Leaving it plugged in but not charging

duc900

Cars
AGT Black/Tahoe
Not sure what I should have expected. But I left the car plugged in this morning; however, I stopped charging before I left. The car was below its set charging limit. And about an hr later began charging again without me requesting. I had left it that way to test if I could essentially leave it plugged and dictate remotely when to start or stop charging via the app. A test for an upcoming trip where I will be out of town for a couple weeks.

Is this behaving as it supposed to? Meaning automatically beginning a charge again given I am below my set charge threshold.

Does your charger have settings on it to tell when the car can charge and when it can't? If not, the Lucid will charge automatically when it needs to. Mine will only charge outside the hours of 4pm to 9pm but this is controlled via the charger as Lucid currently doesn't support this.

Does your charger have settings on it to tell when the car can charge and when it can't? If not, the Lucid will charge automatically when it needs to. Mine will only charge outside the hours of 4pm to 9pm but this is controlled via the charger as Lucid currently doesn't support this.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the type of charger. This is using the Lucid mobile charger.

Then no, if you leave it plugged in the car will charge when it needs to regardless of time of day etc. So if you don't want it to charge, leave it unplugged

Not sure what I should have expected. But I left the car plugged in this morning; however, I stopped charging before I left. The car was below its set charging limit. And about an hr later began charging again without me requesting. I had left it that way to test if I could essentially leave it plugged and dictate remotely when to start or stop charging via the app. A test for an upcoming trip where I will be out of town for a couple weeks.

Is this behaving as it supposed to? Meaning automatically beginning a charge again given I am below my set charge threshold.
Well, you could charge it to 80 and just leave it unplugged like one of our other forum members. Only loses about 1% every few days if weather is cooperating.

Is there any activity that should be happening to maintain the battery after charging is finished and the car remains plugged in? It doesn't appear so to me. My setup is the car is in the garage (usually 40 to 50F this time of year) and plugged into a Wallbox charger delivering 40 amps and charging to 80%. I charged the car this morning and went back to it 2 hours after it finished. The display said something similar to, "power is limited due to a cold battery". I assumed leaving it plugged in would maintain battery temperature and top off the charge as needed? If not, why bother leaving it plugged in?

Pete

Is there any activity that should be happening to maintain the battery after charging is finished and the car remains plugged in? It doesn't appear so to me. My setup is the car is in the garage (usually 40 to 50F this time of year) and plugged into a Wallbox charger delivering 40 amps and charging to 80%. I charged the car this morning and went back to it 2 hours after it finished. The display said something similar to, "power is limited due to a cold battery". I assumed leaving it plugged in would maintain battery temperature and top off the charge as needed? If not, why bother leaving it plugged in?

Pete
Any thoughts?

Pete
I have WallBox myself at 48amp. I leave it plugged in. Although battery thermal management system will maintain its temperature, but it always top up whenever I open the mobile app.

I have WallBox myself at 48amp. I leave it plugged in. Although battery thermal management system will maintain its temperature, but it always top up whenever I open the mobile app.

I think that is what my charger does. It only adds to the charge when I open the app or I assume if the battery drops below a certain level. I don't see that there is any thermal management happening between charges as evidenced by the display saying "power is reduced due to a cold battery." If there is no thermal management, why leave it plugged in?

Pete

You don’t suppose the thermal management keep battery warm thus drain a little bit of your HV battery SOC so when you open the app, it is trying to charge back?

Well, you could charge it to 80 and just leave it unplugged like one of our other forum members. Only loses about 1% every few days if weather is cooperating.
Is there any harm to battery longevity with leaving it unplugged for prolonged periods of time eg a week to 10 days at a stretch?

It's better, if possible, to keep your battery somewhere around 60% for longevity from what I remember.

Does Lucid not recommend plugging in every night, regardless of SOC? Tesla advocates plugging in every night, to maintain the health of the 12v system ("A plugged in car is a happy car"). But a glowing Motor Trend article from yesterday suggested that, with a range of 420 miles, AT owners would only have to plug in every 2-3 days. I don't have an AT yet; probable delivery in a week or two.

Does Lucid not recommend plugging in every night, regardless of SOC? Tesla advocates plugging in every night, to maintain the health of the 12v system ("A plugged in car is a happy car"). But a glowing Motor Trend article from yesterday suggested that, with a range of 420 miles, AT owners would only have to plug in every 2-3 days. I don't have an AT yet; probable delivery in a week or two.
I plug in every day and top it off to 80%. Why not?

As I like to say to my wife, “You never know when we might have to skip town in a hurry.”

Hmmm...I only plug in when I get below 50%

I plug in every day and top it off to 80%. Why not?

As I like to say to my wife, “You never know when we might have to skip town in a hurry.”
I agree with this. The classic example of when someone gets sick, and you have to start driving right away.

I only plug in when car gets to around 20%. That is still well over 50 miles.

Back