[Lucid Air Pure] To Dual or Not To Dual, that is the question

One vroom or Two vroom vrooms?

• Total voters

changinator

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
For Air Pure reservation holders, are you opting for the Dual Motors, AWD or the Single Motor, RWD option? I am curious also, what are your main reasons for choosing one option over the other?

For Air Pure reservation holders, are you opting for the Dual Motors, AWD or the Single Motor, RWD option? I am curious also, what are your main reasons for choosing one option over the other?
RWD at 460hp should meet most peoples needs. I drove a 200hp FWD decades old ICE car in distinct geographical areas with distinct weather. However we are wired to think more is better and wanting more than what we need. Hence we look for more computing power in a cellphone than what is required for typical usage. So I may go with AWD after all.

OP, I believe the choice is ultimately dependent on where one lives. AWD is important for snowy cities.

Pure is "up to 480 HP" The RWD motor may be power restricted. right?
I am pretty simple when it comes to dealing with vendors. The clear implication of all the advertising has been that the Pure will be around 480 HP; if they materially reduce that, I lose trust and then move on to another seller. If I can't trust the car company on this, can I trust it on its warranty, etc.?

But having said that, I have no reason to believe that Lucid is materially decontenting the Pure. Hence I am still anxiously waiting for mine.

I suspect Lucid will not start production of the RWD cars until the AWD orders are filled. You can blindfold me and I bet I can tell a 911 AWD from a RWD before I leave the parking lot.

I suspect Lucid will not start production of the RWD cars until the AWD orders are filled. You can blindfold me and I bet I can tell a 911 AWD from a RWD before I leave the parking lot.
They definitely have a different feel.

While I want my Lucid Air, I am in a good place as I have OEM like insurance on my BMW until the end of 2024 and that car is a very comfortable DD.

Still waiting how the AWD option will affect the mileage. Maybe will drop to 370mi? In that case I will go single and mileage is significantly more important to me.

I would have the option to drive to Tahoe if I have an AWD but I only go there when my brother does and he has an SUV better equipped for snow travel. Not sure I'd wanna take the Air to snow if I can avoid it, but the thought of being able to is nice.

Both the Pure and Touring have the same estimated mileage, so I'd suggest no impact to mileage whether you go dual or single. We'll all KNOW a lot more come 11/15 when the officially announce specs/content/etc. But as for me, since the AWD version is only a 5K upcharge (compared to the base price of the vehicle), I'm looking at dual.

480 HP is more than enough for me.
Dual motor means more power consumption per mile.
I drive from Fort Myers, Florida to Boston, Massachusetts, and back, every year, and never in the snow.
Therefore, unless Lucid has a different battery configuration for the Pure dual motor vs the single motor, I'll take the RWD version.

Am I remembering correctly that without AWD one does not get the 360 degree view or is that tied to the DD Pro update only?

What also concerns me about the Pure which I have originally reserved and confirmed is the de-contenting of the interior. When I compare it to the Touring on the configurator, the differing fabrics that gave the interior punch seem to be replaced with monochromatic material which makes it look like a Chevy Malibu. Is this right or is my perception off?

I got the AWD because of the occasional spin 2WDs have, at stop signs on rainy days. Its worse in light snow. I also belive the difference in power will he noticeable, like comparing a 4cyl to. 6cyl

480 HP is more than enough for me.
Dual motor means more power consumption per mile.
I drive from Fort Myers, Florida to Boston, Massachusetts, and back, every year, and never in the snow.
Therefore, unless Lucid has a different battery configuration for the Pure dual motor vs the single motor, I'll take the RWD version.
I don't believe the dual motor will give less mileage because the 520 mile GT edition is a dual motor which gives the best mileage

Am I remembering correctly that without AWD one does not get the 360 degree view or is that tied to the DD Pro update only?

What also concerns me about the Pure which I have originally reserved and confirmed is the de-contenting of the interior. When I compare it to the Touring on the configurator, the differing fabrics that gave the interior punch seem to be replaced with monochromatic material which makes it look like a Chevy Malibu. Is this right or is my perception off?
They're sorting that out on the fly, but have remained fairly stable for months now. That's why the Nov. 15 "launch" is such a big deal - everything gets baked and questions get answered. But in regards to interior - I don't think there's any significant change in that over time. The Pure has only ever had one interior color and material option.

If you're basing your decision purely on horsepower, the Pure should have plenty. During my demo drive, the SA said it's equivalent to the GT in Smooth mode. I experienced all 3 modes in the GT, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. When I floored it, my back compressed the cushion pretty well in all 3 modes.

360 degree view is tied to DD Pro only, RWD or AWD has no affect on cameras

As far as we know, the interior differences between Pure and Touring is no Alcantara headliner, nonvented vegan leather seats instead of vented leather seats, no retractable rear shades. In terms of monochromatic material, that's the color scheme for Mojave which is one of the available options for all trims but the only option Pure can select. But we'll know more details by Nov 15

but 911 is ICE. i dont think you can tell a pure RWD from AWD with the same scenario lol

Montreal gets its fair share of snow in the winter, not to mention that snow cleaning from the city takes forever, so AWD it is for me.

Regarding range I'm not so worried about AWD vs RWD. However I'm definitely worried about this news of two different packs for the Touring. Meaning the Pure will get the smaller of the two packs. Do we still get the 406mi of range? I guess we'll know only next week.

Back