Lucid Charging cable use and speed. 120v

kerplunk

A friend has a standard 120v outlet on the exterior of a house he rents.

I don't want to cause issues with his power, but he offered a place to crash for eclipse viewing and said I could charge. He isn't sure if its a dedicated 120v or if it is shared.

My concern is:

1. Is plugging in the Air going to blow his breakers or will the Air only pull as much current as possible without turning the lights off?
2. I feel like I know the answer is no, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does there exist an extension cable I can use with the Lucid Mobile charging cable? The cable is 20ft, but I also want to be prepared since the exterior outlet located on a balcony.
3. Is my estimate of 3 miles per hour reasonable in terms of charging speed off of a lvl1? (trying to make it back without fighting for a spot at public chargers)

A friend has a standard 120v outlet on the exterior of a house he rents.

I don't want to cause issues with his power, but he offered a place to crash for eclipse viewing and said I could charge. He isn't sure if its a dedicated 120v or if it is shared.

My concern is:

1. Is plugging in the Air going to blow his breakers or will the Air only pull as much current as possible without turning the lights off?
2. I feel like I know the answer is no, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does there exist an extension cable I can use with the Lucid Mobile charging cable? The cable is 20ft, but I also want to be prepared since the exterior outlet located on a balcony.
3. Is my estimate of 3 miles per hour reasonable in terms of charging speed off of a lvl1? (trying to make it back without fighting for a spot at public chargers)
I've charged on a 110 before with no issue, but every houses wiring is different
You should not be using an extension cable
I only achieved 1 mi/hr while on a 110, but the Amps on your line is the determining factor.

1. EV charging adapters have no idea how much current is safe to draw from house wiring, other than the current they are designed to operate at, or the setting they are set to. All 120V standard plug chargers will draw 12 amps. If there is something else on that same circuit drawing power elsewhere in the house, the breaker may trip.

2) You shouldn't use an extension cord for safety reasons. But if you do, use a 12-gauge outdoor-rated cord, not 14 gauge or some thin cord made for indoor use.

3) You'll get between 3mph and zero depending on the ambient temperature and if your car is awake, or locked and asleep.

4) After charging using the 120V receptacle for 10-15 minutes, unplug the cord from the receptacle and feel the temperature of the prongs on the plug you just pulled out. If they're hot, stop. An outlet's wiring and internal metal parts can loosen and deteriorate with time, leading to melting stuff and the chance of a fire. The plug's prongs should feel warm to the touch, not hot. This is why the strong recommendation is to hardwire a home charging station rather than using a 14-50 receptacle and plug.

I've charged on a 110 before with no issue, but every houses wiring is different
You should not be using an extension cable
I only achieved 1 mi/hr while on a 110, but the Amps on your line is the determining factor.
you can use an extension cord providing that it is a lower gauge, heavy duty cord. those orange ones won't cut it

Back