I made a video about range.

Just wait until you see 2024 lucid air option pricing! 🤑🤑
Eh, I dunno... DDP is much cheaper, and although things like the "convenience" package are now optional, the vehicles start at a lower price and the package has a bit more features than the 23 model would have had.

Eh, I dunno... DDP is much cheaper, and although things like the "convenience" package are now optional, the vehicles start at a lower price and the package has a bit more features than the 23 model would have had.
The complaint was that porsche msrp doesn't mean anything. Which I agree! But that's the case with the 2024 Air as well. The Pure and Touring need about $20-$30k in options if you want the nice stuff. $4k for glass roof, $3000 for leather, $7k for DDP, $3k for SSP, $3k for comfort and convenience. Optional wheels, stealth, paint on top of that.

The complaint was that porsche msrp doesn't mean anything. Which I agree! But that's the case with the 2024 Air as well. The Pure and Touring need about $20-$30k in options if you want the nice stuff. $4k for glass roof, $3000 for leather, $7k for DDP, $3k for SSP, $3k for comfort and convenience. Optional wheels, stealth, paint on top of that.
True, but the whole reason they did this was because of all the feedback about not having enough options previously. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

No offence, but those prices are childs play in comparison to Porsche 🤣 you could probably make a base Macan like 180k or something there!

They haven't gone as extreme as Porsche, but it was definitely a step in that direction. Like @hydbob says, that was a direct result of owner feedback. And constant criticism about the starting price being too high.

Reminds me of the airlines. People complain airlines up charge you for everything these days. Then you ask people what their primary motivation is when selecting a flight, and they always say PRICE!

We do these things to ourselves.

No offence, but those prices are childs play in comparison to Porsche 🤣 you could probably make a base Macan like 180k or something there!
You would think...but not really lol. I was playing around with the Macan EV Turbo configurator. Premium audio is standard, 18-ways are standard, dynamic swiveling LEDs are standard, The bigger turbo wheels are standard. There's a $1300 premium pack for heated/ventilated seats, $2500 for full nappa leather, $1k for innodrive, and like $500 for power sunblinds. That pretty much puts in on par with a loaded Lucid in terms of options for less than $10k. Of course you can pay a ton for embellishments, but the main stuff is not that expensive.

Let's try and keep this thread on the topic of range please

Love the music, Bobby.
Also that you gave us a moment to listen to the music and look out the window. Very meditative.

I noticed everyone's lifetime mi/kWh regresses to ~ 3.3 (absolute power, etc.)

it's so boring to be good all the time.

EPA is definitely achievable.
That is such a great video with lots of proof for those who don’t believe. I have to say being a Dream Performance owner…I know I don’t get that high but it’s enough for my travel needs.

That is such a great video with lots of proof for those who don’t believe. I have to say being a Dream Performance owner…I know I don’t get that high but it’s enough for my travel needs.
you can...set your ACC to 60 and cruise =)

if gas stations were are rare as charging stations, would everyone be complaining to the EPA about their MPG ?

Had a V12 R129 just before the Lucid, and noticed a full tank (of the highest octane) would get me just over 200 miles. I loved that car. Never bothered me that it was close to 8 miles / gallon.

I bought my Lucid with the range-happy wheels because RANGE (at a age when I have none).
As soon as the weather warmed up I got a set of " husband you are going too fast " wheels.

I don't know who I am in this car. I can drive it like a civilian no problem. Also, when you goose the car it transforms. The instant torque turns me to jelly but the handling .... it's just hard to believe ... you know how much mass is being flung but it's not like anything you expect.

It's the perfect transportation for multiple personality disorder.

pps: about a year and a half and I've started letting the wife drive
I didn't let on but had to smile to myself when she pulled out to pass and used some instant torque....yeah...she's been corrupted.
Never seen her do that ... ever.

Thanks for the video @Bobby. This was a couple of days ago. 19" touring without inserts. 75% highway going 65-70 at around 45°. Just radio playing. Best I've gotten so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
This was a couple of days ago. 19" touring without inserts. 75% highway going 65-70 at around 45°. Just radio playing. Best I've gotten so far.

Now that is literally eye popping! How?! I mean, I see what you wrote but I’m still incredulous that such a number can be attainable, while driving between 65 and 70.

Now that is literally eye popping! How?! I mean, I see what you wrote but I’m still incredulous that such a number can be attainable, while driving between 65 and 70.
Did a round trip from Piscataway to Newark on GSP mostly. Was probably closer to 65 but I was shocked as well :).

@Bobby - that is a great video with refreshing real talk indeed. Massive thanks for your taking the time to chronical the drive from AZ to CA to help inform, educate, and update the narrative around EV range in the Air.

I learned a lot myself and hope that others did too.

Cheers!

EPA is definitely achievable.
Excellent video! Wouldn’t expect anything less from Bobby 😊

A few statements-of-the obvious:

• One cannot take a simple “Drag Coefficient” (<0.2 for the Lucid Air) and assume everyday driving conditions are a laminar flow in line with the long axis of the car in a wind tunnel. Hence the debate about whether miles/kWh scales with the square or the cube is mostly academic.
  • Since the driver can’t change the temperature, wind speed, wind direction, or altitude, speed is the big modulator, perhaps the only modulator, as Bobby noted.
On a recent drive from Phoenix to Sausalito (AGT, see my other posting), I was cruising along I10 and I5 (going north) from Indio to Buttonwillow (~250 miles). I left Indio @ 80% SoC. Buttonwillow is my next charging spot. After climbing the mountains out of LA and towards Buttonwillow averaging 75+ mph, I found my SoC running below 7% when I was still ~20 miles or so outside of Buttonwillow. I slowed down to ~62 mph and made it to the Buttonwillow EA charger with less than 2% SoC. These numbers are consistent with what I reported in my posting and in line with Bobby’s observations.

Relatively speaking, the charging infrastructure along I10/I5 in CA is probably one of the best in the US. As such, I wasn’t panicking. Nevertheless, one needs to be “situational-aware”. Transcending elevations, wind, speed, and temperature, all come into play. Prepare to slow down when the energy consumption is more than you anticipated. Plan well and be alert!

Excellent video! Wouldn’t expect anything less from Bobby 😊

A few statements-of-the obvious:

• One cannot take a simple “Drag Coefficient” (<0.2 for the Lucid Air) and assume everyday driving conditions are a laminar flow in line with the long axis of the car in a wind tunnel. Hence the debate about whether miles/kWh scales with the square or the cube is mostly academic.
  • Since the driver can’t change the temperature, wind speed, wind direction, or altitude, speed is the big modulator, perhaps the only modulator, as Bobby noted.
On a recent drive from Phoenix to Sausalito (AGT, see my other posting), I was cruising along I10 and I5 (going north) from Indio to Buttonwillow (~250 miles). I left Indio @ 80% SoC. Buttonwillow is my next charging spot. After climbing the mountains out of LA and towards Buttonwillow averaging 75+ mph, I found my SoC running below 7% when I was still ~20 miles or so outside of Buttonwillow. I slowed down to ~62 mph and made it to the Buttonwillow EA charger with less than 2% SoC. These numbers are consistent with what I reported in my posting and in line with Bobby’s observations.

Relatively speaking, the charging infrastructure along I10/I5 in CA is probably one of the best in the US. As such, I wasn’t panicking. Nevertheless, one needs to be “situational-aware”. Transcending elevations, wind, speed, and temperature, all come into play. Prepare to slow down when the energy consumption is more than you anticipated. Plan well and be alert!

You are a brave soul! I was at the edge of my seat reading of your journey with <10% SoC! And to think of how anxious I get when I am on the road nearing 20% SoC! Is it obvious yet that I am a new EV driver?

You are a brave soul! I was at the edge of my seat reading of your journey with <10% SoC! And to think of how anxious I get when I am on the road nearing 20% SoC! Is it obvious yet that I am a new EV driver?
RE: "Brave Soul", it all depends on where you are and whether you know the area. I was on I5 in California near Bakersfield and I knew where the charging stations were. If I were in the middle of nowhere in Montana with less than 10% SoC and no idea where the next charger was, I'd be much more concerned! :)

Back