lucid have automatic doors or not? A recent comment by @hmp10 seems to suggest his one does not (based on what the service guy told him while picking up his car).

All the Dream Editions do have soft close doors. What they don’t have is *power* doors - that is, you have to open and close the door yourself. But as soon as it’s within latching range, the door will latch itself, thus “soft close”.

The trunk and frunk are both *powered* doors, which close and open with a button press.

@hydbob, I'm really confused. So does your Lucid have automatic doors or not? A recent comment by @hmp10 seems to suggest his one does not (based on what the service guy told him while picking up his car).
There are no automatic open/close doors, but there is soft close on all doors.

Yea soft close which is what Steve was saying, sorry should have been more specific.

@borski, @hydbob and @Alex, thank you all for clarifying that. In my mind, soft close and power doors were one and the same thing. Clearly, that is not the case. Thanks.

I honestly prefer soft close. I’m too terrified of power doors dinging cars next to me in a parking spot, heh

Back