HVAC Vent settings not working

Tim-in-CA

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
I have found that even with the HVAC control set to forward (face) that the ventilation will come out of the windshield defrost vents instead. If I set the fan to 10, I can hear the defrost going madly, but front has barely any air. I have to cycle through all of the vent settings (windshield, face, feet) before I can get air to come out of the forward/face vents only. Is anyone else seeing this? Do you think that this is FW or a HW issue such as damper motor? I'm bringing in my vehicle for service for delivery issues and other items I found post delivery and wanted to bring it up to the service rep. I don't want it to be simply be dismissed as a "FW problem" that will be fixed if it is something that no-one else is seeing.

I have found that even with the HVAC control set to forward (face) that the ventilation will come out of the windshield defrost vents instead. If I set the fan to 10, I can hear the defrost going madly, but front has barely any air. I have to cycle through all of the vent settings (windshield, face, feet) before I can get air to come out of the forward/face vents only. Is anyone else seeing this? Do you think that this is FW or a HW issue such as damper motor? I'm bringing in my vehicle for service for delivery issues and other items I found post delivery and wanted to bring it up to the service rep. I don't want it to be simply be dismissed as a "FW problem" that will be fixed if it is something that no-one else is seeing.
That happens for me too, but not consistently which leads me to believe it's software controlled.

It will occasionally turn on the defrost heating when it is extremely hot in order to cool the cockpit panel, I believe, and then it will turn off / return to your preferred setting. That’s just a guess, but it’s only ever happened for me when the cockpit panel was raging hot.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll bring it up today when I bring the vehicle into the service center

Back