Lucid’s Complete Stoppage of All Customer Delivery’s….What Do You Think?

I’ve had a Rivian on order for a long time and I can promise that Rivian’s communication is much worse than Lucid (and Lucid is pretty bad). It was actually borderline fraudulent prior to the IPO and has been non-existent since.
Respectfully disagree. Since the pricing issue Rivian has fixed communication. I have had R1S on order since late 2020. Never have I been told it would be quick. When I ordered my AGT earlier this year I was told it would be delivered in 2022. Now that is looking like it is near zero chance of happening but haven't heard anything from the company other than my confirmation of spec. No updates on home charger. No updates on winter wheel/tire setup (live in MN). No production updates. Zilch. I get monthly (or every other month) Rivian updates.

Just my experience.

Respectfully disagree. Since the pricing issue Rivian has fixed communication. I have had R1S on order since late 2020. Never have I been told it would be quick. When I ordered my AGT earlier this year I was told it would be delivered in 2022. Now that is looking like it is near zero chance of happening but haven't heard anything from the company other than my confirmation of spec. No updates on home charger. No updates on winter wheel/tire setup (live in MN). No production updates. Zilch. I get monthly (or every other month) Rivian updates.

Just my experience.
Seems like you get different treatment. I e heard absolutely nothing from Rivian ever since my reservation. Nada. Other than mass emails that go out to everyone

It's actually been interesting to be on this forum to see the complaints, conjecture, compliments, and some real-world comments about the cars themselves as well as the entire ordering/fulfillment process. It takes me back to ordering my Tesla MYLR early last year and everything was done on-line or via email to pretty-much an alias with a hope someone would respond and waiting for a random text giving you a short window to accept the car. These have been a sea-change from the old dealership and face-to-face car shopping experiences for me, and I think that dealing with direct-manufacture/start-up companies is not sitting well with many folks. Admittedly, I have been reading about Lucid for a while, but it was only a few months ago I decided to order, so I'm not as antsy as most of you. I also think my expectations may be a bit lower. I ordered the Tesla because I thought I wanted the awesome tech in a car, but I sold that for a Lucid so I could get an awesome car with some tech, which can be updated/improved/customized as the company matures. I do hope the end result will be what you all have hoped for... and soon!

Just my experience.
Wait, you get monthly updates on your Rivian order or newsletter updates like everyone else? If you are getting actual monthly/bimonthly order status updates on your RIS, I would love to see an example.

When I placed my order it showed February of 2021 for a delivery estimate. Shortly after, they removed the estimate from the website. After the IPO, they started telling the truth about R1S delivery estimates. When they came clean the stock went from 172 to 20. They have handled the R1T better, but Rivian is hardly a model of how to roll out a new car and communicate with clients.

Don’t get me wrong, I need the R1S and will be stoked when it’s here. The GT is more like a saucy mistress.

So, is there an extant example of a car manufacturer that communicates well, by the standards of this forum?
I have read elsewhere in the forum that Rivian is doing a much better job on this subject matter.

I have read elsewhere in the forum that Rivian is doing a much better job on this subject matter.
I have had a reservation from mid 2021 and still haven't heard a peep. This is for the R1T.

It's actually been interesting to be on this forum to see the complaints, conjecture, compliments, and some real-world comments about the cars themselves as well as the entire ordering/fulfillment process. It takes me back to ordering my Tesla MYLR early last year and everything was done on-line or via email to pretty-much an alias with a hope someone would respond and waiting for a random text giving you a short window to accept the car. These have been a sea-change from the old dealership and face-to-face car shopping experiences for me, and I think that dealing with direct-manufacture/start-up companies is not sitting well with many folks. Admittedly, I have been reading about Lucid for a while, but it was only a few months ago I decided to order, so I'm not as antsy as most of you. I also think my expectations may be a bit lower. I ordered the Tesla because I thought I wanted the awesome tech in a car, but I sold that for a Lucid so I could get an awesome car with some tech, which can be updated/improved/customized as the company matures. I do hope the end result will be what you all have hoped for... and soon!
Yeah part of the slant on here is addressing growing pains and sorting out issues as a community so the car can be made better. But with a few exceptions, those who now have the car are overall very happy with it and always looking for excuses to drive it. That’s how it is with me. I do have a few complaints and will need another service visit at some point to fix a couple minor issues, and yeah the software needs to get better (which they’re already doing), but day to day this car is amazing and I don’t regret the purchase and every time I leave my depressing job and get into the car my mood is immediately improved.

I've got to think growing a business like Lucid while a pandemic ravages the world's supply chains ain't so hard. Case in point, I got my car.

But seriously, I would've waited at least another year if I had to. Yet somehow, for once in my life all the stars and planets aligned, and I managed to blow out all the candles on my birthday cake in one breath, and it was a lot of them, and of course this act guarantees that your birthday wish will be granted. And so it was, albeit four and a half months later.

It was pure dumb luck. I must have ordered one of the easier cars for them to produce, i.e. Zenith Red AGT, Tahoe interior, 19" wheels.

Blaming Lucid for parts shortages places the blame way off target. Tesla is having delivery problems too, and for the same reasons. Their suppliers are behind in their shipments. It's becoming a perfect storm: the COVID pandemic, the resulting economic downturn, the political alignments shifting due to war. The raw materials in play.

If you want to give up your spot on the waiting list, their are more than enough other people on that list for it to really matter. Quite frankly, moving your reservation to Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Tesla, BMW, Jaguar, etc. will just put you at the tail end of another waiting list. They're all having similar supply issues.

Or you could be patient and find yourself with one heck of a sweet ride. Your choice.

I've got to think growing a business like Lucid while a pandemic ravages the world's supply chains ain't so hard. Case in point, I got my car.

But seriously, I would've waited at least another year if I had to. Yet somehow, for once in my life all the stars and planets aligned, and I managed to blow out all the candles on my birthday cake in one breath, and it was a lot of them, and of course this act guarantees that your birthday wish will be granted. And so it was, albeit four and a half months later.

It was pure dumb luck. I must have ordered one of the easier cars for them to produce, i.e. Zenith Red AGT, Tahoe interior, 19" wheels.

Blaming Lucid for parts shortages places the blame way off target. Tesla is having delivery problems too, and for the same reasons. Their suppliers are behind in their shipments. It's becoming a perfect storm: the COVID pandemic, the resulting economic downturn, the political alignments shifting due to war. The raw materials in play.

If you want to give up your spot on the waiting list, their are more than enough other people on that list for it to really matter. Quite frankly, moving your reservation to Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Tesla, BMW, Jaguar, etc. will just put you at the tail end of another waiting list. They're all having similar supply issues.

Or you could be patient and find yourself with one heck of a sweet ride. Your choice.
Great Post! I feel generally just the same way. But one thing your post suggests is that all of this is very subjective: I reserved in 1Q22 and really don't want my car until 1) the pretty glaring QC issues are fixed, and 2) the midwest winter 22/23 is over. Other folks here reserved 2 years ago, have been stonewalled for info, might have urgencies we dont know about, etc, etc...and are rightfully PO'ed.

A big problem for Lucid is they have little to no clout in the supply chain. Just my guess, but when it comes to critical components like chips, their lack of scale is killing them right now.

It's been my experience in situations like this that you fight like hell in the areas you don't control, but you must Crush the areas you do control. I assume they're doing the former...my sense is they're not doing as well as they could in the latter.

If we lived in the world you want then nothing would get done. Criticizing a company and its management should be encouraged because without it, companies will just continue to do whatever they want and just expect customers to suck it up!

It’s just a house also but would you let the builder off the hook if he’s 6,12,18 months beyond schedule or starts building and then stops a week later with no reason why.

$150K may be a drop in the ocean for you but it’s a significant price to pay for a car. The more you pay the higher level of expectation you expect from the company.
We will agree to disagree

This is one of my biggest concerns.
Receiving the car and then the company no longer exists . That would be a precarious situation for many of us , considering the cost of the vehicle.
Because Lucid’s technology is so good and the air is a great car I believe someone would acquire the company if it were to fail. I doubt we would have orphan cars.

Because Lucid’s technology is so good and the air is a great car I believe someone would acquire the company if it were to fail. I doubt we would have orphan cars.
I think the Air may be a great car, as its software develops, but doubt that a "legacy" car company would acquire them whole for their technology in a distress sale. Generally just the rights to IP would be bought, often at a fire-sale price. The liability of existing vehicle operations and service may be sold to a shell organization, or alternatively spun off as a new company, and allowed to go bankrupt. I've seen this movie personally.

Your plan regarding sale of assets is possible but I believe there are so few Airs right now that the liability probably won’t be that great relative to the marketing assets and going concern value of the company. They have a factory and are producing highly valued cars so I don’t think somebody will pay as much for the tech alone.

I wouldn’t put it past Elon to buy it and kill it as a big F You to Peter. Clearly there is no love lost between those two and with Musk’s ego I bet he would love to have the last say.

Anyway, the PIF is propping Lucid up for the near future so don’t think bankruptcy would be coming anytime soon.

I think the Air may be a great car, as its software develops, but doubt that a "legacy" car company would acquire them whole for their technology in a distress sale. Generally just the rights to IP would be bought, often at a fire-sale price. The liability of existing vehicle operations and service may be sold to a shell organization, or alternatively spun off as a new company, and allowed to go bankrupt. I've seen this movie personally.
What is "their technology"? Designs and processes that are patented? And won't turn out to be obsolete in 3 years? I have no idea---does anyone here?

Talk of "asset sales" presupposes the Saudis walk away. Anyone who sees that as a serious risk shouldn't own the car or the stock....Pure guess, but I'd bet on a recap, management change, operational reorg, etc before the studies throw in the towel

What is "their technology"? Designs and processes that are patented? And won't turn out to be obsolete in 3 years? I have no idea---does anyone here?
I haven't looked at Lucid's IP filings, but I'd think patents around motor technology and packaging, battery packaging, possibly portions of the Wunderbox. Patents are a tricky thing to value - they're more a bargaining chip to barter with or to sue other companies than any kind of absolute protection, and are only proven through litigation.

My SA called me a few weeks ago in late-July to say my AGT with 21s was "literally on the production line" but there were some "supplier and production issues" and the car delivery would be delayed by 2 to 3 months. (That is unrelated to the prior delay; I was told in March '22 that my December '21 ordered car would be ready in late-May '22, which then in mid-May was delayed to late-July '22; then I got the late-July call about the 2-3 month latest delay .) I didn't ask the SA for further details though his call may have been the nail in the coffin for me wanting a Lucid for the foreseeable future. Besides my own experience, the few people I know who have taken Lucid deliveries have had meaningful hardware and software issues issues that would make me absolutely regret such a purchase. I also had 3 SA's since December; don't know exactly why. I really would love Lucid to succeed -- competition is a good thing in the marketplace. I'm disappointed more than anything else. And may this situation be the worst thing that happens to me or anyone else this year!

Back