If you are on the fence between deciding between Tesla and Lucid, let me save you a whole world of headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooden Ears

Cars
2016,2017,2022 model x
Personally, I love the interior styling of the lucid cars, even the least expensive one is really good looking. I wish lucid had unlimited lifetime, super charging, and a larger screen, and an effective camp mode.

Because I just keep tearing my hair out with Tesla service they delivered a damaged 2016 model X to me, then they put it back and if you can believe it delivered yet another damage.d 2017 model X, that one had at least 20 trips to the service center, about 7 to 11 service centers, all at all, where they damage to the car, dented the car twice, scratched all my interior panels.

In the end they couldn’t repair of the problems and so I had to lemon law the car that was horrible because I lost my lifetime free super charging. Then they ripped me off on the next car $40,000. Completely lied to me. Several times went back on the word felt the grandfather mean on the car and delivered the car in the wrong color so that it took over 2 1/2 years to replace the car.

The amount of my life wasted with Tesla is just outrageous. I have stacks of service receipts that are more than 2 inches thick. That’s just for half of the service receipts. They don’t even wanna print out all of them.

Even though Elucid is missing the features for me, that would make it a car I could live with, if those features are important for you, and you are in the fence trying to decide between a Lucid and a Tesla…

Let me save you a whole world of hurt. Buy the lucid. Well, I really like Elon musk, totally respect his mission, and I think the guy is incredibly brilliant and builds very compelling cars to drive that service center system is just a world of human abuse.

Tesla would like to think of itself as the car company of the future changing all sorts of production methods, and so on, but the car company in the future has no phones in their service center. You can’t call the service center. You can only text them, and then get abused by millennials, because there really are very few older people at Tesla . The young guys at the service centers do try to cater to the customers, but as soon as they’ve been there for a couple years, they just laugh at their ability to inconvenienced the customers.

This seems to be endemic at many different service centers, Costa Mesa (dented my car twice and destroyed the clearcoat) , Arctic Ocean, Torrance, Barranca, Irvine, Centinela, Burbank ( used dirty rags and scratched all my obece panel and never fully replaced them) , Littleton Colorado, Las Vegas Nevada,

The waiting rooms started turning into places where Tesla customers started sharing their horror stories, so they tried to make those comfortable waiting rooms as uncomfortable as possible and to try to shoot you into an Uber to get you off the premises.
They used to have comfortable seating, fruit, free drinks in the lounges, stylish couches, televisions, etc. now they’re just a stripped down place with cheap seats.

Even the new model X the steering wheel is now a cheap one like on the model three, you don’t even get a luxury steering wheel,

They took away while weapon defense mode,

They used to give you a luxury fully loaded car their top any car for a loaner car when you had your car serviced, now they give you $30 Uber credits and send you on your way, and if I could show you some of the photos of the conditions of some of the loaner cars that I’ve gotten, you would be totally shocked. I’ve got cars that have had some kind of acid spilled all over the inside of them and the carpet has been eaten away . Filthy cars full of dog hair spilled coffee, etc.

I don’t think Lucid is that that kind of car company.

I’m kind of waiting for the Lucid SUV and hoping that that will have what I need in a car because I can’t wait to run away from Tesla.

I would do Rivian, but their efficiency is so terrible at 2 mi./kW. It’s just not even a savings over gas.

I enjoyed reading your points. I’ve had 3 Teslas, and now my Lucid Touring. I MUCH prefer the Lucid. I will repeat what I have said before, “If you want to go very fast in a straight line, no other car can beat the Model S Plaid in bang for the buck.”
On the other hand, if you want a luxury, performance sedan, the Lucid is the one. (And, it can go very fast too).
The Lucid feels more like European performance sedans, while the Model S is so spartan that it has become an economy car rocket.

I enjoyed reading your points. I’ve had 3 Teslas, and now my Lucid Touring. I MUCH prefer the Lucid. I will repeat what I have said before, “If you want to go very fast in a straight line, no other car can beat the Model S Plaid in bang for the buck.”
On the other hand, if you want a luxury, performance sedan, the Lucid is the one. (And, it can go very fast too).
The Lucid feels more like European performance sedans, while the Model S is so spartan that it has become an economy car rocket.
Hopped up Altima on drag slicks vs a nice M5!

I also agree specifically with your waiting room point. I was test driving the Model S and it was so barebones that I think my local kia waiting room is better. There are also outdated posters about the cars everywhere...

...Because I just keep tearing my hair out with Tesla service they delivered a damaged 2016 model X to me, then they put it back and if you can believe it delivered yet another damage.d 2017 model X, that one had at least 20 trips to the service center, about 7 to 11 service centers, all at all, where they damage to the car, dented the car twice, scratched all my interior panels.

In the end they couldn’t repair of the problems and so I had to lemon law the car that was horrible because I lost my lifetime free super charging. Then they ripped me off on the next car $40,000. Completely lied to me. Several times went back on the word felt the grandfather mean on the car and delivered the car in the wrong color so that it took over 2 1/2 years to replace the car.

The amount of my life wasted with Tesla is just outrageous. I have stacks of service receipts that are more than 2 inches thick. That’s just for half of the service receipts. They don’t even wanna print out all of them...
I don't doubt your lousy experience with Tesla.

However, statistically speaking, if Tesla is that bad in general, how can it be the top BEV seller (BYD is the top plug-in EV, including plug-in hybrids.)

However, statistically speaking, if Tesla is that bad in general, how can it be the top BEV seller (BYD is the top plug-in EV, including plug-in hybrids.)

I’ve seen several China auto shows TicTok coverage. Tesla showcase area is empty despite introduced new Model 3 Highland recently. The other Chinese auto brands on the other hand are packed. I believe there are 2 catalysts. 1 - Tesla exterior is getting stale, they hardly change over the years, but other Chinese cars kept drastically evolving their look. 2 - Political propaganda of trade war to encourage Chinese citizens not buying American products but support their own economy. Huawei over iPhone, BYD over Tesla. In the coming quarters, Tesla will see drastic erosion as Musk put it, China is the most competitive market for Tesla currently.

Price, and the charging network are arguably its best traits. I have an ughh 2023 Modrl X bring delivered in about 30-60 days unless it’s frocking Elon time again . The smell of the new refresh actually makes
Me and my GF sick on all day drives.

But ordered without options it qualifies for the 7500 federal tax credit .

On my first model ask I got 7500 off my federal, 6000 off my state when they bought that back I got another 7500 off my federal and 5000 off my state +2 double ended. Referrals of $2000 each and I’ll get another $7500 off of this one.

The second car had damage which couldn’t be repaired, even after going to multiple service centers, the window, would slam uncontrollably to the point of nearly breaking the glass at speeds over 40 mph -you would have to pull over to roll up the window. That car had to be lemoned. And the next car - in really cold temperatures, the door seals would firm up, triggering the pinch guards so when you try to enter the car or leave the car that windows would stay rolled down, which isn’t really nice having a permanent convertible in the winter. Last winter after skiing I would have to crawl in through the trunk and exit through the trunk all winter. Lemoned that one too . Frustrating as these on going servuce issue and exit through the trunk all winter means I haven’t been able to install or listen to my $15,000 car audio system since 2016.

Anyhow That’s $37,500 off In tax credits and referrals . And the car went from $117,000 to $72 ,900 making model x cost about $44k less money wasted on taxes and registration.

However even though the new cars drive better and accelerate better, and are quieter, the offgassing of the interior is pretty much insufferable so I’m looking for an older car is still has unlimited free, super charging because I would’ve never have gotten into the EV thing without unlimited free lifetime supercharger it’s just not worth the inconvenience.

I do envy you lucid owners . With 500 miles of range that’s a real 500 miles of range actually turns out you guys get more than 500 miles of range with real world tests as opposed to Tesla’s fake mileage estimates I could practically make the entire drive from Newport Beach to Aspen Colorado in one shot in a much more comfortable vehicle. It would drive much more like a gas vehicle with that kind of range.

I’m really hoping they hit it out of the park with the gravity.

I do envy you lucid owners . With 500 miles of range that’s a real 500 miles of range actually turns out you guys get more than 500 miles of range

But in this case you also lose some rear leg room because of the added batteries on top of the rear passengers floor.

Comparing the Air Touring ($95,000 - 384 miles EPA) and the Air Grand Touring GT ($125,600 - 469 miles EPA)
you get an additional 85 miles for $30,600 (or about 25 kWh additional battery at a cost of $1,200 / kWh).

I agree with the OP. Service at Tesla was good until they came out with the Model 3 (I had an S). After COVID even worse. I do fear that if/when Lucid goes down market the same will happen with them. Let's hope not.

Comparing the Air Touring ($95,000 - 384 miles EPA) and the Air Grand Touring GT ($125,600 - 469 miles EPA)
you get an additional 85 miles for $30,600 (or about 25 kWh additional battery at a cost of $1,200 / kWh).

and no cost upgrade for 21”, massage chairs, glass roof and extra power to 819 HP on top of +25 kWh.

If you do the 18 mos lease, there is such little price difference. Think $100 bucks a month. In that case a Grand Touring is a no brainer - right?

and no cost upgrade for 21”, massage chairs, glass roof and extra power to 819 HP on top of +25 kWh.
Actually the 21s are now optional on the GT as well. Here's a current summary of differences:

Standard Grand Touring items that are optional on Touring:
  • Glass Canopy ($4,000)
  • Some colors: Cosmos Silver, Quantum Grey, Zenith Red ($800)
Features of the Grand Touring that are not available at all on the Touring are:
  • 516 miles of range (vs. 406 miles)
  • 819 hp (vs. 620)
  • 300 kW charging
  • Nappa Leather w/ Alcantara trim (vs. natural leather w/o Alcantara trim)
  • Three years EA included versus of two

Personally, I love the interior styling of the lucid cars, even the least expensive one is really good looking. I wish lucid had unlimited lifetime, super charging, and a larger screen, and an effective camp mode.

Because I just keep tearing my hair out with Tesla service they delivered a damaged 2016 model X to me, then they put it back and if you can believe it delivered yet another damage.d 2017 model X, that one had at least 20 trips to the service center, about 7 to 11 service centers, all at all, where they damage to the car, dented the car twice, scratched all my interior panels.

The amount of my life wasted with Tesla is just outrageous. I have stacks of service receipts that are more than 2 inches thick. That’s just for half of the service receipts. They don’t even wanna print out all of them.

Even though Elucid is missing the features for me, that would make it a car I could live with, if those features are important for you, and you are in the fence trying to decide between a Lucid and a Tesla…

Let me save you a whole world of hurt. Buy the lucid. Well, I really like Elon musk, totally respect his mission, and I think the guy is incredibly brilliant and builds very compelling cars to drive that service center system is just a world of human abuse.

Tesla would like to think of itself as the car company of the future changing all sorts of production methods, and so on, but the car company in the future has no phones in their service center. You can’t call the service center. You can only text them, and then get abused by millennials, because there really are very few older people at Tesla . The young guys at the service centers do try to cater to the customers, but as soon as they’ve been there for a couple years, they just laugh at their ability to inconvenienced the customers.

This seems to be endemic at many different service centers, Costa Mesa (dented my car twice and destroyed the clearcoat) , Arctic Ocean, Torrance, Barranca, Irvine, Centinela, Burbank ( used dirty rags and scratched all my obece panel and never fully replaced them) , Littleton Colorado, Las Vegas Nevada,

The waiting rooms started turning into places where Tesla customers started sharing their horror stories, so they tried to make those comfortable waiting rooms as uncomfortable as possible and to try to shoot you into an Uber to get you off the premises.
They used to have comfortable seating, fruit, free drinks in the lounges, stylish couches, televisions, etc. now they’re just a stripped down place with cheap seats.

Even the new model X the steering wheel is now a cheap one like on the model three, you don’t even get a luxury steering wheel,

They took away while weapon defense mode,

They used to give you a luxury fully loaded car their top any car for a loaner car when you had your car serviced, now they give you $30 Uber credits and send you on your way, and if I could show you some of the photos of the conditions of some of the loaner cars that I’ve gotten, you would be totally shocked. I’ve got cars that have had some kind of acid spilled all over the inside of them and the carpet has been eaten away . Filthy cars full of dog hair spilled coffee, etc.

I don’t think Lucid is that that kind of car company.

I’m kind of waiting for the Lucid SUV and hoping that that will have what I need in a car because I can’t wait to run away from Tesla.

I would do Rivian, but their efficiency is so terrible at 2 mi./kW. It’s just not even a savings over gas.
You should post this on twitter/X - Tesla service sucks big time.

Well, I really like Elon musk, totally respect his mission, and I think the guy is incredibly brilliant and builds very compelling cars to drive that service center system is just a world of human abuse.
This is not something I expected to be said now-a-says…

You are comparing a luxury car (Lucid) with a car built for the proletariat (Elon's worshipers).
Lucid has carved-out a niche where Tesla has no product or deftness.

If people are comparing the Model S with a Pure then it's not a matter of money.

Do you want a nice car? is the only question.

You are comparing a luxury car (Lucid) with a car built for the proletariat (Elon's worshipers).
Lucid has carved-out a niche where Tesla has no product or deftness.

If people are comparing the Model S with a Pure then it's not a matter of money.

Do you want a nice car? is the only question.
So, the refresh Model S is not a nice car or similar to Lucid Air Touring? I definitely disagree. I rented a Lucid Grand Touring yesterday and have until Monday to return it, so will hold back my observations, but so far I miss my Model S. Will see if it changes over the weekend. I have driven about 180 miles so far in the Grand Touring. I was expecting to love the Grand Touring and potentially place an order to lease one on Monday. I still could, as one day is not a test. 🙂

I tested charging at EA on the Ohio Turnpike, which have new EA chargers. The bad charging stories are certainly true. I tried two 350w chargers and both were out of order. Then tried a working one and the Lucid was only charging 7 miles a minute. That is crazy that newer EA chargers are out of order and charge so slowly. Plus, the plug used to charge is so big compared to the Tesla standard. Tesla I pull up, take the little plug out and plug in instantly and charges fast every time. Never unavailable. CCS really needs to get their act together quickly or EV’s cars will never sell beyond the EV crowd, unless you charge at home 100% of time, then non issue. But, for someone like me that travels all the time, I need reliability, availability and quick charging.

Also - I have never had a bad experience at our local Tesla service centers and owning my Model S LR, which is my first EV has been an outstanding experience.

So, the refresh Model S is not a nice car or similar to Lucid Air Touring? I definitely disagree. I rented a Lucid Grand Touring yesterday and have until Monday to return it, so will hold back my observations, but so far I miss my Model S. Will see if it changes over the weekend. I have driven about 180 miles so far in the Grand Touring. I was expecting to love the Grand Touring and potentially place an order to lease one on Monday. I still could, as one day is not a test. 🙂

I tested charging at EA on the Ohio Turnpike, which have new EA chargers. The bad charging stories are certainly true. I tried two 350w chargers and both were out of order. Then tried a working one and the Lucid was only charging 7 miles a minute. That is crazy that newer EA chargers are out of order and charge so slowly. Plus, the plug used to charge is so big compared to the Tesla standard. Tesla I pull up, take the little plug out and plug in instantly and charges fast every time. Never unavailable. CCS really needs to get their act together quickly or EV’s cars will never sell beyond the EV crowd, unless you charge at home 100% of time, then non issue. But, for someone like me that travels all the time, I need reliability, availability and quick charging.

Also - I have never had a bad experience at our local Tesla service centers and owning my Model S LR, which is my first EV has been an outstanding experience.
If long distance charging is most important get a Tesla Model S. If you want a luxury car with the best EV technology, ride.handling, efficiency. performance- get a Lucid.

Lucid cars are phenomenal, but charging infrastructure still needs more work.

You don’t sound like you were ever objectively considering a Lucid. You are sold on Tesla, and that’s fine. I had a Model S for almost 3 years and find the Lucid better in every way. Yes, Tesla’s charging network is superior to CCS, but EA is not the only game in town when on trips.

You don’t sound like you were ever objectively considering a Lucid. You are sold on Tesla, and that’s fine. I had a Model S for almost 3 years and find the Lucid better in every way. Yes, Tesla’s charging network is superior to CCS, but EA is not the only game in town when on trips.
Hmm - how can you say that? I am giving my first hand experience. Typical responose from some people on this forum. And totally wrong response, as I am and may still get one. An no so far Lucid is not better in every way. They are very similar. Tesla software is also way superior to Lucid and for anyone to dispute that are showing their true colors.

You seriously think I would spend all the money to rent a Lucid Grand Touring just to put it down and not be serious about it. Geez.

I was showing my Dad the frunk at our Country Club and then the Frunk was giving a closing error code. Also - was flashing red that driving the Lucid would be slow. Luckily searched this forum after 10 mins of trying to close it and got it to work correctly, but is that really the first impression that Lucid wants to give potential owners. That should work flawlessly.

Also - HA is definitely broken compared to my BMW’s or Tesla. On the Turnpike it would just turn off for no reason. Never have that happen with BMW or Tesla. They need to fix that asap.

Lucken- I remember you waffeling on your purchase too and always comparing to your BMW EV. So, funny for you to say that to me. You should be helping get one, not saying rude comments like that. I would never do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back