Lane Centering ADJUSTMENTS in highway assist/Dream Drive

When I was on a longer trip a few weeks back, I got tired of applying that constant pressure and instead changed over to just "wiggling" a little every ten seconds or so. Which is annoying in other ways, but at least it's another way to get the car to understand you are still there and paying attention. I do wish the wheel could sense the presence of your hands without that counterweight, but that ship has sailed. Perhaps in a future iteration of the Air…
I've thought about wrapping a wrist weight on the cross arm to stop alerts but that's obviously out now even if it wouldn't have been the smartest thing

Can you record a video?
Will do....its not that it biases, it crosses the lane.

I cannot hold the wheel in HA because any hold introduces some turning force, and then off into another lane I go!

Worse, there is no resistance or warning when it crosses a lane.

Then, i goes back to working for a while, then it bounces to one side of the lane and over corrects to the other even with light holding of the wheel.

It was terrific before - the best. Its awful now.

This is interesting because I always hang my hand by a finger and the weight of that counts as holding the wheel sensor wise but it sounds like this will now cause me to utilize the bias.

There was always enough counter tension from HA to support the weight of my hand hanging. I have a road trip coming up in a week and a half so I'll find out then but it sounds like I won't be using HA unless I can find an alternate relaxed comfortable way to satisfy the hold the wheel requirement.
That's was what I used to do.....doesn't work...but its even worse. Even while holding the wheel, you introduce some asymmetry and so then you are wobbling down the highway without even any resistance as it drifts across lanes without even a normal alert.

That's was what I used to do.....doesn't work...but its even worse. Even while holding the wheel, you introduce some asymmetry and so then you are wobbling down the highway without even any resistance as it drifts across lanes without even a normal alert.
You are not using HA or something is very wrong with it.

If I apply pressure (which takes effort) it adjusts briefly and then recenters. It would *never* cross a lane marker without loudly doing the lane keep assist warnings (which it turns on every time HA is on even if you have it turned off in settings) and I’ve never ever had HA try to cross a lane without disengaging HA entirely, or unless *it* disengaged.

I’m certainly not saying you’re lying - I completely believe you’re experiencing this behavior of course. But a video would help track down what a possible solution might be. :)

If I apply pressure (which takes effort) it adjusts briefly and then recenters. It would *never* cross a lane marker without loudly doing the lane keep assist warnings (which it turns on every time HA is on even if you have it turned off in settings) and I’ve never ever had HA try to cross a lane without disengaging HA entirely, or unless *it* disengaged.

I’m certainly not saying you’re lying - I completely believe you’re experiencing this behavior of course. But a video would help track down what a possible solution might be. :)
My thoughts, precisely. I didn't believe it myself.

I am using HA - the screen lights up and confirms. But it does - and I was amazed because it never did it before - cross a lane with warning or resistance while the HA was confirmed to be engaged. It doesn't do it all the time, just seemingly randomly. Much of the trip from SF to Tahoe, it felt like the car was out of control when HA was engaged. I'll have my wife take a video on the way back. I can't because I don't trust HA anymore. Certainly I am visiting the service center very soon, too.

Its there any way to roll back? It was GREAT before 2.1.3

When I was on a longer trip a few weeks back, I got tired of applying that constant pressure and instead changed over to just "wiggling" a little every ten seconds or so. Which is annoying in other ways, but at least it's another way to get the car to understand you are still there and paying attention. I do wish the wheel could sense the presence of your hands without that counterweight, but that ship has sailed. Perhaps in a future iteration of the Air…
Maybe the face recog camera can detect hands on the wheel. It'd be an improvement even if it can only see the top half of the wheel.

I really can’t understand why they chose torque over touch. I think the best way to correct it is to get rid off it all together and go line of sight, like BMW. My understanding is that we have all of the hardware to be able to do that and I hope their brain trust is working on it.

I really can’t understand why they chose torque over touch. I think the best way to correct it is to get rid off it all together and go line of sight, like BMW. My understanding is that we have all of the hardware to be able to do that and I hope their brain trust is working on it.
Measuring steering wheel torque is free. Touch sensing needs another little bit of electronics and additional wiring.

@DeaneG My hope is that they go to eye tracking like BMW and scrap torque sensing all together. I agree that switching to touch would be complicated at this point.

My thoughts, precisely. I didn't believe it myself.

I am using HA - the screen lights up and confirms. But it does - and I was amazed because it never did it before - cross a lane with warning or resistance while the HA was confirmed to be engaged. It doesn't do it all the time, just seemingly randomly. Much of the trip from SF to Tahoe, it felt like the car was out of control when HA was engaged. I'll have my wife take a video on the way back. I can't because I don't trust HA anymore. Certainly I am visiting the service center very soon, too.

Its there any way to roll back? It was GREAT before 2.1.3
It likely wasn’t the version upgrade; more likely than anything, there was already a failing component or a bad calibration and it just got exposed by the latest software. It *could* have been the upgrade, of course, but we’d have heard about the bug on other vehicles too most likely.

Yeah, service for sure.

The current form of “Lane Biasing” feature is a bad practice during an active Highway Assist session.

Before this feature started from the firmware update 2.1.2, the system automatically centered the lane. When a driver disagreed with the system, the driver could manually override it by over-torquing the steering. There’s no confusion about who’s in control at that time.

With this current “Lane Biasing” feature, a continuous light torque on the steering wheel that did not have any steering effect before, now that same constant light torque induces off-centering and drifting out of the lane as a function of an active Highway Assist.

Before, Highway Assist did not allow drifting out of the lane as a function. Now, it does with the alert. The drifting-out-of-lane alert is now a function of Highway Assist that allows drifting out of the lane.

An alert is not a solution for drifting-out-of-lane that still allows drifting out of the lane.

The current form of “Lane Biasing” feature is a bad practice during an active Highway Assist session.

Before this feature started from the firmware update 2.1.2, the system automatically centered the lane. When a driver disagreed with the system, the driver could manually override it by over-torquing the steering. There’s no confusion about who’s in control at that time.

With this current “Lane Biasing” feature, a continuous light torque on the steering wheel that did not have any steering effect before, now that same constant light torque induces off-centering and drifting out of the lane as a function of an active Highway Assist.

Before, Highway Assist did not allow drifting out of the lane as a function. Now, it does with the alert. The drifting-out-of-lane alert is now a function of Highway Assist that allows drifting out of the lane.

An alert is not a solution for drifting-out-of-lane that still allows drifting out of the lane.
2.1.10 seems to have corrected drifting out of the lane for me. Drove 3 hours with HA and while it got very close to the lane marker, never crossed it then would center itself. There were a couple of instances where it would go from the left lane marker to the right lane marker then center itself. HA is at least usable in its current state and I’ll be giving it a workout on the return leg going Seattle to SD in a few days. How HA handles curves still needs work with too many increasing and decreasing radius adjustments kind of like how a beginner driver would handle curves.

2.1.10 seems to have corrected drifting out of the lane for me. Drove 3 hours with HA and while it got very close to the lane marker, never crossed it then would center itself. There were a couple of instances where it would go from the left lane marker to the right lane marker then center itself. HA is at least usable in its current state and I’ll be giving it a workout on the return leg going Seattle to SD in a few days. How HA handles curves still needs work with too many increasing and decreasing radius adjustments kind of like how a beginner driver would handle curves.
This is my experience. Before 2.1.3, it was fine - except for mountain curves. After 2.1.3, it was out of control. After 2.1.10, it is mostly fine and usable.

I have noticed since lane biasing was enabled, especially when my route has multiple slightly wavy bends, my Air will lane bias itself out of its lane.

For example, on a wavy route, if my Air on HA enters a slight bend to the right, my Air will start to bias towards the left of the lane by itself. Then once the route starts bending to the left, my Air will automatically throw itself to the right of the lane but sometimes enough to knock my Air out of HA and send my Air at a slant unless I take over. It did not have this issue before when it was lane centering biasing towards the center.

I'm still trying to figure out where to rest my hand on the wheel to avoid the HA nag alert and also not drift to the edge of the lane...any recommendations?

I used to be able to just rest my hand on the bottom corner applying slight pressure & never get the nag but after the update it now drifts when holding the same way or causes ping ponging on curves. I wish I could turn the new lane adjust feature on or off. I don't mind the HA alerts on short drives but it's annoying on longer drives & it seems to me that the recent update would have made more sense if it was a capacitive wheel that sensed hand placement vs torque. I find myself now just switching back to cruise control but really want HA to be viable.

I'm still trying to figure out where to rest my hand on the wheel to avoid the HA nag alert and also not drift to the edge of the lane...any recommendations?

I used to be able to just rest my hand on the bottom corner applying slight pressure & never get the nag but after the update it now drifts when holding the same way or causes ping ponging on curves. I wish I could turn the new lane adjust feature on or off. I don't mind the HA alerts on short drives but it's annoying on longer drives & it seems to me that the recent update would have made more sense if it was a capacitive wheel that sensed hand placement vs torque. I find myself now just switching back to cruise control but really want HA to be viable.
Mine is like a drunk now. All over the place in curves and when shadows overlap the road. Everywhere else the car is fine.

I can normally rest my hand in the bottom left curve when my arm rests on my left leg OR middle left of the steering wheel with elbow on arm rest. An extension of another 3-4 inches of the steering wheel would be the real fix.

I discovered recently with the new manual bias that resting in the bottom corner slowly moves the car over and the ping longing occurs when the car moves too much from the center line. No more ping ponging now that I only rest my fingers instead of my whole arm.

Mine is like a drunk now. All over the place in curves and when shadows overlap the road. Everywhere else the car is fine.

I can normally rest my hand in the bottom left curve when my arm rests on my left leg OR middle left of the steering wheel with elbow on arm rest. An extension of another 3-4 inches of the steering wheel would be the real fix.
I experience the same....HA is much, much worse now. I hope we can turn off manual lane centering in the future. I see no advantage at all in manual lane centering. Yesterday, I spoke with a LUcid engineer at the grocery store, who indicated this was noticed.

How do I access the lane biasing feature. When I did HA recently I didn’t notice it.

Back