How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Service guy gave me a couple tips on the battery and efficiency today.

You should take the Lucid battery down to 20% before recharging and up to 80% for a few cycles. The Battery has some memory and by doing that a few times, you should see the efficiency improve.

Second, use either the fob or the mobile key but not both. For example, unlocking with one and locking with the other. That confuses the car. It is looking for the “key” you unlocked it with and is expecting the same key to lock it. When it is confused, it will stay powered up longer or turn on battery fans using power when you are just shopping.

As for the miles remaining, that is based on the EPA ratings. On a 19” GT, 100% should be 516. It does not adjust based on current efficiencies or real data.

Service guy gave me a couple tips on the battery and efficiency today.

You should take the Lucid battery down to 20% before recharging and up to 80% for a few cycles. The Battery has some memory and by doing that a few times, you should see the efficiency improve.

Second, use either the fob or the mobile key but not both. For example, unlocking with one and locking with the other. That confuses the car. It is looking for the “key” you unlocked it with and is expecting the same key to lock it. When it is confused, it will stay powered up longer or turn on battery fans using power when you are just shopping.

As for the miles remaining, that is based on the EPA ratings. On a 19” GT, 100% should be 516. It does not adjust based on current efficiencies or real data.

Interesting. My BMW 530e PHEV adjusts the range estimate on the battery based on weather, driving, etc. I imagine that this is a change that Lucid will make soon.

Update on my 3rd road trip:
GT 21in wheels, 5 passengers, frunk and trunk packed, 100degrees outside, AC at 74 all the way, most of the trip on cruise control between 70-80, mostly 75.
305mi until first EA charging station, made it with 12% battery, 49mi left, I was anxious because is the first trip completely packed but I am pleased with the results, average 3mi/kWh.
Roadtrip on way back, so this time I was a lot concerned toward the end of the trip, in my previous post from A-B was 300mi all packed and did ok comfortably. On the way back from B-A a few variables changed that I did not account for:
I started at B with 95% charge rather than 100%, didn’t want to wait for full charge, I thought since A-B I finished w 10%, I would be fine.
2.- Again 5 passengers w trunk and frunk w bags but about 75% of initial weight from A-B, so I thought would get better efficiency.
3.- I let another person drive at ACC 85 and said person is not familiar with regenerative driving so a lot of acceleration and braking at the beginning until they figured it out, sort of.
4.- A/C same at 74 but outside was cooler at 90-95. So again thought all ok.
5.- I think a biggie here, thinking from A-B made it w plenty of charge and forgetting I started this time w 95% not 100%, we turned on both massagers for full 20 min each. Didn’t do this from A-B.
6.- when we were 80miles from destination I notice that I only have 100mi left and anxiety kicks in, no chargers on sight until destination. Average mi/kwh was 2.8 instead of 3 on the way from A-B.
So here I turn A/C off, radio off, we are on a highway so no way to really slow down below 70mi/hr. 60mi from destnation and 50mi left on charge, interior lights turned off and navigation reroutes out of highway about 30mi from destination(w 42mi left) and into an exit w small roads. Made it to that exit, 15mi from destination with 20mi left of charge, I take over driving(didn’t want to stop on highway), on inner roads I can go 30-50mi/hr and use regen driving, made it home with 9mi left and 3%charge. Overall with last leg of driving 2.9mi/kwh.
Scary for me, lessons learned, start w 100%, no massage and better use a driver that knows how to conserve energy on long trips. A/C off definitely helped a lot but we were cooking ourselves inside. Didn’t lower windows on highway as I thought it would increase drag but I did once on inner roads.

Roadtrip on way back, so this time I was a lot concerned toward the end of the trip, in my previous post from A-B was 300mi all packed and did ok comfortably. On the way back from B-A a few variables changed that I did not account for:
I started at B with 95% charge rather than 100%, didn’t want to wait for full charge, I thought since A-B I finished w 10%, I would be fine.
2.- Again 5 passengers w trunk and frunk w bags but about 75% of initial weight from A-B, so I thought would get better efficiency.
3.- I let another person drive at ACC 85 and said person is not familiar with regenerative driving so a lot of acceleration and braking at the beginning until they figured it out, sort of.
5.- I think a biggie here, thinking from A-B made it w plenty of charge and forgetting I started this time w 95% not 100%, we turned on both massagers for full 20 min each. Didn’t do this from A-B.
6.- when we were 80miles from destination I notice that I only have 100mi left and anxiety kicks in, no chargers on sight until destination. Average mi/kwh was 2.8 instead of 3 on the way from A-B.
So here I turn A/C off, radio off, we are on a highway so no way to really slow down below 70mi/hr. 60mi from destnation and 50mi left on charge, interior lights turned off and navigation reroutes out of highway about 30mi from destination(w 42mi left) and into an exit w small roads. Made it to that exit, 15mi from destination with 20mi left of charge, I take over driving(didn’t want to stop on highway), on inner roads I can go 30-50mi/hr and use regen driving, made it home with 9mi left and 3%charge. Overall with last leg of driving 2.9mi/kwh.
Scary for me, lessons learned, start w 100%, no massage and better use a driver that knows how to conserve energy on long trips. A/C off definitely helped a lot but we were cooking ourselves inside. Didn’t lower windows on highway as I thought it would increase drag but I did once on inner roads.
Biggest thing next time would be to drive 75 instead of 85 and that would get you like another 5% of range

Biggest thing next time would be to drive 75 instead of 85 and that would get you like another 5% of range
We also did that once we realized we were cutting it close. From A-B was mostly 75mi/hr true.

Interesting. My BMW 530e PHEV adjusts the range estimate on the battery based on weather, driving, etc. I imagine that this is a change that Lucid will make soon.
Tesla never did. It always displays remaining miles based on Battery Capacity * Battery SOC * EPA efficiency.

What was your A & B? For me even from Houston to Dallas, on Tesla ModelX, I had to do 3~4 stops on 290 miles on full blown AC, 2 passengers with luggages.

What was your A & B? For me even from Houston to Dallas, on Tesla ModelX, I had to do 3~4 stops on 290 miles on full blown AC, 2 passengers with luggages.
A to B was 300 mi, B to A 288 as I took a different route.
Driving in Lousiana so mostly flat, my last 80mi on I-49, no usable chargers on site.
The drive involved mostly I-49 and I-10.

A to B was 300 mi, B to A 288 as I took a different route.
Driving in Lousiana so mostly flat, my last 80mi on I-49, no usable chargers on site.
The drive involved mostly I-49 and I-10.
This was too close of a call. Maybe somewhere along the route quick juice up 10~20% to avoid anxiety in the future?

This was too close of a call. Maybe somewhere along the route quick juice up 10~20% to avoid anxiety in the future?
I agree too close, if you drive conservatively you can get 300+mi out of the GT21 without much problem, but if the plan is to floor it then 280 is more like it. I guess I should point out it still got me home w 9mi to spare 😂. Btw it took 17+hrs to charge back from 3 to 80% at home w 240v plug.

There is no such thing as a quick 10-20% if you are in an area without Level 3 chargers. I’ve plugged into quite a few level 2 that are 6kW. With parasitic draw while charging it that’s 2 hours 10 minutes for 10%. I’m quite comfortable that I can get 350 miles if starting at 100%. With AC and 85mph. That’s in DE with 118kWh battery.

I really think both %charge and miles remaining are obfuscation. For miles per kWh to be useful you need to know how many kWh you have. Talking charging in miles per hour is bs. Charging is in kWh, efficiency is miles per kWh. Keep everything in the same units.

That sounds more realistic. I am surprised they were driving with AC at 74. We went out on a 90 mile one way trip at 4PM AC set at 60 and Fan at 10 and it was hot and uncomfortable for the first 30 minutes. My AVG both ways was 2.3. I drove like I would drive in any other car on Texas highways 85-95 whenever possible to drive at the speed of traffic. Better than the 1.0 I was seeing the first 300 miles of local driving and may times sitting in the car while the wife went into the grocery store.

Also drove the car today with a friend to show him the car. Took it all the way to 120MPH and never felt out of control or lack of power. It sure gets to 100 in no time and the friend was impressed. He owns a BMW M5 Competition Edition with additional modifications to Engine timing and exhaust.

In my opinion if you have to drive this car at 75 or less without using any of the other functions or sweating in the heat then might as well buy something else.

Sure hope my issues are resolved soon.

I'm perplexed. My charging number data does not make sense AT ALL with the reported car efficiency numbers. I'm getting about a 22% error with the calculations. Based on car display numbers, it would indicate that the battery size is only 91-92 kWh. If that were the case both the car and my numbers would agree.

Is it possible that Lucid is software limiting the battery usage to only ~80% of the 112 kWh for the first 2500 or so miles?

That would make the observed range agree with the reported efficiency. The battery people are supposed to talk to me tomorrow since I have a lot of questions about what is going on. It is either that, or the software has a big bug in it or I have some major error in my calculations.

I'm perplexed. My charging number data does not make sense AT ALL with the reported car efficiency numbers. I'm getting about a 22% error with the calculations. Based on car display numbers, it would indicate that the battery size is only 91-92 kWh. If that were the case both the car and my numbers would agree.

Is it possible that Lucid is software limiting the battery usage to only ~80% of the 112 kWh for the first 2500 or so miles?

That would make the observed range agree with the reported efficiency. The battery people are supposed to talk to me tomorrow since I have a lot of questions about what is going on. It is either that, or the software has a big bug in it or I have some major error in my calculations.
I look forward to hear from you regarding what you discover with the Lucid folks. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to hear from you regarding what you discover with the Lucid folks. Thanks for sharing.
I have 4800 miles on the car, not having noticed any difference. And yes I drive at 74 degrees, the car will never cool to 60 with 100 degrees outside, imo, and I dont really need to be cold in the car just comfortable. So 73-74 is fine to me. When I have a fast charging station every 5miles like there are gas stations then I will drive wo effciency for long trips. For city driving, heck yes, bring it on also short distance driving but when you live in the southeast with a fast charger every 200mi, you better conserve.

That sounds more realistic. I am surprised they were driving with AC at 74. We went out on a 90 mile one way trip at 4PM AC set at 60 and Fan at 10 and it was hot and uncomfortable for the first 30 minutes. My AVG both ways was 2.3. I drove like I would drive in any other car on Texas highways 85-95 whenever possible to drive at the speed of traffic. Better than the 1.0 I was seeing the first 300 miles of local driving and may times sitting in the car while the wife went into the grocery store.

Also drove the car today with a friend to show him the car. Took it all the way to 120MPH and never felt out of control or lack of power. It sure gets to 100 in no time and the friend was impressed. He owns a BMW M5 Competition Edition with additional modifications to Engine timing and exhaust.

In my opinion if you have to drive this car at 75 or less without using any of the other functions or sweating in the heat then might as well buy something else.

Sure hope my issues are resolved soon.
From 60mph to 120mph, this is a beasty car, other standard sports cars or luxury cars are just steady climb on harder pedal press. This car is almost instantaneous like 3~5 sec. I don’t dare to count it on stop watch. But it’s fastest vehicle I ever experience after 60mph. And unlike other cars’ 110mph feel like floating, this car is still gripping road tightly, just frigging awesomeness!!!

I trained myself to use that 45 min cabin temperature maintain button when I park to eat in restaurant. When I come out, even though gauge says 106F, it is still comfortable getting in. With heat like Houston, free EA electricity fast charge, who cares if it goes below 3.0 miles/kWH in this heat. Even if electrician finally make his round to get my 240V installation to charge at home, the fuel cost is still merely fraction of low Houston gas price.

I learned not to trust EPA. My 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EPA was 20city/21hwy, but I only got 13.5city/15.5hwy when first got it. It took more than 10k+ miles ownership for me to get to 16city/18hwy. I had suspicion if EPA had use neutral gear occasionally to hit that number. But most likely bc I don’t pedal like 75 years old and I blow AC hard so I had never reached close to EPA. Lesson for me, just enjoy the car, we are not getting younger. Unless you are going on a long trip to plan charging stops, this range is sufficient daily not to be bothered to be charged frequently. And who is really driving 450~500 miles daily? Truck driver?

Back