How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It should get better once the weather warms. But you are right, the Lucid will give you the most range for the conditions than any EV out there. If it does not meet your needs, there is no EV that will

It should get better once the weather warms. But you are right, the Lucid will give you the most range for the conditions than any EV out there. If it does not meet your needs, there is no EV that will
I think a Lucid Air GT definitely will, but not sure yet if a Touring or Pure will in the winter months over a refresh Model S LR with 19’s on it, since a Model S has a heat pump. But, I could be wrong, since I don’t own a Touring or Pure yet, but definitely something I want to know. 🙂

Curious how much total range you are estimating you are getting in the Winter months? That is huge for me too. Thanks!
When I said 'my range estimate' I was referring to the estimate on the dash. I think that's based on the EPA range which is not realistic. At 2.6 mi/kwh, I'm at a little above half of that. I had been averaging 3.2 mi/kwh for the first 700 miles. So I was hoping to get at least that. But the weather and having to use the cabin heat killed the efficiency and therefore range. So, going forward, I'm going to have to plan on only getting 50% of the dashboard range estimate which means a shitload of charging stops on trips like this.

When I said 'my range estimate' I was referring to the estimate on the dash. I think that's based on the EPA range which is not realistic. At 2.6 mi/kwh, I'm at a little above half of that. I had been averaging 3.2 mi/kwh for the first 700 miles. So I was hoping to get at least that. But the weather and having to use the cabin heat killed the efficiency and therefore range. So, going forward, I'm going to have to plan on only getting 50% of the dashboard range estimate which means a shitload of charging stops on trips like this.
At what speeds do you normally drive? And at what temperature are you seeing range drop to 50%? 50% of stated range is unheard of unless you are driving 85+ with temps in single digit F or negative.

I use 3 mi/kwh for planning purposes. For my Dream that means roughly a maximum of around 350 miles but to be safe I assume 300 miles. Doesn't sound like a lot but that is over 4 hours of freeway driving which is more than I like without a rest stop anyway and assuming I can find a decent EA charging station I can add 200 miles fairly quickly.

I use 3 mi/kwh for planning purposes. For my Dream that means roughly a maximum of around 350 miles but to be safe I assume 300 miles. Doesn't sound like a lot but that is over 4 hours of freeway driving which is more than I like without a rest stop anyway and assuming I can find a decent EA charging station I can add 200 miles fairly quickly.
The real issue is slightly compounded. If we actually charge for 500 miles and get only 300, electricity charging cost then is higher than gas in many states. That begins to erode some of the benefits of EV value proposition along-witb creating a range anxiety or a hassle of charging and waiting. Why shouldn’t someone then just go and buy a Merc S class? Less price than GT, more comfortable and luxurious, though driving dynamics may not be the same. Ultimately, EVs need to be more efficient in delivering the stated range.

At what speeds do you normally drive? And at what temperature are you seeing range drop to 50%? 50% of stated range is unheard of unless you are driving 85+ with temps in single digit F or negative.
Normally between 75-80 but I set ACC at 73 today to improve range. And I haven't had the car long enough to determine a temp threshold. But today it was about 26°

The real issue is slightly compounded. If we actually charge for 500 miles and get only 300, electricity charging cost then is higher than gas in many states. That begins to erode some of the benefits of EV value proposition along-witb creating a range anxiety or a hassle of charging and waiting. Why shouldn’t someone then just go and buy a Merc S class? Less price than GT, more comfortable and luxurious, though driving dynamics may not be the same. Ultimately, EVs need to be more efficient in delivering the stated range.

The EPA rating for the Lucid Air Dream is 111 MPG-e. Thus, even if you get only 3/5 of the rated range, you're still getting the equivalent of almost 67 MPG-e. And that's still roughly triple the mileage equivalent of large ICE sedans.

It is mathematically possible that electricity could get so expensive and gasoline so cheap that the actual costs could reach parity . . . but that's a pretty far-fetched scenario end not a bet I'd take in buying an ICE car for driving economy.

Normally between 75-80 but I set ACC at 73 today to improve range. And I haven't had the car long enough to determine a temp threshold. But today it was about 26°
You may still be in the first 2k Mile threshold that others have talked about and may see a bump to at least 60% in similar conditions. This is what I have realized owning an EV- expect about 60% of stated range in winter for cars like Tesla or even Lucid that have a different EPA test than others. I sometimes wonder if EQS or GV60 would give higher % of stated range than Lucid/Tesla. In that case, the real world range difference may not be as high across EVs.

You may still be in the first 2k Mile threshold that others have talked about and may see a bump to at least 60% in similar conditions. This is what I have realized owning an EV- expect about 60% of stated range in winter for cars like Tesla or even Lucid that have a different EPA test than others. I sometimes wonder if EQS or GV60 would give higher % of stated range than Lucid/Tesla. In that case, the real world range difference may not be as high across EVs.

I think it all boils down to this - any EV, no matter what price and no matter how big the battery, will give you a solid 200 miles in cold weather. Further, charging times are going to be twice as long as you thought.

This sucks. But that’s it. Plan accordingly.

I'm Driving on 21" I don't expect to get 4.5 mi/kWh but I also don't feel 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh is acceptable driving 70 mph with the cruise on for 200 miles.
I have driven 1500 miles in the last 5 days and have averaged 2.8 mi/kWh 95% highway.

This youtuber got the stated range on a 500 mile trip please watch.

Lots of variables when you drive I will agree with that I'm getting nearly 1/2 the stated range with conservative driving . With that said I have owned a Tesla and have NEVER gotten 1/2 the stated range in summer driving conditions and I have done multi cross country Trips in a Tesla.
What do you have in the car, luggage, people, everything you do affects the range. the spare tie is 50 lbs. it cost to carry it around. the ac running will cost range.

I bought this expensive EV because it’s a great do-it-all with excellent NVH, interior space, and dynamics. I never cared about fuel cost - gasoline before and electrons now. It helps that I very rarely do road trips long enough to be anxious about range and always charge at home.

What do you have in the car, luggage, people, everything you do affects the range. the spare tie is 50 lbs. it cost to carry it around. the ac running will cost range.
It's just me and my overnight bag. Nobody else and no spare tire. I'm aware of the things that cause inefficiency, but I don't know if the inefficiency that I'm experiencing is beyond the normal expectations.

It's just me and my overnight bag. Nobody else and no spare tire. I'm aware of the things that cause inefficiency, but I don't know if the inefficiency that I'm experiencing is beyond the normal expectations.
I’m sure you’ve said this elsewhere, but are you a touring, gt or pure? Also, your wheel size?

I’m sure you’ve said this elsewhere, but are you a touring, gt or pure? Also, your wheel size?
My lifetime efficiency is 3.0m/kWh in a GT with 21” wheels. I drive too fast and accelerate too hard. Too bad!

I recently did a video where I take a 300 mile road trip and limit myself to 70mph max. No other special measures. My average for that trip was 3.6m/kWh. I’m doing that road trip again this week and I’ll see how I do.

3.6m/kWh = 403m range
3.0m/kWh = 336m range
To get EPA (469m) will need 4.2m/kWh

My lifetime efficiency is 3.0m/kWh in a GT with 21” wheels. I drive too fast and accelerate too hard. Too bad!

I recently did a video where I take a 300 mile road trip and limit myself to 70mph max. No other special measures. My average for that trip was 3.6m/kWh. I’m doing that road trip again this week and I’ll see how I do.

3.6m/kWh = 403m range
3.0m/kWh = 336m range
To get EPA (469m) will need 4.2m/kWh

I think 3.0 lifetime for how you drive is terrific honestly. And getting 3.6 @ 70 mph is amazing. I know it’s tough for a people to drive this car slow, and you shouldn’t worry about it unless you’re road tripping and want to charge less. I’ve done a 480 mile trip without charging in my GT on 19” including an 8k foot elevation gain, I just drove between 65-70 the entire way. I held a lifetime average of 4.2 until this brutal winter hit nor cal and now I sit at 4.0.
But as we’ve all said and know, speed is your biggest range destroyer, and it gets compounded on larger wheel sizes due to increased rolling resistance.
It sucks when I see people getting 2.6, but we are also in a pretty tough winter and most of the time it’s not worth only the heat seater and steering wheel to increase range, you need to be comfortable.
I also don’t know the drive @Halodde did, elevation, head wind, etc.
But from personal experience, I can achieve and likely even exceed the 516 my car is rated for under the right conditions, and im going to attempt it in the summer/fall months.

The EPA rating for the Lucid Air Dream is 111 MPG-e. Thus, even if you get only 3/5 of the rated range, you're still getting the equivalent of almost 67 MPG-e. And that's still roughly triple the mileage equivalent of large ICE sedans.

It is mathematically possible that electricity could get so expensive and gasoline so cheap that the actual costs could reach parity . . . but that's a pretty far-fetched scenario end not a bet I'd take in buying an ICE car for driving economy.
That's not correct for Colder regions like Boston/NY/NH/Maine. e.g. My electricity bill is 35c/KWH including Transmission and Generation charges, yes Eversource rates are bad. 8KWH consumption charges my Tesla Model S for 26 Mile range. so $2.80 for 26 miles. If I get only 65% of the stated range, true cost for 26 miles is $2.80/0.65 = $4.30, that's the cost of premium Gas here. and I can expect about 26 mile range for an ICE with one gallon of gas. So you see, stated MPGE is only as good as range we can actually get. Again, this does not mean we all go and buy ICE cars. However, EV cars need to eventually do better for delivering stated range and/or preventing vampire drain/wasted range. I fully agree with everyone that Lucid will provide the highest possible range unless EQS/GV60 or other cars actually deliver what the stated range is in most conditions; tesla for sure doesn't.

I think 3.0 lifetime for how you drive is terrific honestly. And getting 3.6 @ 70 mph is amazing. I know it’s tough for a people to drive this car slow, and you shouldn’t worry about it unless you’re road tripping and want to charge less. I’ve done a 480 mile trip without charging in my GT on 19” including an 8k foot elevation gain, I just drove between 65-70 the entire way. I held a lifetime average of 4.2 until this brutal winter hit nor cal and now I sit at 4.0.
But as we’ve all said and know, speed is your biggest range destroyer, and it gets compounded on larger wheel sizes due to increased rolling resistance.
It sucks when I see people getting 2.6, but we are also in a pretty tough winter and most of the time it’s not worth only the heat seater and steering wheel to increase range, you need to be comfortable.
But from personal experience, I can achieve and likely even exceed the 516 my car is rated for under the right conditions, and im going to attempt it in the summer/fall months.

Yes! Please get back to us about your summer/fall driving. I’ve resigned myself to NEVER seeing 516 miles in my Air GT on 19” wheels. Mainly because I can’t see myself being disciplined enough to drive 65 mph mile after mile, after mile. I just don’t think I could do it and not get rear ended.

I don't know how people are getting only 2.6. Even when I drive completely stupid fast, I get 2.9 at worst. On snow tires. And it's been a pretty brutal winter here.

There may be an occasional city errand run where I'm only doing 2.6 for a brief time. But I never pay much attention to the Since Charged report when I've only driven 10 miles or so. Not enough data to be conclusive.

My average over the last 1,000 miles has never dropped below 3.0.

3.2-3.5 here, Touring, 19s. Not many elevation changes, cool but not subzero weather, and I drive in a less efficient manner than I did with my ICE car. Tire pressures 49 psi as recommended by Lucid.

Back