iPhone MagSafe mount to replace OEM charging pad.

Here is my version, it is a takeoff on the original @Bobby version and the @Jonnyc versions.
1676752201165.png

1676752224967.png

View attachment 9882
1676752282343.png

Here is my version, it is a takeoff on the original @Bobby version and the @Jonnyc versions.
View attachment 9880
View attachment 9881
View attachment 9882
View attachment 9883
Looks good.

The problem I had was that w/ my OtterBox, the magnet doesn't hold well enough and the phone wouldn't stay in place .. then I struggled w/ modifying (mostly w/ cardboard) the mounts, but they didn't work (phone would not stay .. especially when taking a right turn) and they looked horrible. Hence my "gift" from my nephew who loved the car, but hated the contraption I had made :oops: .. ..

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
1. It is very easy and quick to position the phone.
2. The phone charges at the maximum possible rate without wires (15W).
3. The console cover can close while the phone is in place and charging.
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
Hi,

I would appreciate the file - my local library is set up to print it.

Thank you in advance!

In previous post, I forgot to post photos w/ the Phone in place .. attaching now.

Also, got a chance to Facetime my nephew. He said he could make and send each unit for $35 (he didn't say so, but I'll add that outside the Continental US, price could be more depending on shipping costs). The look on his face when I asked about "sending the file", was enough for me to say, "not in the near future".
$35.00 is a bargain!! 👍

Hi,

I would appreciate the file - my local library is set up to print it.

Thank you in advance!
Absolutely, or I can print one out for you and send it to you if you’d like.

$35.00 is a bargain!! 👍
lol .. yeah .. he's a good kid and loves to create and print stuff .. we (friends and I) just give him enough $$ to cover materials, and shipping .. and a little extra to cover his payments for the 3D printer (still paying back his mom for it) .. ;)
👍

Absolutely, or I can print one out for you and send it to you if you’d like.
Hi Bobby - just learning about all this. One question: Do you know if it's possible to install 2 of these (looks like it should work). When I'm driving, my wife also needs her iPhone to be on a charger most of the time.

Sure - let me know, I can either order one or [hopefully] 2 of these from you!

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Bobby - just learning about all this. One question: Do you know if it's possible to install 2 of these (looks like it should work). When I'm driving, my wife also needs her iPhone to be on a charger most of the time.

Sure - let me know, I can either order one or [hopefully] 2 of these from you!

Thanks,

Terry
Yes, you can install one on each side. You will then need some sort of splitter for the USB-C port to power than both.

Maybe something like this will work...

I guess I'm curious if this would allow both iPhones to charge at the max rate. Should get interesting...

If you could send 2, let me know how to handle the cost! Thanks. Address is:

Send Bobby a PM

Big thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching for a MagSafe solution for the Lucid that would accommodate 2 iPhones and provide 15W fast charging. After doing a bit of research, there's a company called Course Motorsports that develops vehicle-specific phone mounts and have them for a number of vehicles. Their general concept is to unclip the dash panel(s) and find existing mounting points. From there, they create a bracket that simply mounts to the existing screw and the bracket then accepts a variety of mounts (including MagSafe and 15W MagSafe Charging) to the exposed bracket. The beauty of their solution is that it looks factory installed and is completely reversible - to remove simple unclip the dash panel and remove the bracket.

Looking at our interior, I would like to see a mount created for both the driver's side and passenger side (of course, you can choose to install one or both depending on what you prefer. Here is a video of the mount they developed for the Ford F150 - this is a great example of exactly what I would like to see them develop for our Lucids. The bracket for that truck can be used on both the driver and passenger side.

I reached out to them and they said they would be happy to develop mounts for our cars but would need a a Lucid in their shop for a day. They are in Milton, VT, so not exactly a major metropolitan area :(. I just got this email from them:

"We are located in Milton, Vermont. I'm not sure but my guess would be the nearest Lucid dealer might be Montreal Canada or possibly Boston, Massachusetts. This is respectively a 3 and 4 hour drive from our facility which I believe is the reason we have not seen any around our area yet. If you wanted to reach out and someone was willing we would gladly cooperate with them. If anyone can leave the car with us for the day, they would receive the prototype mount and the head option of their choice installed in the car free of charge."

If a fellow owner in the NE is willing to bring their Lucid in for the day, you would receive the prototype mount and whichever head you wanted for the mount. I'm attaching pictures of two areas I think this mount would work great on both the driver and passenger side of the Lucid. If anyone is interested in donating your Lucid for getting this developed, PM me with your email and I'll introduce you in a reply email back and you can then get the visit scheduled.

I believe this will be a great solution for those of us looking to mount and possibly charge our phones. The only other thing I would look to do is direct-wire the MagSafe chargers to the fuse block under the glovebox. This would then give us a great solution!

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1229.jpeg
    IMG_1229.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 154
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching for a MagSafe solution for the Lucid that would accommodate 2 iPhones and provide 15W fast charging. After doing a bit of research, there's a company called Course Motorsports that develops vehicle-specific phone mounts and have them for a number of vehicles. Their general concept is to unclip the dash panel(s) and find existing mounting points. From there, they create a bracket that simply mounts to the existing screw and the bracket then accepts a variety of mounts (including MagSafe and 15W MagSafe Charging) to the exposed bracket. The beauty of their solution is that it looks factory installed and is completely reversible - to remove simple unclip the dash panel and remove the bracket.

Looking at our interior, I would like to see a mount created for both the driver's side and passenger side (of course, you can choose to install one or both depending on what you prefer. Here is a video of the mount they developed for the Ford F150 - this is a great example of exactly what I would like to see them develop for our Lucids. The bracket for that truck can be used on both the driver and passenger side.

I reached out to them and they said they would be happy to develop mounts for our cars but would need a a Lucid in their shop for a day. They are in Milton, VT, so not exactly a major metropolitan area :(. I just got this email from them:

"We are located in Milton, Vermont. I'm not sure but my guess would be the nearest Lucid dealer might be Montreal Canada or possibly Boston, Massachusetts. This is respectively a 3 and 4 hour drive from our facility which I believe is the reason we have not seen any around our area yet. If you wanted to reach out and someone was willing we would gladly cooperate with them. If anyone can leave the car with us for the day, they would receive the prototype mount and the head option of their choice installed in the car free of charge."

If a fellow owner in the NE is willing to bring their Lucid in for the day, you would receive the prototype mount and whichever head you wanted for the mount. I'm attaching pictures of two areas I think this mount would work great on both the driver and passenger side of the Lucid. If anyone is interested in donating your Lucid for getting this developed, PM me with your email and I'll introduce you in a reply email back and you can then get the visit scheduled.

I believe this will be a great solution for those of us looking to mount and possibly charge our phones. The only other thing I would look to do is direct-wire the MagSafe chargers to the fuse block under the glovebox. This would then give us a great solution!
Cool idea, and I hope someone takes you up on this. But the last thing I want is my phone to be visible while I'm driving. One of the things I actually like about Lucid's design choice with the phone charger is to put it inside the center console, hidden under the compartment door. I'd love to see someone make a dual charger that basically replaces the existing single one (and accommodates bigger phones, for those who have them.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the third-party market coming up with all sorts of Lucid solutions. Lots of opportunities there.

Cool idea, and I hope someone takes you up on this. But the last thing I want is my phone to be visible while I'm driving. One of the things I actually like about Lucid's design choice with the phone charger is to put it inside the center console, hidden under the compartment door. I'd love to see someone make a dual charger that basically replaces the existing single one (and accommodates bigger phones, for those who have them.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the third-party market coming up with all sorts of Lucid solutions. Lots of opportunities there.
Yes, extremely disappointed with the entire center console design and the very little engineering effort was put into the Port design and phone docks. What exists is not practical and limits the size of phone that can be used, and why there are two phone slots with only the driver's side having charging capability, this again is a huge issue for me given my wife is in the car with me and needs her phone charging whenever she is in the car.

For anyone like me that has a number of iPhone apps that control IoT devices and Security around the house, plus wanting to use functionality that would come with CarPlay (given it could still be a long way off as far as anyone knows), I really have a need to use various iPhone apps while traveling, including Waze in combination with my Radar detector. Also, when charging , it would be great to take advantage of watching Hulu or content on my Plex server via my iPhone app. My wife also like to watch videos while traveling, so having the ability to mount the iPhone and not have to hold it would be great for her. For me, hiding the iPhones in the center console will never happen given how much we both use our iPhones, therefore high-quality mounts and a couple additional USB-C PD circuits should provide a good long-term solution. As mentioned, if/when CarPlay is available, unfortunately there are many iPhone apps that are not CarPlay compatible...

Bobby, I would greatly appreciate one as well and if you do the other side. That one as well. I don’t believe that any of us would mind paying to offset at least your material costs.

Hi Everyone,

Damn that's a beautiful and elegant solution, so much better than destroying trim with adhesives or putting things in dumb places by sticking them to a vent.

So I looked at the link for the Puck and it looks like it would work for a Samsung too. Am I missing something?

And are you still willing to make the wedges, @Bobby ? If so, I'd love to buy 2 assuming that they can work on both sides. From your picture, it looks like it will. Please let me know. Thanks!

So I looked at the link for the Puck and it looks like it would work for a Samsung too. Am I missing something?

And are you still willing to make the wedges, @Bobby ? If so, I'd love to buy 2 assuming that they can work on both sides. From your picture, it looks like it will. Please let me know. Thanks!
The point of the wedge is simply to make room for the iPhone MagSafe charging puck since the iPhone Pro Max does not fit well in the provided charging spot. At first, I just stuck the MagSafe puck directly to the wireless charging spot in the car, but the bottom of the phone would not clear the clip down at the bottom. So I created a small wedge as shown in the picture to solve that. It is mounted with 3M double-sided tape, so therefore it is completely removable without any alterations to the car itself. There have been several other models proposed here on the forum, some with a recess for the MagSafe and its wire and some that stick down into the original holder. I've printed them all but had the best of luck with this simpler approach (simple minds, simple pleasures). It allows the user to position the puck anywhere he wants. I positioned mine low (see photo) so the rolltop could close when the phone is in there. Others may position it higher so they can see the phone better.

Any phone would definitely charge… but probably wouldn't magnetize... and might fall off or make poor contact. iPhones (12 and newer) have the magnet built in. For other models, you might need to get a case similar to this one (but for your specific model): Amazon: case with magnet. That would allow your phone to hold onto the magnet and stay snuggly where it belongs.

I am happy to make you a couple if you'd like; DM me your address. It only takes 16 seconds:

IMG_3756 Large.jpeg

Got my nephew to print me up another one .. now the wife is happy! .. we can both charge our phone
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_5280.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

Hello I am a high school student and has designed the model in the pictures below. This is for phones that may on fit in the slots already in the car. They fit right in and you put a charging puck in the middle(linked below)

https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw)

Attachments

• BED94C29-5AD6-4D2E-8706-8988A79C8ECB.jpeg
    BED94C29-5AD6-4D2E-8706-8988A79C8ECB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 5A04C741-093E-42AB-927B-F23BD7BEED4E.jpeg
    5A04C741-093E-42AB-927B-F23BD7BEED4E.jpeg
    856.3 KB · Views: 102
  • FB1BD385-20AF-41CE-91E9-50AAB81542EE.jpeg
    FB1BD385-20AF-41CE-91E9-50AAB81542EE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • 34A046CC-4B17-44EF-B554-76364A76CB84.jpeg
    34A046CC-4B17-44EF-B554-76364A76CB84.jpeg
    968.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 9B094C8D-C9B8-45EB-98C5-3A26E6BD0338.jpeg
    9B094C8D-C9B8-45EB-98C5-3A26E6BD0338.jpeg
    847.3 KB · Views: 110
Hello I am a high school student and has designed the model in the pictures below. This is for phones that may on fit in the slots already in the car. They fit right in and you put a charging puck in the middle(linked below)

https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw)
Nice work. Those look cool.

Back