Issue with Closing Garage from homelink - anyone experienced this?

Looks like I let the Delivery Agent get away before he was truly done. Time to go figure out how to add the garage door to my wife's profile...
Go into her profile and set it all up again...

This is a good example of how the elimination of real buttons and switches is a bad idea and IMHO not justifiable for someone claiming to sell a luxury car. In my current car there is a button on the rear view mirror; a simple press opens the garage door and a single press will close it. No need to go through menus.

I can't believe that car designers are too stupid to realize that most of us want real buttons and switches for things we use while actual moving the vehicle. I can understand saving a few bucks here and there by putting functions on a touchscreen for an economy or mid range car; but not on a car that claims to be a luxury vehicle (but other luxury car makers are doing the same thing). End of rant!

This is a good example of how the elimination of real buttons and switches is a bad idea and IMHO not justifiable for someone claiming to sell a luxury car. In my current car there is a button on the rear view mirror; a simple press opens the garage door and a single press will close it. No need to go through menus.

I can't believe that car designers are too stupid to realize that most of us want real buttons and switches for things we use while actual moving the vehicle. I can understand saving a few bucks here and there by putting functions on a touchscreen for an economy or mid range car; but not on a car that claims to be a luxury vehicle (but other luxury car makers are doing the same thing). End of rant!
Part of it is saving money, to be sure.

But part of it is being able to add future features you didn't have when the car was purchased or to correct design flaws after the fact. And that's pretty awesome. One of the articles that came out yesterday suggested Lucid is considering moving the four function buttons on the right cockpit screen to the left, so they will be more reachable to those with shorter arms.

Try doing that with physical buttons.

Companies have learned from the iPhone that touch screens are much more malleable than physical buttons. Remember phones with plastic keyboards? Everyone thought Apple was nuts for not copying that from Blackberry. But who's laughing now?

I agree, a garage door opener would be a good candidate for a physical button. Better yet, have a couple of extra physical buttons that we can program to do whatever we want them to? That would be cool. Personally, I'm never going to need a garage door opening function. Our garage is motion detected from the inside, and an RF sticker on the windshield opens it from the outside. So I wouldn't need a garage button. But maybe I could program that button to do something else?

I can't believe that car designers are too stupid to realize that most of us want real buttons and switches for things we use while actual moving the vehicle. I can understand saving a few bucks here and there by putting functions on a touchscreen for an economy or mid range car; but not on a car that claims to be a luxury vehicle (but other luxury car makers are doing the same thing).
I bet the people with more than three openers prefer the touch screen approach since Lucid allows up to 15 Homelink devices. It is probably a small percentage of people, but there is some advantages to it. I only need one Homelink so a physical button would work for me. However, if Lucid cleans up the UI so that it is easy to get to when leaving, I am good with the touch screen approach.

Buttons and knobs vs touch screens is mostly a generational habit from when you were growing up. Everyone I know in retirement hates touch screens. My granddaughter, 3 nieces and nephew laugh at the buttons and knobs on my older cars and think they are stupid. Years ago car companies catered to a more mature audience that had the money to buy high end cars. Today there are tens of thousands of tech millionaires in their 20’s and 30’s who want everything computerized. Companies are now listening to this younger crowd.

Buttons and knobs vs touch screens is mostly a generational habit from when you were growing up. Everyone I know in retirement hates touch screens. My granddaughter, 3 nieces and nephew laugh at the buttons and knobs on my older cars and think they are stupid. Years ago car companies catered to a more mature audience that had the money to buy high end cars. Today there are tens of thousands of tech millionaires in their 20’s and 30’s who want everything computerized. Companies are now listening to this younger crowd.
I am over 70 and love technology but there is a place for physical buttons in cars and it just makes ergonomic sense. My Navigator has a great combination of physical buttons and switches plus a lot of on-screen activities. I can be driving and put my hand on the the console and adjust the A/C and other systems purely by touch. Having to touch the screen while moving is very imprecise, to me. I also find "talking to my car" more distracting than buttons.

Buttons can also be duplicated on touch screens for those that prefer them.

There is a happy medium. I like buttons especially for locking/unlocking the doors and windows, adjusting the steering wheel, cabin temperature, HomeLink, audio level etc.

I am over 70 and love technology but there is a place for physical buttons in cars and it just makes ergonomic sense. My Navigator has a great combination of physical buttons and switches plus a lot of on-screen activities. I can be driving and put my hand on the the console and adjust the A/C and other systems purely by touch. Having to touch the screen while moving is very imprecise, to me. I also find "talking to my car" more distracting than buttons.

There is a happy medium. I like buttons especially for locking/unlocking the doors and windows, adjusting the steering wheel, cabin temperature, HomeLink, audio level etc.
I think Lucid created a somewhat happen medium in this regard. Specifically looking at the left drive panel with a touchscreen but static buttons is a good compromise IMO!

I think Lucid created a somewhat happen medium in this regard. Specifically looking at the left drive panel with a touchscreen but static buttons is a good compromise IMO!
No physical buttons for locking/unlocking the doors, adjusting the steering wheel and HomeLink adds up to a FAIL IMHO. :cool:

The AMG EQS is perfect for you. Just don't concern yourself with the 0-60 stuff.

The AMG EQS is perfect for you. Just don't concern yourself with the 0-60 stuff.
I don't care that much about the 0-60 stuff. The AMG EQS is plenty fast and handles well. I don't like the interior styling but it is much more functional than the Lucid.

I don't care that much about the 0-60 stuff. The AMG EQS is plenty fast and handles well. I don't like the interior styling but it is much more functional than the Lucid.
Agree. Functionally, the transition from ICE to the EQS is pretty smooth.

Agree. Functionally, the transition from ICE to the EQS is pretty smooth.
I think from ICE to Lucid was pretty easy as well

I think from ICE to Lucid was pretty easy as well
Still patiently waiting until I'm called for a test drive. Look forward to experiencing the pretty much unanimous vote here on the drive-ability of the Air.

Homelink needs to be set for EVERY profile...totally sucks, but that's apparently part of the security function in AAOS.
Ideally, they should have a selection for the each HomeLinked device that specifies that it is global. Or allow you to import HomeLink settings from other profiles, assuming you have the right PIN.

Ideally, they should have a selection for the each HomeLinked device that specifies that it is global. Or allow you to import HomeLink settings from other profiles, assuming you have the right PIN.
That’d be great, but likely impossible to do - homelink being separate per profile is a limitation of the Android Automotive OS, if I recall correctly, for security.

I started having the "won't close" problem after the 1.2.7 update IIRC. We put the physical clicker into the vehicle, but that actually had the same problem. Going with the "something the car sends out is causing the problem" theory, I moved the garage door's sensors--the ones that keep the door from closing if something is there--up 4 feet. It seems to be working (with Homelink) fine now. I just have to be sure not to leaving anything shorter than 4 feet--including the Lucid--in the door path.

Yep, it's the LIDAR or something on the front of car. As long as my car isn't pointed towards the garage door works perfectly.

Isn't the height of that sensor code?

Back