How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just drove to Vegas, 245 miles, 3.1 average, temp range from 73-101 degrees. DEP, 21" wheels, no wheel covers. 100-33% SOC

Just drove to Vegas, 245 miles, 3.1 average, temp range from 73-101 degrees. DEP, 21" wheels, no wheel covers. 100-33% SOC
Your model with 21” is 451mi range, (451-245)/451 = 45.6%, so 45.6%-33%=12.6% in AC and other usage, right?

Your model with 21” is 451mi range, (451-245)/451 = 45.6%, so 45.6%-33%=12.6% in AC and other usage, right?
Essentially, yea but you have to take off 5% right away for no aero covers lol. I was wondering while driving, anyone know how much power is consumed by the stereo system? The louder you listen the more power is consumed right?

I have been wondering the same thing. Some EV makers are reserving part of the battery to conserve battery life. I understand that but does that mean that we don't have to only charge to 80% most of the time because the remaining 20% is already accounted for? And if the maker reserves 10% (I believe that is what BMW is doing), does that mean we can normally charge to 90%?
The Jaguar I Pace does this. Manufacturer recommends to charge to 100%… There isn’t even a control in the car to limit that. They reserve the top 10 or so percent for battery life. I think it’s working, I have 36,000 miles on the car and my battery life and range is exactly the same as when I first got it. I plug it I every night regardless of what’s left. I treat it like my cell phone: charge fully every night.

The Jaguar I Pace does this. Manufacturer recommends to charge to 100%… There isn’t even a control in the car to limit that. They reserve the top 10 or so percent for battery life. I think it’s working, I have 36,000 miles on the car and my battery life and range is exactly the same as when I first got it. I plug it I every night regardless of what’s left. I treat it like my cell phone: charge fully every night.
Additional information: the I Pace maximum charge level is 83.7 kWh. The overall size of the battery pack is 90 kWh, so I guess it is holding back a bit less than 10%.

... I was wondering while driving, anyone know how much power is consumed by the stereo system? The louder you listen the more power is consumed right?
I refer you to my earlier wish list of power system meters...
If you can't measure it, you can't manage/fix/improve it...
That said, I doubt the sound ststem is significant compared to HVAC, BMS, and (of course) drive motors.

Ok. My first real test after a month is here! Right now, it’s been only short trips with a lot of vampire drain that zaps the range. I am charging from 41% to 80% overnight for a trip tomorrow.. The “since last charge” computer says I am only at 2.4 to 2.5 miles per kWh. My trip A computer says 3.2. EPA range on 19” wheels says 4.6. Let’s roll and see! Of course losing 3-4% in the morning due to vampire drain is going to hurt.

Now that I’ve switched to 19s I’m doing a bit better( no aero caps) averaging around 2.7kwh rather than 2.4kwh with the 21s, still less than I’d like but maybe I have a longer break in than most. I’m at 3900 miles now. From what I’ve read from previous posts I think the the inflection point where you start pushing air is about 65-70mph so if you are running scared on charge just run at that speed. Also if you are in a real bind tuck in behind a semi doing that speed. you don’t have to tailgate but 2-3 car lengths will get you a quite a bit more range by letting the truck carve a hole in the air if you are in the boondocks with no option to fast charge

I am one month into ownership and have 1200 miles on the 19 inch wheels. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage and am averaging 3.4. Definitely there is a difference if I just use the car on highway trips vs around town and locally. I've gotten 4.2 when doing just highway at 70 mph. Biggest detractor seems to be the vampire drain that I get after charging to 80 SOC. Usually lose 2-3% overnight.

Now that I’ve switched to 19s I’m doing a bit better( no aero caps) averaging around 2.7kwh rather than 2.4kwh with the 21s, still less than I’d like but maybe I have a longer break in than most. I’m at 3900 miles now. From what I’ve read from previous posts I think the the inflection point where you start pushing air is about 65-70mph so if you are running scared on charge just run at that speed. Also if you are in a real bind tuck in behind a semi doing that speed. you don’t have to tailgate but 2-3 car lengths will get you a quite a bit more range by letting the truck carve a hole in the air if you are in the boondocks with no option to fast charge
Yeah but running behind a semi will dramatically increase your odds of getting a rock chip on your car or even worse on your windshield. Semis throw rocks!!

Yeah but running behind a semi will dramatically increase your odds of getting a rock chip on your car or even worse on your windshield. Semis throw rocks!!
True but this is just for emergencies. Also choose a truck with full mudflaps. Hopefully one with the trucker girl silloutte

The problem, aside from rock chips, is that you are blind to what is happening in front of the truck.
A long long time ago I got caught in a blizzard white out driving across the pan Handle of Texas. I was afraid to pull off to the side of the road and stop and also afraid to go too slow. Thankfully I caught up with an 18 wheeler up ahead and I planted myself right immediately behind him. We were moving along at around 35-45 mph and I stuck with him for over two hours until we got to a small town where I could pull off the road safely.

A long long time ago I got caught in a blizzard white out driving across the pan Handle of Texas. I was afraid to pull off to the side of the road and stop and also afraid to go too slow. Thankfully I caught up with an 18 wheeler up ahead and I planted myself right immediately behind him. We were moving along at around 35-45 mph and I stuck with him for over two hours until we got to a small town where I could pull off the road safely.

As the saying goes: this is the exception that makes the rule!

Maybe have the Goal numbers in the first post in a table? (My point is more that most folks won't know what the goal numbers should be)

PercentageDE-P 19DE-R 21DE-P 21DE-R 19GT 19GT 21
I’m not getting anything close to this. I’d like to see a chart that shows impact of temperature, altitude and such to the published range.

I’m not getting anything close to this. I’d like to see a chart that shows impact of temperature, altitude and such to the published range.
Close to any of it or close to the top line? I think most of us are getting between 70-80% of this and that assumes a majority of it is driving at "gentler" speeds than you might want to. There's a lot of info in this thread and elsewhere on range. Speed, incline, regen use, wind, and temperature all have their impacts. Speed and incline seem to be big killers, but when your battery temp needs to be maintained at 93 degrees, on hot days, you'll see a lot of drain due to AC usage - whether you're using it for yourself or not.

BUT my experience, albeit not for full charge, has been that driving between 70-75 mph with ACC turned off on flat road can get pretty close to 1-to-1 range. I'll be even more interested to see how much closer I can get once the temp here is not 110.

What do you mean? What are you getting?

Hypermiling 101!

True but this is just for emergencies. Also choose a truck with full mudflaps. Hopefully one with the trucker girl silloutte
You know what.....my wife has a figure EXACTLY like that trucker girl (assuming we are talking the same naked pixie one), she was rockin it at 50!

It’s all about speed and elevation changes. I did a miserable test where I drove the speed limit, over 90 something miles I got 4.4 mi/kwh, that was at 89F outside with inside climate set to 68 auto mode and moderate elevation changes (nothing steep aside from on-Ramps). Speed was mostly 55-66 mph range, it feels wrong to drive the car that slow but I think on a relatively flat loop you’d hit 500 miles no problem, similar to InsideEVs test but he was going 70mph. So if you drive the speed limit your efficiency is like two Rivians.

Back