Lucid Air Touring or Tesla Model S LR

That sure is a beautiful wheel. I have to say that 35-series tires do not look like enough rubber for the streets near me.

I would not mix except in an emergency and then only for a limited time. Mixing tires is not that big a deal if you drive accordingly. I would only be using the Mustang spare to see fitment within the frunk as it is not of the size recommended.

So is that gap in the foam where the plug is? As in, did they cut the foam there?

I do not think so -- I think that gap between foam strips is in all of these 21" Pirelli tires. The Lucid service guy who was changing the tire at my home showed me the foam inside the tires and mine also had that gap. (my tire was not plugged, it had a "bulge" in it).

All 21" tire owners should be diligent about inspecting tires because there have been "quite a few" bulges in these tires, according to my fantastically cool and honest Lucid technician.

I do not think so -- I think that gap between foam strips is in all of these 21" Pirelli tires. The Lucid service guy who was changing the tire at my home showed me the foam inside the tires and mine also had that gap. (my tire was not plugged, it had a "bulge" in it).

All 21" tire owners should be diligent about inspecting tires because there have been "quite a few" bulges in these tires, according to my fantastically cool and honest Lucid technician.
I checked all my tires last wash and I guess I've been lucky, 3900 miles and counting

I have order 19" wheels for my GT but I'm curious about one thing. Are these bulges in the sidewall? If so, how will you even see if there is a bulge on the inside edge (i.e. not the sidewall facing outwards).

I have order 19" wheels for my GT but I'm curious about one thing. Are these bulges in the sidewall? If so, how will you even see if there is a bulge on the inside edge (i.e. not the sidewall facing outwards).
Oh great...nightmare fuel!

No, the foam has a gap in all tires, but I don't know why. I had to replace two tires. Both had the gap as well as the new ones.

This is a reject tire because of the nail, showing the gap.

I’ve read somewhere that Pirelli designed these tires specifically for the Air due to the heavy weight. Tire Rack, however, does list alternative tires from Michelin and others at lower price. Looks like they are all XL load rating, though, as opposed to the HL rating for Pirelli. Interesting that Tire Rack obviously thinks XL is sufficiently safe for Air.

Yes, Installed original Pirelli Zero tires are special make for Lucid only.

I am not aware that Lucid recommends any alternate tires.

It is good to know if alternate tires are available.

Great question. Here’s what a “bulge” looks like on the outside. Presumably this could happen on the inside and the owner would not even see it. So I guess we should periodically feel the inside sidewall as best we can? Also FYI, my technician replaced my tire free of charge as a warranty issue - she says they are submitting these to Pirelli.

Attachments

• B99410C9-6651-4946-BB6A-423775DC8F75.jpeg
    B99410C9-6651-4946-BB6A-423775DC8F75.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • DCA51649-9251-4D04-8075-565E44A2BCB8.jpeg
    DCA51649-9251-4D04-8075-565E44A2BCB8.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 140
Michelin is due out with Pilot Sport EV and Pilot Sport SUV-EV tires this year. Not sure if they will have sizes appropriate for the Air.

Sooner or later there will be good replacement tires from other brands, I hope.

I had best luck with Pirelli zero tires for over 25 years. Not so sure why they are failing so much.

Reposting this from Facebook for interest. Confirming that Model S wheels can work in a pinch.

1649126863732.png

Attachments

• 1649126603654.png
    1649126603654.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Sooner or later there will be good replacement tires from other brands, I hope.

I had best luck with Pirelli zero tires for over 25 years. Not so sure why they are failing so much.
Same here. I suspect it is the weight of the Air. But Pirelli Sottozero is a fantastic snow tire on the Model S, which although 400 pounds lighter than the Air is still a very heavy car.

I believe the Air and Model S have the same lug pattern and offsets.

Back