Lane Centering ADJUSTMENTS in highway assist/Dream Drive

I played around with HA on my roundtrip drive up to Chapel Hill to pick my son up from UNC. On both legs, HA started out as "merge left". I would turn it on and the car would just drift to the left, over the line and had to have some intervention before I hit the wall or ran off the road. Later on in the drive, I tried it again and it appeared to do what it was designed to do. It just isn't consistent enough to be trusted and is downright dangerous. Not surprisingly, HA acts much like the entertainment system, sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

No more HA for me.
My experience is the same. First I do not know when Dream Drive or Highway Assist will engage. Mostly it gets to Adaptive Cruise Control. On occasions HA engages the car weaves from left line to right line. Sometimes the steering has to be jerked to make it center.
I hope Lucid fixes this annoyance. I own a Tesla. I find that self driving easier. May be in course of time I will get used to Lucid.

RKW

I just did a short drive on the highway again with the updated HA, and I think @hydbob is right; it seems like there's a lower threshold of pressure now to keep the car from warning you about keeping your hands on the wheel. Which is nice. I found just two fingers of my left hand on the left bottom of the wheel is enough to suppress any warnings, while not being enough to trigger a bias to the left.

The whole biasing itself still feels odd, and frankly I'd rather just not have it at this point. But at least I can keep it from biasing just using those two fingers now.
I too get this warning often. It may be because I have a steering wheel cover to protect from my sweaty hands!
When I put my finger on the left toggle switch on the wheel it seems to recognize my hand!

I discovered recently with the new manual bias that resting in the bottom corner slowly moves the car over and the ping longing occurs when the car moves too much from the center line. No more ping ponging now that I only rest my fingers instead of my whole arm.
I tested this again yesterday by keeping my hands off the wheel as long as possible. With my hands off the wheel the car was still ping pinging around the lane. I don’t think the torque sensitivity has changed in any tangible way, at least not for me.

I hope the next update is to correct HA. Sorry Android Auto people, still pulling for you, but for next Thursday not this week. 😎

Unless I am doing this wrong, I echo the request for separate icons on the dash for both folding the mirrors and opening and closing the garage door. When I exit the garage, I have to refold the mirrors which open out upon my approach, back out, and then either shift to park or hit the delete icons to shutoff the rear camera feed on the dash and the surround view on the pilot panel to close the garage.and open the mirrors. If I am in a hurry, I hop into the T-Bird which is parked on the driveway.

Unless I am doing this wrong, I echo the request for separate icons on the dash for both folding the mirrors and opening and closing the garage door. When I exit the garage, I have to refold the mirrors which open out upon my approach, back out, and then either shift to park or hit the delete icons to shutoff the rear camera feed on the dash and the surround view on the pilot panel to close the garage.and open the mirrors. If I am in a hurry, I hop into the T-Bird which is parked on the driveway.
This was a day 1 complaint of mine that has yet to be addressed tho hope it will in the future.

This was a day 1 complaint of mine that has yet to be addressed...
OT, but I am surprised this hasn't been fixed in the year I've had the car.

I tested this again yesterday by keeping my hands off the wheel as long as possible. With my hands off the wheel the car was still ping pinging around the lane. I don’t think the torque sensitivity has changed in any tangible way, at least not for me.

I hope the next update is to correct HA. Sorry Android Auto people, still pulling for you, but for next Thursday not this week.
I have often experienced the ping-pong effect since the update.. On a recent drive to Baltimore, I found that after I stopped and exited the car for a driving pause, the ping-pong effect was noticeable once I restarted and re-entered the highway. If I then switched to adaptive cruise while still driving, left it there for a minute or two, and then re-engaged Assisted Driving, the ping-ponging was less. I have no idea why. And I, too, keep being nagged to keep my hand on the wheel when. It is already there.

This was a day 1 complaint of mine that has yet to be addressed tho hope it will in the future.
I hope lucid copies Rivian’s solution, which just came as an update to me last week. Now, as I approach my front gate or garage, an icon appears on the screen which allows me to one touch a button on the steering wheel to open or close the garage or gate. Such a profoundly simple and genius solution, which I can’t imagine would be hard for Lucid to replicate since its already geofenced.

I'm still trying to figure out where to rest my hand on the wheel to avoid the HA nag alert and also not drift to the edge of the lane...any recommendations?

I used to be able to just rest my hand on the bottom corner applying slight pressure & never get the nag but after the update it now drifts when holding the same way or causes ping ponging on curves. I wish I could turn the new lane adjust feature on or off. I don't mind the HA alerts on short drives but it's annoying on longer drives & it seems to me that the recent update would have made more sense if it was a capacitive wheel that sensed hand placement vs torque. I find myself now just switching back to cruise control but really want HA to be viable.
Yup, I just found that yesterday during my first attempt using HA. I got near constant nags no matter where I placed my hands. Then I tried a death grip on the wheel that was so tight I was afraid the car would call 911 to report it was being assaulted (didn’t realize at the time there was no capacitive touch). I finally gave up.

It‘s not a huge deal to me since I prefer driving the car myself, but this feature, IMO, needs more refinement in a future software update. Hey, at least it’s not as bad as my 2017 MS that tried to steer me into cement walls.

Last edited:
I implemented a skill via Alexa, MyQ & LiveKey to close my garage door. I will not claim this was easy to set up and it took numerous trial & errors, but now as I back out I simply say, ‘Alexa, close garage’. It’s worked 100% of the time thus far.

Wrong thread.

Back