Lucid’s Complete Stoppage of All Customer Delivery’s….What Do You Think?

Interesting to hear. The couple friends I have who also have Rivian reservations have had different experiences. There are no absolutes.
I just put in reservation for R1S yesterday. My realistic expectation is 2024~2025. I don’t want to be other cool kids paying used car more than price of new car or dealer sell me something way higher than MSRP.

I just put in reservation for R1S yesterday. My realistic expectation is 2024~2025. I don’t want to be other cool kids paying used car more than price of new car or dealer sell me something way higher than MSRP.
That’s great!! I had a reservation for an r1t and I cancelled it some time ago. I regret that now.

Sorry to hear that for you!! The couple friends I have who also have Rivian reservations have had different experiences. There are no absolutes.

I would assume that they are purchasing R1Ts? They are ramping and delivering them very nicely at this point. The R1S roll out has been a fiasco. It appears to be such an amazing vehicle with no reel peer, which is why I’m hanging in there.

Good idea, it’s really the perfect SUV. One day when you least expect it, you will get the call. Until then, enjoy the Lucid.

I’ve had a Rivian on order for a long time and I can promise that Rivian’s communication is much worse than Lucid (and Lucid is pretty bad). It was actually borderline fraudulent prior to the IPO and has been non-existent since.
Same. I've had zero communication from Rivian

Don’t own the car yet, so not an option.
To be honest , I did not think it was a risky investment, especially the car. Recent developments have begun to cause me concern. I am not trying to encourage negative sentiment , but I think it is reasonable to wonder why on earth their communication , before one takes possession of the car , is so downright horrible. There should be a fairly easy way for DAs to track individuals’ cars and at least be able to give some information. I am no automotive industry expert , but they should have been more prepared , especially considering all the ex Tesla hires they recruited. It’s obviously an impressive vehicle and times are remarkably difficult at the moment, but even with all that said , they are not doing themselves any favors.
I have friends who have or will be getting Rivians. From my conversations with them, communication had been much much more transparent.
This reminds me a bit of a summer job I had when I was a teacher back in my early 20s. I was working in a warehouse, sort of as a liaison between the main office and the warehouse staff. The warehouse would take various food items, pack them into meals in boxes, and then ship the boxes out via several trucks every morning. One day I get a call from the main office: "Ask the foreman how many oranges we have." So I go to the foreman and tell him the office wants to know how many oranges they have. "He looks at me for a few seconds, then says "I don't know. Tell her by the end of the day we'll have zero oranges."

On the one hand, it seemed like an simple enough question. But from his perspective, she was asking him to halt production so he could spend a few hours counting oranges. All for a number that was going to be zero later that day, anyway.

My point is, car companies generally don't have to keep daily track of the production of any one car. In a normal situation, cars with various features and colors get pumped out of the factory every day, and then people buy them. Lucid is in this weird (but temporary) situation where they can't produce cars that get ordered for six months or more after they are ordered. So customers are asking for these details that eventually, when they catch up to reservations, Lucid will no longer need to provide. In a year or two, you'll order your Lucid, and it will be delivered a week or maybe a month later.

So you can sort of see why setting up the logistics to track individual cars doesn't seem like it would have been a priority. Especially if things had gone smoothly this year, and they were basically pumping out Tourings by now. Only now, in retrospect, is Lucid in a situation where providing those sorts of details might come in handy. And even that is arguable. If you looked at an app or logged into the web site every day and saw how little progress was being made on a daily basis on your car, would that help? I'm not sure.

This reminds me a bit of a summer job I had when I was a teacher back in my early 20s. I was working in a warehouse, sort of as a liaison between the main office and the warehouse staff. The warehouse would take various food items, pack them into meals in boxes, and then ship the boxes out via several trucks every morning. One day I get a call from the main office: "Ask the foreman how many oranges we have." So I go to the foreman and tell him the office wants to know how many oranges they have. "He looks at me for a few seconds, then says "I don't know. Tell her by the end of the day we'll have zero oranges."

On the one hand, it seemed like an simple enough question. But from his perspective, she was asking him to halt production so he could spend a few hours counting oranges. All for a number that was going to be zero later that day, anyway.

My point is, car companies generally don't have to keep daily track of the production of any one car. In a normal situation, cars with various features and colors get pumped out of the factory every day, and then people buy them. Lucid is in this weird (but temporary) situation where they can't produce cars that get ordered for six months or more after they are ordered. So customers are asking for these details that eventually, when they catch up to reservations, Lucid will no longer need to provide. In a year or two, you'll order your Lucid, and it will be delivered a week or maybe a month later.

So you can sort of see why setting up the logistics to track individual cars doesn't seem like it would have been a priority. Especially if things had gone smoothly this year, and they were basically pumping out Tourings by now. Only now, in retrospect, is Lucid in a situation where providing those sorts of details might come in handy. And even that is arguable. If you looked at an app or logged into the web site every day and saw how little progress was being made on a daily basis on your car, would that help? I'm not sure.
I mean that makes sense but almost all luxury brands I’ve ordered a car from can tell me what stage of production my car is or where it is. Hell, they can evens tell me what boat it’s being shipped on which lets you track the boat

I mean that makes sense but almost all luxury brands I’ve ordered a car from can tell me what stage of production my car is or where it is. Hell, they can evens tell me what boat it’s being shipped on which lets you track the boat
I'm guessing every one of those luxury brands has been doing this long enough to have the time to establish such processes? As far as I know, Tesla doesn't provide anything like this, and they've been around for more than 10 years.

I'm just saying, if the goal is to get cars out to customers, anything that slows down production is not a priority. That's a "nice to have" that you build when you have the luxury of adding extra steps to the production team's checklist.

Could this be due to the issue with the Pirelli 21s mentioned in the other thread? That makes the most sense to me. Maybe only 21” deliveries are on hold? It’s all speculation.

I disagree. In the robotic automated and computerized production process of car manufacturing all vehicles in production are tied to the prospective owner and identified by the VIN, when it reaches that stage. These are all preordered vehicles not cars built on spec. They know exactly where every vehicle is probably within a few meters. When I called Lucid, they looked up my data on a spread sheet and they told me there were a few batches ahead of my build, that it had not been sequenced yet, so I could change the wheel size without delaying production. They track everything to ensure they have the inventory of the thousands of parts needed for each car. When I ordered a BMW I could track it from the start of production to the docks to the car carrying ship to the Port in NJ. There is a website dedicated to tracking BMWs. The issue is not that Lucid doesn't track the build, of course they do, but should they disclose this data to the customer. For an established company with a mature production process this is done, but for a new manufacturer with no prior experience, there must be a perceived risk in revealing this info.

If Lucid tells anyone in the U.S. that their Air is on a boat that delivery is way messed up….😊

I disagree. In the robotic automated and computerized production process of car manufacturing all vehicles in production are tied to the prospective owner and identified by the VIN, when it reaches that stage. These are all preordered vehicles not cars built on spec. They know exactly where every vehicle is probably within a few meters. When I called Lucid, they looked up my data on a spread sheet and they told me there were a few batches ahead of my build, that it had not been sequenced yet, so I could change the wheel size without delaying production. They track everything to ensure they have the inventory of the thousands of parts needed for each car. When I ordered a BMW I could track it from the start of production to the docks to the car carrying ship to the Port in NJ. There is a website dedicated to tracking BMWs. The issue is not that Lucid doesn't track the build, of course they do, but should they disclose this data to the customer. For an established company with a mature production process this is done, but for a new manufacturer with no prior experience, there must be a perceived risk in revealing this info.
There's a big difference between an employee being able to look up some info internally and exposing said info on a public web site. Someone has to build the web site, for starters. And those spreadsheets can no longer be simple spreadsheets. Knowing your car is in a specific batch is nowhere near the same as knowing where it's physically located on the factory right now.

How much info is enough to satisfy anxious customers?

I think this is a matter of priorities more than perceived risk. It's just not as important as getting cars out the door as fast as possible.

But if there is any perceived risk, it's that customers will see just how much time passes between ordering and any movement at all. Tracking the "journey" of the car is interesting and fun when the car is actually progressing, and the whole process takes a month or so. When it's four months of no movement whatsoever, or you can see the car is finished but baking in the sun for three weeks because there are no truck drivers to bring it to a service center, it starts to be a source of annoyance more than a source of entertainment.

Data security is a major issue here.

You don't want #1, nefarious actors to be able to get access that to information about cars and production, and

#2 competitors to know more than they should know.

There's are good reasons to limit transparency, or at least o make sure you get customer transparency exactly the way it should be. That takes more resources than you think.

It shouldn’t be. Shows how the market is more driven by news than fundamentals. Lol. Reminds me of pump and dump schemes.
Yup, market has definitely shifted to more towards news than fundamentals. It's a race who finds and reacts to the news first. Probably bot traders too

That is a great analogy and you make a good point. I do think there should be at least a smidge of more reliable information.
I am sure they are working on process improvements and that things will perk up quite soon.

I would assume that they are purchasing R1Ts? They are ramping and delivering them very nicely at this point. The R1S roll out has been a fiasco. It appears to be such an amazing vehicle with no reel peer, which is why I’m hanging in there.
That is correct. One of my colleagues will be getting her’s quite shortly.

Drendino said it already but it bears repeating. The “Lucid Insider” is one of us just repeating what another one of us wrote. And that other writer was speculating based off of a conversation he or she had with a DA. While I doubt no one’s intentions, that game of telephone should not drive what we do or think going forward.

Unless or until we hear from an actual Lucid insider, then we have no idea what is going on. And there is not enough of us on this board to infer that our collective experience is anything more than anecdotal info.

This board has been great for me in that it makes me think about the things I will do and say when dealing with Lucid. It also serves as a sounding platform and pressure release valve as we wait for deliveries or car improvements. I have also tried to use the board to project the timing of my delivery, but only time will prove me right or wrong with that. But this amplification of what we infer and have possibly heard into “news” is unfortunate and unhelpful.

Back