Lane Centering ADJUSTMENTS in highway assist/Dream Drive

Will do....its not that it biases, it crosses the lane.

I cannot hold the wheel in HA because any hold introduces some turning force, and then off into another lane I go!

Worse, there is no resistance or warning when it crosses a lane.

Then, i goes back to working for a while, then it bounces to one side of the lane and over corrects to the other even with light holding of the wheel.

It was terrific before - the best. Its awful now.
Yep. It is completely unusable now. If the wheel was capacitive, this feature whould have some benefit. But now the amount of resistance to prevent the nag warning to hold the wheel vs nudge the vehicle in lane is maybe a few grams of force! Lucid needs to either remove this feature or all it to be turned off. @mcr16 please pass this on to the engining team.

Yep. It is completely unusable now. If the wheel was capacitive, this feature whould have some benefit. But now the amount of resistance to prevent the nag warning to hold the wheel vs nudge the vehicle in lane is maybe a few grams of force! Lucid needs to either remove this feature or all it to be turned off. @mcr16 please pass this on to the engining team.
A classic case of customer requests X only to really want Y. "Bring me a rock!" as the saying goes followed by "I didn't want THAT rock!". Comes from the first visit to the moon where the astronauts brought back "boring" rocks from a geological standpoint and brought a box full of the same kind of rock.

On a serious note, the lane detection for bias to the right appears not to detect the lane (or at least keep the car in lane) on sunny, straight stretches of road. Much to my wife's distress I repeated the experiment of bias several times only to cross without warning or resistance. No dice.

May I suggest the likely desired implementation sought by owners?

1) A light touch/torque threshold for steering wheel input for the presence of a hand. Capacitive touch steering ship has sailed, so this would be next best.
2) Lane bias based on the detection of vehicles to the side of the car based on a minimum threshold of buffer and bounded by lane.
2a) Case of a vehicle on either side hugging the shared line, bias to the opposite direction within the bounds of the lane to maintain a minimum distance.
2b) Case of vehicles present on both sides with either or both hugging the shared lines, bias to centerpoint distance between the two vehicles within the bounds of the lane. Driver is responsible for slowing or speeding up in cases of convergence from either side by either vehicle.
3) A setting to adjust distance in Dream Drive settings as minimum maintainence within bounds of lane.
4) Maintain current lane change torque requirements/signature curve (seems to be in a sweet spot as is).

A more difficult implementation certainly, but I believe this is the desired end state. Please let me know if this makes sense or reads like gibberish.

It’s been on my “want” list for Tesla forever and now for Lucid: Lane centering ADJUSTMENT OPTIONS for Highway Assist/Dream Drive. Maybe the computer is more daring than me but I feel like it centers the car too close to the right for comfort both for me and sometimes that semi-truck looks down at me as I'm passing on the left with a look, "do you have a death wish"? I'd love to be able to have my car adjust 1, 2 or 3 'clicks' to the left! Now, I see it can be done in the Volkswagen & Porsche! I did not see it as a "want" with @Bobby 's "LucidUpdates" so am starting that thread here to see if I'm alone?
You are right on! I am scared to use it because it keeps the car too far right. I thought Lucid sent out a fix for this a few weeks ago, but there was no instructions on how to center the car in the lane.

This needs to be fixed ASAP or there may be some bad consequences...

A classic case of customer requests X only to really want Y. "Bring me a rock!" as the saying goes followed by "I didn't want THAT rock!". Comes from the first visit to the moon where the astronauts brought back "boring" rocks from a geological standpoint and brought a box full of the same kind of rock.

On a serious note, the lane detection for bias to the right appears not to detect the lane (or at least keep the car in lane) on sunny, straight stretches of road. Much to my wife's distress I repeated the experiment of bias several times only to cross without warning or resistance. No dice.

May I suggest the likely desired implementation sought by owners?

1) A light touch/torque threshold for steering wheel input for the presence of a hand. Capacitive touch steering ship has sailed, so this would be next best.
2) Lane bias based on the detection of vehicles to the side of the car based on a minimum threshold of buffer and bounded by lane.
2a) Case of a vehicle on either side hugging the shared line, bias to the opposite direction within the bounds of the lane to maintain a minimum distance.
2b) Case of vehicles present on both sides with either or both hugging the shared lines, bias to centerpoint distance between the two vehicles within the bounds of the lane. Driver is responsible for slowing or speeding up in cases of convergence from either side by either vehicle.
3) A setting to adjust distance in Dream Drive settings as minimum maintainence within bounds of lane.
4) Maintain current lane change torque requirements/signature curve (seems to be in a sweet spot as is).

A more difficult implementation certainly, but I believe this is the desired end state. Please let me know if this makes sense or reads like gibberish.
Nice job. What I want is some sort of feature or button to set when I am comfortable with my position in the lane.

I also want a garage door opener/closer button on the dash at all times for when I back out of my garage!

I love this thread, because it demonstrates perfectly why you should never give customers exactly what they ask for. Instead, search for the "why" behind the request and find the correct solution.

Customers, by and large, are much better at expressing something feels "off" than they are at presenting solutions that will actually work in the real world.

I think it could be a mixture of both. Allow the car to move within the lane centering, but once moved to a specific position in the lane, it should maintain that.

Now the problem is how to keep your hands on the wheel without disrupting that and overriding it. No easy way I can think of maybe a double click of the lane button to maintain the position, and it behaves as it did before where we can rest our hands without it drifting.

I discovered recently with the new manual bias that resting in the bottom corner slowly moves the car over and the ping longing occurs when the car moves too much from the center line. No more ping ponging now that I only rest my fingers instead of my whole arm.
I get this and that’s a fine workaround, but I wish they would finally fix HA to make it so you don’t have to drive like The Princess and the Pea. It becomes much more noticeable after driving literally any other car that has this feature. The big up charge for Dream drive Pro needs to be met with average features at this point.

I get this and that’s a fine workaround, but I wish they would finally fix HA to make it so you don’t have to drive like The Princess and the Pea. It becomes much more noticeable after driving literally any other car that has this feature. The big up charge for Dream drive Pro needs to be met with average features at this point.
I'm sure they'll dial it in, Lucid has to work to make this feature theirs and that's only possible with feedback so I think this is all constructive criticism

Just wanted to add to the group providing feedback that HA is worse now after the software update. Prior, it was solid and I felt like I could trust it. Now, it drifts within the lane, almost bouncing between the lines. On some instances, it would cross and I’d grab the wheel.

Just wanted to add to the group providing feedback that HA is worse now after the software update. Prior, it was solid and I felt like I could trust it. Now, it drifts within the lane, almost bouncing between the lines. On some instances, it would cross and I’d grab the wheel.
Unfortunately I think we are seeing the fundamental flaws of instituting a torque HA system coming home to roost. The system can’t tell the difference between the required time sensitive torque and an intention to manually adjust the lane position, hence the pulling to one side and then ping ponging back. I believe that Lucid needs to abandon the torque all together and go to eye positioning like BMW. My understanding is that we have all the necessary cameras to do this and it would probably be a lot less expensive than redesigning a touch wheel and instituting a recall. Personally I would prefer to lose the lane biasing until a better solution is instituted. It’s really not usable the way it is.

Unfortunately I think we are seeing the fundamental flaws of instituting a torque HA system coming home to roost. The system can’t tell the difference between the required time sensitive torque and an intention to manually adjust the lane position, hence the pulling to one side and then ping ponging back. I believe that Lucid needs to abandon the torque all together and go to eye positioning like BMW. My understanding is that we have all the necessary cameras to do this and it would probably be a lot less expensive than redesigning a touch wheel and instituting a recall. Personally I would prefer to lose the lane biasing until a better solution is instituted. It’s really not usable the way it is.
Does your car not tell you to WATCH THE ROAD frequently? Mine does at times even though I'm clearly watching the road. An eyes only HA would be even more disastrous than the current iteration.

I think in the short term, the easiest thing would be to add an option to turn lane biasing off. Then go back to the drawing board maybe and figure out whether eye confirmation is viable. I suspect not.

Ideally, lane biasing would happen automatically, when the car detects something in the lane next to you. Not sure how far they are away from that solution, code-wise. My suspicion is currently the car only sees the lane markers and the car in front of you. Not anything on the sides. It has the sensors for that, of course, but that doesn’t mean the software is incorporating that data yet.

I trust they will figure it out eventually. In the short term, give us the option of turning biasing off.

I think in the short term, the easiest thing would be to add an option to turn lane biasing off. Then go back to the drawing board maybe and figure out whether eye confirmation is viable. I suspect not.
I was under the impression that the eventual level 3 driving was going to be managed by eye awareness and that the interior cameras could help facilitate this. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking because I don’t think there is anything written by Lucid on this topic.

I will say that the focus alerts work every time. Seems like it would work really well if they ever decided to loosen up on the nanny restrictions and let go of torque. I would love to hear Peter do a tech talk on the L2 and L3 roadmap.

Does your car not tell you to WATCH THE ROAD frequently? Mine does at times even though I'm clearly watching the road. An eyes only HA would be even more disastrous than the current iteration.
I’m sure they can make adjustments to the sensitivity just like BMW, who has it nailed.

There's a nonzero chance your steering wheel position is too high and is thus blocking some part of the cameras responsible for triggering that WATCH THE ROAD notification.

There's a nonzero chance your steering wheel position is too high and is thus blocking some part of the cameras responsible for triggering that WATCH THE ROAD notification.
It's totally random as to when I get the notification. I can be driving straight on the highway. Yesterday, it happened while driving some twisty roads at high speeds - I definitely had my eyes on the road. I'd expect it to be much more frequent if the camera were blocked by the wheel.

It's totally random as to when I get the notification. I can be driving straight on the highway. Yesterday, it happened while driving some twisty roads at high speeds - I definitely had my eyes on the road. I'd expect it to be much more frequent if the camera were blocked by the wheel.
I'd play around with the wheel position or your seat height, but mine is very consistent

I just did a short drive on the highway again with the updated HA, and I think @hydbob is right; it seems like there's a lower threshold of pressure now to keep the car from warning you about keeping your hands on the wheel. Which is nice. I found just two fingers of my left hand on the left bottom of the wheel is enough to suppress any warnings, while not being enough to trigger a bias to the left.

The whole biasing itself still feels odd, and frankly I'd rather just not have it at this point. But at least I can keep it from biasing just using those two fingers now.

Back