Longer charging cable ?!

LucidKaz

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
So I’m not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere … but my charging plug is on a wall located to the right rear of the vehicle. I cannot reach the charging port unless I go underneath the car.

I couldn’t find any longer cables on Lucid’s store for sale and based on the manual it says not to use extension cords.

Any ideas on how to address this without having to have yet another wall outlet installed ?

Isn't it amazing how a simple thing like the placement of the charging port can cause such problems. It should be standardized. Fortunately for me, the port on my BMW 530e is in the same location as the port on the Lucid so my charger is perfectly located (of course, BMW in its infinite wisdom and design judgment, moved the port on its BEVs to the opposite corner).

My backup reservation, in case my Touring isn’t delivered by the end of the year, is for a Taycan. One of the things I like about the Taycan is that it has charging ports on both sides of the car.

Time to call an electrician and have the EVSE moved?

1663870223198.png
so prescient they were

My electrician is due next week. Been humping over where Betty goes in the 3 bay garage...it's not that easy because I was thinking I wanted to be able to charge when the vehicle(s) are outside (don't ask). Decided on a central, front wall location so at least I can do a car in either bay. It's about 8 meters to the garage door, so tantalizingly close to my goal. But yes, the non-standarization of this entire ev industry is too quirky... we should note that with ICE the mfgrs could not even agree on which side the tank fill should be. Some cars in the 50-60's hid it behind the license plate, or BEHIND THE FRIKN TAIL LIGHT (what could go wrong?)

And don't get me started on where/how to open the hood. Every model in every brand has their kink.

I'm going to say the Lucid engineers thought long and hard about this, and then did what some trendy fashion designer asked. Is it possible to have induction charging in the floor of the garage?

So I’m not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere … but my charging plug is on a wall located to the right rear of the vehicle. I cannot reach the charging port unless I go underneath the car.

I couldn’t find any longer cables on Lucid’s store for sale and based on the manual it says not to use extension cords.

Any ideas on how to address this without having to have yet another wall outlet installed ?
I got a heavy duty electrical cable, rated for 60 amps, got the plugs (14-50 male and female) from home depot and built an extension cable.

It now charges, via EA home charger, my AGT & MSLR.

Time to call an electrician and have the EVSE moved?
Ya that’s an option… but ended up cleaning garage and backing in … wife doing that will be an issue though lol

I got a heavy duty electrical cable, rated for 60 amps, got the plugs (14-50 male and female) from home depot and built an extension cable.

It now charges, via EA home charger, my AGT & MSLR.
I was thinking of doing something similar but worried about it after reading the manual that said no extension cord …

View attachment 4852 so prescient they were

My electrician is due next week. Been humping over where Betty goes in the 3 bay garage...it's not that easy because I was thinking I wanted to be able to charge when the vehicle(s) are outside (don't ask). Decided on a central, front wall location so at least I can do a car in either bay. It's about 8 meters to the garage door, so tantalizingly close to my goal. But yes, the non-standarization of this entire ev industry is too quirky... we should note that with ICE the mfgrs could not even agree on which side the tank fill should be. Some cars in the 50-60's hid it behind the license plate, or BEHIND THE FRIKN TAIL LIGHT (what could go wrong?)

And don't get me started on where/how to open the hood. Every model in every brand has their kink.

I'm going to say the Lucid engineers thought long and hard about this, and then did what some trendy fashion designer asked. Is it possible to have induction charging in the floor of the garage?
That’s about the only benefit I currently see in my garage at the moment … I can charge outside …

Ya that’s an option… but ended up cleaning garage and backing in … wife doing that will be an issue though lol
Should be relatively easy with the overhead view?

A 240V extension cord is a pretty unsafe thing on a garage floor. There's a reason that electrical outlets and other connections are located above the floor in potentially wet areas.

View attachment 4852 so prescient they were

Induction chargers on the floor are already on the market. The EV manufacturers just to install the car chargers to match the floor charger. The floor charger has to be in addition to the port charger. It's not likely highway charge stations will have floor chargers anytime soon.

A 240V extension cord is a pretty unsafe thing on a garage floor. There's a reason that electrical outlets and other connections are located above the floor in potentially wet areas.
So you are saying I can run a 240v extension cord if I hang it up off the floor?

Not to belabor this topic, but the very little I know (I'm an engineer but not an electrician) and have built rooms, upgrades around home, you should be OK doing what I did. But then again, don't hold me to it. My threshold for 'safety' will be different from yours.

I reasoned that if I have to 'extend' the existing outlet to a more comfortable location, the electrician will still need to buy the same 6 or 8 guage wire, run it either outside the drywall through a metal conduit; or run it behind the drywall (subject to insulation & other safety parameters). Once you find the ideal location, he/she will terminate it with a female outlet.

I did the same - but with a male & female ports; and it sits on top of the garage racks - well away from the floor, water, liquids, etc ... And I did get an electrician to look @ it. His verbal approval was enough for me.

G'luck

Back