Lucid Air Sapphire Drag Race

Porsche has a very loyal customer base to a point where once they're in they don't typically move away from them and when you ask a Porsche driver why the response typically is the performance and driving dynamics over anything else. I'm not a Porsche guy and even I like the Taycan I would've purchased it in a heartbeat if it wasn't for their software strategy just not being what they promised, similar to Audi.
My last 3 cars were Porsches. I switched over to the Lucid GT. Don't know if I am a outlier or not.

True. It's either being number 1st, or not. Very few people remember or care what's the 2nd or 3rd fastest car. For lot of folks with deep pocket, it's either be on top of the league, or no-go.

Lucid can now claim its technology enables longest range, fastest charge, and QUICKEST acceleration. This is golden for marketing.
They have EVERYTHING

Agree, for a $250k toy I'd get a proper sports car. At least with a Sapphire you won't have to play the manufacturer's games with preferred buyers, allocations, etc. You can just buy one.

On the other hand, unlike a Ferrari, the depreciation on the Sapphire is unknown and will probably be steep.
When I was in. Boston a couple of months ago and spoke with the folks in the studio the intel from them was the Sapphire would be pretty limited production

If that is true, depreciation may not be bad

Cost of the model is an entertaining topic as you typically have non linear costs to go from great to greater

i hope someone in Chicago gets one so I can see it blast by my GT-P

It will be interesting to see what performance changes can be had (if any) when this car gets into the hands of people who know how to remove software limiting restrictions like they did with a plaid not too long ago.

My last 3 cars were Porsches. I switched over to the Lucid GT. Don't know if I am a outlier or not.
Can you elaborate more on your experience?

Let's not forget, neither Rawlinson nor Musk reviled their "ace in the sleeve" tricks.
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Lucid's single motor produces max of 670 HP. Multiply this by three (theoretically).

Cost of the model is an entertaining topic as you typically have non linear costs to go from great to greater

i hope someone in Chicago gets one so I can see it blast by my GT-P
Supralinear cost but infralinear performance deltas. Seriously, will it be all that noticeable against a GT-P?

Let's not forget, neither Rawlinson nor Musk reviled their "ace in the sleeve" tricks.
I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Lucid's single motor produces max of 670 HP. Multiply this by three (theoretically).
True but it’s also limited by the battery pack and tires, among other things. We shall see!

I look forward to learning the Nurburgring lap time for the Sapphire. As a lifelong Porsche fan and former owner, I kind of feel bad. Porsche's have always been a lot more than just straight-line speed, but the suspension and power of the Sapphire are likely to prove to be better on the Nurburgring circuit than the Taycan's.

I look forward to learning the Nurburgring lap time for the Sapphire. As a lifelong Porsche fan and former owner, I kind of feel bad. Porsche's have always been a lot more than just straight-line speed, but the suspension and power of the Sapphire are likely to prove to be better on the Nurburgring circuit than the Taycan's.
This is great stuff. Porsche has already teased a 3-motor Taycan and surely Tesla has the Plaid+ waiting in the wings. 2023 should be an interesting year.

Not by me as I doubt I will ever fully wring out my GT-P
i am a sucker for those carboceramic brakes
Carbon ceramic brakes are definitely awesome and handle heat very well. My only experience with them was on my 991 Turbo S on hot days at the track. Unless one plans to track the Air it is unlikely that the stock brake discs will wear out or overheat given the regenerative braking. My brake calipers rarely touch the discs because I hardly ever apply the brakes. Keep in mind that ceramic discs can be fragile and they are rather expensive to replace. Be careful when mounting and removing center-lock wheels for cars with CCB's.

The argument that will always come up with Lucid is the cost. Yes, it's cheaper than a Bugatti but it's production EV rival comes in at $130K vs. $250K
But the plaid is 125k or around there. Technically if we're comparing price points the sapphire costs as much as the new theoretical roadster which is around 250k

And comparing it to the plaid which is half the price I don't think boasts too much, although it's super impressive and borderline mind blowing to see a car get so close to 9 seconds on the quarter mile

This is the part that did confuse me about the Sapphire. The pricing choice was significant enough to strip bragging rights from it and given the to the Plaid which is 100k cheaper. I don’t understand why they didn’t compromise somewhere to bring that cost down or even up the performance of the AGT to a tri motor system. Given the AGT is technically the same price as a Plaid today, adding a tri motor variant of it would have at least given some bragging rights… right? 100k for a performance jump like that just doesn’t seem… great… price wise. Again, it’s good for publicity, but not when you’re comparing vehicles to buy on paper. Sort of what makes this model Vaporware.
I think the reason was because the sapphire is a commercial vehicle, there's no points for Lucid if they win an award on a configuration they put together just to beat the plaid, they wanted to make it officially the fastest production vehicle in the world.
Again, why quite a few of our members are pissed off at Sapphire's results?
Kind of amusing to me.
I think it's just because of the plaid comparisons and it's 100k cheaper, although Bugatti is in the group and that has a 3+ million price tag

I wonder how the sapphire will fair up to the New Roadster that was supposed to come out years ago

Rewatched it, quite few times.
Sapphire, 5400 lbs body weight vs Plaid's 4800?
Pure WOW on my part.

Last edited:
I wonder how the sapphire will fair up to the New Roadster that was supposed to come out years ago
When/if it does, the Sapphire suppose to beat it easily :)

And comparing it to the plaid which is half the price I don't think boasts too much
I find it weird when people say "the model s plaid is half the price of the sapphire, and its almost as fast". Ok, it costs half as much... but two model s plaids still wont beat one sapphire. its not like owning two model s plaids will make it go twice as fast. you pay more, you get more. and just because tesla thinks its fastest car is worth "x", doesn't mean lucid has to think their fastest car has to be the same price too. they arent the same company

Jason Camissa hit the drag strip with a Sapphire, a Model S Plaid, a Bugatti Chiron, and a Ducati racing bike.

I find it weird when people say "the model s plaid is half the price of the sapphire, and its almost as fast". Ok, it costs half as much... but two model s plaids still wont beat one sapphire. its not like owning two model s plaids will make it go twice as fast. you pay more, you get more. and just because tesla thinks its fastest car is worth "x", doesn't mean lucid has to think their fastest car has to be the same price too. they arent the same company
Very well said.

Back