Lucid Air Dream Edition DC Fast Charge Comparison

lambo

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
BMRXHIBL
Interesting YouTube comparison of 0-100% charging times for a Lucid Air Dream Edition on a 150kW charger vs. on a 350kW charger.

The 150kW time lapse charging video is recent. The 350kW time lapse charging video was done in November. I wonder if the charging curve has changed from November to now?

In any case, really impressive charging performance by the Lucid Air Dream Edition.

Lucid Air Dream Edition DC Fast Charge Comparison

Read the article earlier today. The time taken to charge for 300mi range is very similar (6mins difference). This is good. You don't have to go out of your way to find a 350KW charger because 150 is still fast.

Yeah I watched Tom's video on YouTube. It was very enlightening. He is planning to do another video with the Lucid charging from 10% to 80% which is in his opinion a much more realistic charging situation. Hopefully that will show something in the 20 minute range.

Yeah I watched Tom's video on YouTube. It was very enlightening. He is planning to do another video with the Lucid charging from 10% to 80% which is in his opinion a much more realistic charging situation. Hopefully that will show something in the 20 minute range.
10-80 is going to take 31 minutes in a 350. I did that exact charge yesterday.

EV newbie question...
Is it not accurate to look at the charging time graph from Tom's video and look at the time difference between any two SOC to see the charging time between them?
Does starting at 0% make the 20% to 50% charging time any different than starting at 20%?

EV newbie question...
Is it not accurate to look at the charging time graph from Tom's video and look at the time difference between any two SOC to see the charging time between them?
Does starting at 0% make the 20% to 50% charging time any different than starting at 20%?
Based on Tom's graphs, it will make a difference for the 350kW charger since the current drawn ramps down after some time. Maybe not for the 150kW case.

Let me ask that question a different way...
From tom's graphs, on a 350kW charger, it took 12 minutes to get from 0% to 40%, and 22 minutes to get from 0% to 60%.
If the charge starts at 40% on the same 350kW charger, can I assume it will take 10 minutes to get to 60%?

Let me ask that question a different way...
From tom's graphs, on a 350kW charger, it took 12 minutes to get from 0% to 40%, and 22 minutes to get from 0% to 60%.
If the charge starts at 40% on the same 350kW charger, can I assume it will take 10 minutes to get to 60%?
@Swiftse3, it should be lower than 10 minutes because the 350kW charger draws a larger amount of current in the beginning and then ramps it down due to heating issues. How much lower than 10 mins... I need to look at the graph and do some calculations.

@pam4_AGT ... Thanks. I was assuming the flattening of the charging curve was a function of the SOC.

The real answer is "maybe" because no one has done enough testing with the Lucid to test different charging rates at different SOC. 0-40 COULD be the same as 20-60 or 10-50 or for your specific example the 40-60 could take 10 minutes or longer because Lucid could change how much energy goes into the batteries dependent on SOC or they could do it according to thermal temp or some combination of the two. I'm sure that they will be changing the curve as time moves forward after looking at degradation and adjusting the TMS to optimize charging times while minimizing battery damage.

How many miles of range did that session give you? How much over 300 to be exact?
It depends. Filling a 118kW battery by 70% = adding 82.6kW. EPA range in a Dream with 19” tires on a 118kW battery is about 4.4 miles per kW it would be 363 miles. HOWEVER, if you have a Dream performance with 21 inch tires, speed, in sprint mode and/or drive aggressivly and say only get 2.5 kW per mile it might be only 200 miles. So YMMV

It depends. Filling a 118kW battery by 70% = adding 82.6kW. EPA range in a Dream with 19” tires on a 118kW battery is about 4.4 miles per kW it would be 363 miles. HOWEVER, if you have a Dream performance with 21 inch tires, speed, in sprint mode and/or drive aggressivly and say only get 2.5 kW per mile it might be only 200 miles. So YMMV
So if I understand correctly, the speed of charge is not uniform to all Lucids, but actually depends on the tire size and how aggressively one drives?? I thought these two factors count for how quickly the battery drains, not charging them up

I think we have to separate the "percent of charge" measurement from the "miles to go" measurement. These are of course related, but the relationship depends on many factors.
Same for an ICE vehicle...How far can you go on 3/4 tank of gas? Well, depends on how fast you go, terrain, traffic, etc.

I think we have to separate the "percent of charge" measurement from the "miles to go" measurement. These are of course related, but the relationship depends on many factors.
Same for an ICE vehicle...How far can you go on 3/4 tank of gas? Well, depends on how fast you go, terrain, traffic, etc.

Not to mention the size of the fuel tank/battery pack.

So if I understand correctly, the speed of charge is not uniform to all Lucids, but actually depends on the tire size and how aggressively one drives?? I thought these two factors count for how quickly the battery drains, not charging them up
No. The question was how many miles in 30’, from 10-80%. I can tell you kWh added. That won’t change in aLucid with the 800v architecture. However, I cannot tell how many miles that equates to. Miles per kWh depends on the car trim, tires and driving habits.

Back