[Lucid Air Pure] To Dual or Not To Dual, that is the question

One vroom or Two vroom vrooms?

• Total voters
If we were trying to save the world a RWD is more efficient and despite the perception that 4wd is better in inclimate weather, the smart choice is the RWD. Mostly 4wd in bad weather helps you go faster when you should be going slower. I have a DE performance so this answer is 100% hypocritical.

OP, I believe the choice is ultimately dependent on where one lives. AWD is important for snowy cities.
Yes! We moved to Reno, and I drove a 2WD Expedition in the ice and snow. Not a great idea!!

If we were trying to save the world a RWD is more efficient and despite the perception that 4wd is better in inclimate weather, the smart choice is the RWD. Mostly 4wd in bad weather helps you go faster when you should be going slower. I have a DE performance so this answer is 100% hypocritical.
I thought in inclimate weather FWD was the way to go?

A 2wd Expedition with same tires as a 4wd, I would be happy to travel the same roads In the 2wd. I got lots of practice in 2wd in Cleveland before there was traction control. If road conditions are so bad you think it is only ok because you have 4wd vs 2wd, better to stay home.
I thought in inclimate weather FWD was the way to go?
4wd drive is great. I drove a lot in Cleveland with RWD and FWD before traction control. Weight on the drive wheels helps. RWD in a 911 is pretty fun on snow and ice with the right tires. 4wd does give some people false confidence and they go to fast When conditions are slick. If the weather is bad and you wouldn’t go out in 2wd, you should probably stay home even if you have 4wd.

A 2wd Expedition with same tires as a 4wd, I would be happy to travel the same roads In the 2wd. I got lots of practice in 2wd in Cleveland before there was traction control. If road conditions are so bad you think it is only ok because you have 4wd vs 2wd, better to stay home.

4wd drive is great. I drove a lot in Cleveland with RWD and FWD before traction control. Weight on the drive wheels helps. RWD in a 911 is pretty fun on snow and ice with the right tires. 4wd does give some people false confidence and they go to fast When conditions are slick. If the weather is bad and you wouldn’t go out in 2wd, you should probably stay home even if you have 4wd.
When I lived in Colorado, at 7500' elevation, I only had RWD. I seemed to have observed only 4WD/AWD vehicles in accidents; the 2WD folks knew that 4WD "wasn't going to save them" and drove carefully. People would give their teenagers the 4WD vehicles to drive to school in the snow and ice, but didn't teach them that driving too fast and braking on slick roads is really no different in 4WD vs. 2WD.

Pure is "up to 480 HP" The RWD motor may be power restricted. right?

The Lucid website is all over the place in how it cites power output numbers. Some models give a firm number (GT, AT), some say "up to" or "max" (DE-P, DE-R, GT-P, Pure),
and one (the Sapphire) says "plus". Except for the Sapphire, which is still in powertrain development, I suspect the other numbers are cited in such inconsistent ways due to sloppiness in the website content. This happens in other areas on the website where, for instance, an interior shot of a model with the larger battery pack shows the rear seating of a model with the smaller battery pack.

The Lucid motors used in all the models (except the DE rear motor) are capable of producing 670 hp. The power output is limited in all those models by the capacity of the battery pack to deliver current, which varies not only by the size of the pack but by its state of charge and environmental conditions. I suspect the Pure is given as "up to" 480 hp to reflect not differences in the motor but rather the fact that you'll only get the full stated power from a battery pack at the higher states of charge operating in an optimal temperature envelope.

. . . despite the perception that 4wd is better in inclimate weather, the smart choice is the RWD. Mostly 4wd in bad weather helps you go faster when you should be going slower.

Having lived in the snows of Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Illinois, and Indiana, I believe the claim that 4WD is better in inclement weather is based on more than just a perception or about more than wanting to drive too fast for conditions.

Particularly in the steep hills of New England, unpowered front wheels just become snow plows if you're driving on untended roads, further increasing the traction demands on the rear wheels at the very time traction at those wheels is most limited. I have lived in houses where only 4WD could get me in or out of the driveways if the snow plowman hadn't yet gotten to us.

What people most often get wrong about 4WD drive is the perception that it also brakes better. It doesn't, as all modern cars have 4-wheel braking. Consequently, more people drive faster than they should in inclement weather with 4WD due to misplaced confidence in braking ability. Because they get better forward traction with 4WD drive, they wrongly assume they have better braking traction than in a 2WD vehicle.

but 911 is ICE. i dont think you can tell a pure RWD from AWD with the same scenario lol
You can !! drive a Rivian in AWD and then switch to two wheel drive and the change is obvious. True the two wheel system drives the front wheels, so it's even more pronounced, but the difference is noticeable.

Personally, I prefer AWD, but your choice in tire and whether you drive like an idiot or not plays more of a role in winter traction.

360 degree view is tied to DD Pro only, RWD or AWD has no affect on cameras

As far as we know, the interior differences between Pure and Touring is no Alcantara headliner, nonvented vegan leather seats instead of vented leather seats, no retractable rear shades. In terms of monochromatic material, that's the color scheme for Mojave which is one of the available options for all trims but the only option Pure can select. But we'll know more details by Nov 15
Also no power frunk

RWD at 460hp should meet most peoples needs. I drove a 200hp FWD decades old ICE car in distinct geographical areas with distinct weather. However we are wired to think more is better and wanting more than what we need. Hence we look for more computing power in a cellphone than what is required for typical usage. So I may go with AWD after all.
I was never comfortable driving RWD Lexus LS430 on snow and took FWD Sienna instead. So, I decided to get AWD. I never really felt the need for more HP on snow. It only spins the wheels.

im trying to find official source for this. the compare doesn't list full specs - https://www.lucidmotors.com/air/configure

will it be a nuisance?
it will probably be as much of nuissance as it was/is compared to Tesla frunks

source: ask an informed SA, see the sticky thread on Pure Standard Equipment

if you want official source, wait til tomorrow's Pure deput

Very true but with RWD, 480 can be a lot of fun. I don't have to worry about snow and ice here in Scottsdale.
Has anyone else noticed that the Lucid website now reads; "Up to 480 hp, rear-wheel drive with available all wheel drive." My read on this is that the AWD version will now have 480 hp, and the RWD version will have less. I guess that we will learn more later today.

Only announced AWD as 480 hp with 410 miles of range and charging rate of 200 miles in 15 min
I was told that the motor is capable of producing 670 hp. I really don't understand the rationale behind limiting the attractiveness of their products but with no benefits of reducing the cost. It will only make them less competitive this way.

Back