Lucid Air Production Delay

Cars will never be on current generation "chips" due to the stringent testing protocols required for use in what is essentially a 2 ton deadly weapon.

There is a lot more to why most automotive chips do not use the most advanced generation of Si technology than testing and reliability. Yes testing does add a few months to the new product cycle but there are several other reasons. The vehicle design cycle is multiple years and adds much more than testing adds. Legacy ICE automakers typically have a three year development cycle. In addition, most semiconductor companies sale their chips to Tier 1 automotive module suppliers like Continental, Bosch, Harmon, Panasonic, Denso, ... etc. Their development cycle will add another 6 months or year to the development cycle.

In addition, there are only a few automotive functions like CPUs and image processors that can take advantage of the latest semiconductor technology from a power and computational performance point of view. Functions like ADAS image processing, instrument clusters and infotainment use more advance semiconductor technology than other functions. The most important reason is that the majority of automotive semiconductors are analog circuits that interact with either people or the environment. The most advanced semiconductor technologies are not capable or cost effective in these applications. Applications like radar, sensors, engine control, transmission control, airbags, chassis and body control, braking, steering assist, traction control, etc.

Automotive companies do not change their orders on a monthly basis but they do not have the same long term contracts that companies like Apple and Samsung will have. When the COVID occurred last year, automotive companies drastically cut their orders as they idled factories. At the same time people started working from home creating demand for home office and home automation products. These companies did take the semiconductor capacity that the automotive companies had before. While automotive capacity has been increasing in 2021 a couple of natural events have continued to limit supply. The February winter storm in Texas took many wafer fabs (Samsung, NXP, TI, AMD, etc.) out of commission for several months. The recent flooding in Germany took out a primary copper supplier that is used in automotive semiconductor packaging.

As far as counting semiconductor content in cars, most people in the industry use dollar value instead of number of units. The picture below is a Continental traction control module. Is it one semiconductor or 100 for all of the components? Electrification and autonomous driving are the two biggest growth areas for semiconductors.

1631765251937.png

As far as counting semiconductor content in cars, most people in the industry use dollar value instead of number of units.

That explains something from the government briefing paper cited earlier, which I thought was an odd metric to use. The briefing said, "Conventional vehicles contain an average of $330 value of semiconductor content while hybrid electric vehicles can contain up to $1,000 and 3,500 semiconductors."

Thanks for the in-depth explanation of all this.

I just got off the phone with Lucid and found out something interesting I hadn't heard before. The start of production is awaiting the crash test results. Once those are in, the production dates will be announced. I also discovered that the EPA ratings on the Air Touring and Air Pure will be forthcoming within the next few days.

I just received an email from Lucid asking me to make the final configuration and to confirm my Dream Edition order. I did so, and it has processed.

Chose the "Performance" version in Zenith Red with 21" wheels.

I just received an email from Lucid asking me to make the final configuration and to confirm my Dream Edition order. I did so, and it has processed.
Same here. Configured with "Dream Edition Range, Sparkling Gold Metallic Paint, Santa Monica Interior, 19" Aero Range Wheels, Glass Canopy Roof and AWD Drivetrain". The range is what I'm after. Also, the gold is a Dream edition exclusive, so it might be worth something extra 10 years from now.

Same here. Configured with "Dream Edition Range, Sparkling Gold Metallic Paint, Santa Monica Interior, 19" Aero Range Wheels, Glass Canopy Roof and AWD Drivetrain". The range is what I'm after. Also, the gold is a Dream edition exclusive, so it might be worth something extra 10 years from now.
Especially if Lucid is still around in 10 years. ;)

Now this brings up the scenario we’ve discussed awhile back. They’re asking orders to be finalized (is that correct?) without anyone having test driven the car.

Now this brings up the scenario we’ve discussed awhile back. They’re asking orders to be finalized (is that correct?) without anyone having test driven the car.

This is more usual than you might think.

Rivian is on the verge of shipping the first R1T pickups to customers, most of whom have neither seen nor driven the vehicles.

We took delivery on August 21 of a Tesla Model S Plaid, none of which were available to see or to drive at the showroom where we ordered or the delivery center where we took delivery. In fact, our car arrived at the delivery center a week before actual delivery, and we drove up to examine the car. We found it sitting on the lot and identified it as ours by the VIN. Yet the delivery center refused to let us sit in it or even open it up to get a clearer view of the interior than we were able to get through the tinted windows. We had to submit full payment for the car 24 hours before delivery, having never even sat in one. (Given how bizarre that steering yoke is, Tesla would be wise to sell as many as they can before letting a customer drive one.)

At least with Lucid we have visited two Design Studios where we were allowed to spend as much time sitting in the car and playing with its interior bits and bobs as we liked.

Yes, that’s what they’re asking. I actually got a phone call a half hour ago confirming that I clicked on the proper stuff. I suppose I could just have not confirmed it and waited to drive the car. They told me that I was one of the first ones to confirm. They also mention the emails went out in the order of reservations, but the sales person‘s understanding was that the building of the car would commence based on the order of confirmations.

They also asked about if I have some home charging, but also pointed out that the car comes with a mobile charger for both 120V and 240V.

When they asked about any other concerns I had, I asked about Satellite XM Radio. The sales person didn’t know and would look into it. I was actually told at the Scottsdale opening that it would have it, but it seems that no one really knows.

So this confirms you folks are braver than me. I’d be very uncomfortable committing to something in the price range of a Dream, where I was not yet given the opportunity to test drive the vehicle.

The Tesla Plaid is a bit different, sans that odd steering yoke. Having owned a MS, I wouldn’t have the same hesitancy since, for the most part, it’s a known entity. Granted that steering yoke would probably dissuade me personally from buying the car, but I don’t view it in quite the same way as the Lucid.

Call set up for 11:00 a.m. tomorrow EDT with my newly-assigned “delivery advisor”.

So this confirms you folks are braver than me. I’d be very uncomfortable committing to something in the price range of a Dream, where I was not yet given the opportunity to test drive the vehicle.

Over the years of voraciously reading every car magazine I could get my hands on, I have found that I almost invariably agree with professional car reviewers when they report on a car's acceleration, braking, and handling dynamics. Where I have most often disagreed with them when I've sampled the cars personally is on seating comfort, roominess, and control ergonomics.

Fortunately, four visits to Design Studios have given me ample opportunity to assess the latter category of traits and, with the exception of a bit of disappointment in rear vertical leg room and worry about intrusive roof rails, I am delighted with the Air. From the glowing reports of multiple journalists who have ridden in the car and Jonny Lieberman's two-day test drive which blew him away, I'm comfortable that the first category of traits will suit me just fine.

Just had the call with my "Delivery Advisor". Her primary task was to get all the registration and payment information from me. Even though I am paying cash, she wanted to tell me that Bank of America will offer preferential loan rates and a special concierge service with dedicated loan consultants who will expedite financing for Lucid customers.

She wanted to know if we had any ownership history of EVs and how versed we were with charging protocols. The car will come with a portable wall connector that will add 40 miles of range per hour off a 240-volt 50-amp line. The bi-directional permanent wall connector is not yet through the certification process, but Lucid expects it to become available sometime in Q4.

As Florida has not yet issued Lucid a dealer license and it is uncertain when they will, Lucid is not planning at this point to deliver cars out of their Florida Design Studios or Service Centers. Our car will be delivered to the home.

I was told delivery dates will be two to four months out and that cars are being put on the production schedule in the order in which the calls with the Delivery Advisers are taking place. She said our call was one of the earliest ones, and that would put us near the front of the delivery queue. I will get a call when our car goes into production, but the VIN will not be issued until near the end of production.

No date is yet known for release of crash test results.

She confirmed there is a possibility the early cars will be built with the motors for power-door operation, with later activation of the feature through software updates, but she said no final decision has come down.

Based on this call, I'm guessing delivery sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited:
As I have dropped plans to take delivery of a Rivian R1S, I had quit following developments with Rivian closely. Today I decided to check whether Rivian met its promise to start R1T pickup truck deliveries in September. As near as I can tell, they met the promise only by delivering a few trucks to employees. No members of the general public have received their trucks yet.

And now Amazon is pressuring Rivian to focus on van deliveries, as Rivian has specific delivery deadlines in its contract with Amazon. Truck buyers on the Rivian forum are now wondering if they will see any trucks before spring 2022. (My reservation is for the R1S SUV. I suspect I would not have seen it until next summer.)

I have checked the sites where people have been posting about their Lucid reservations -- two Rivian forums, Reddit, Tesla Motors Club threads on Lucid -- to see if anyone with a Dream Edition reservation has yet been given a VIN or a delivery date. Except for two posts which have since proven false (as the claimed delivery dates have come and gone), no one is reporting any contact from Lucid about specific delivery dates. And earlier this week, my Delivery Advisor confirmed that no VINs or specific delivery dates have been communicated to any buyers.

I'm wondering if Lucid will meet its promise of late October deliveries by delivering the cars built for directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors -- but not for general customers.

As I have dropped plans to take delivery of a Rivian R1S, I had quit following developments with Rivian closely. Today I decided to check whether Rivian met its promise to start R1T pickup truck deliveries in September. As near as I can tell, they met the promise only by delivering a few trucks to employees. No members of the general public have received their trucks yet.

And now Amazon is pressuring Rivian to focus on van deliveries, as Rivian has specific delivery deadlines in its contract with Amazon. Truck buyers on the Rivian forum are now wondering if they will see any trucks before spring 2022. (My reservation is for the R1S SUV. I suspect I would not have seen it until next summer.)

I have checked the sites where people have been posting about their Lucid reservations -- two Rivian forums, Reddit, Tesla Motors Club threads on Lucid -- to see if anyone with a Dream Edition reservation has yet been given a VIN or a delivery date. Except for two posts which have since proven false (as the claimed delivery dates have come and gone), no one is reporting any contact from Lucid about specific delivery dates. And earlier this week, my Delivery Advisor confirmed that no VINs or specific delivery dates have been communicated to any buyers.

I'm wondering if Lucid will meet its promise of late October deliveries by delivering the cars built for directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors -- but not for general customers.
I would not be surprised one bit if customers don't see deliveries till December. My guess is between Thanksgiving and Christmas as a "we met the end of the year promise". I do believe they were getting close to deliveries but my guesstimate is that between the ride quality (mostly road noise) issues that multiple people point out during the factory trials and soon after, AND the main in-car user interface software needing final tuning they will most likely hold off deliveries till those items are possibly (hopefully) addressed. I feel like even the factory road tests were in cars that had limited touchscreen functionality and I didn't see any videos that walk you thru the various features the screens provide. Even the test drivers seemed like they were instructed (and diligently watched by the passenger seat lucid employee) so as to make sure they didn't touch any of the screens beyond what was agreed upon.
Just my observations and 'reading in between lines'. Hopefully I am proved wrong and we get a delivery update sooner but I am not holding my breath!

Back