How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know how people are getting only 2.6. Even when I drive completely stupid fast, I get 2.9 at worst. On snow tires. And it's been a pretty brutal winter here.

There may be an occasional city errand run where I'm only doing 2.6 for a brief time. But I never pay much attention to the Since Charged report when I've only driven 10 miles or so. Not enough data to be conclusive.

My average over the last 1,000 miles has never dropped below 3.0.

Over the last 2 months I am exactly at 2.6 m/kWh. We had at least 20 nights below zero , with a few as low as minus 30. These kinds of temperatures dramatically destroy range. That being said, most of my trips are shorter stints, but even slightly longer trips in very cold temps can yield below 3m/kWh, in my experience anyway. But even with that low m/kWh I can still pull about 290 miles in the GT , which is nothing to scoff at.

For the first couple months of ownership I averaged around 3.8 m/kWh , so I am confident I will achieve that again soon and I just cannot wait for warmer times to have more fun with the car.

I don't know how people are getting only 2.6. Even when I drive completely stupid fast, I get 2.9 at worst. On snow tires. And it's been a pretty brutal winter here.

I would never have believed these people either, had I not experienced it myself.

Driving my 140 miles from home to work one early morning, I averaged 1.9. No joke, truly staggering, bewildering and mystifying.

For context - Air Grand Touring sitting on 19” all seasons. Cruise control set at 80 mph, but driving as fast as I could, whenever I could, which was often since it was still dark and very early in the morning. And I was running a little late. Rain, wet freeway surfaces, winds gusting up to 20 mph, outside air temperature at about 41 degrees F. It was one of those early mornings a few weeks ago when TV weathermen were forecasting snow around the HOLLYWOOD sign up in LA.

I don’t know if the snow around the HOLLYWOOD sign actually happened, but it was a cold, wet, windy and rainy drive. And I consumed more of my battery than I ever thought I would over a 140 miles in mild and temperate Southern California. 43% used. I ran down my battery from 90% to 47%.

My driving well north of 75 mph most of the time, and the rain and cold, were the primary contributors to my poor efficiency. I realise that now.

My lifetime efficiency is 3.0m/kWh in a GT with 21” wheels. I drive too fast and accelerate too hard. Too bad!

I recently did a video where I take a 300 mile road trip and limit myself to 70mph max. No other special measures. My average for that trip was 3.6m/kWh. I’m doing that road trip again this week and I’ll see how I do.

3.6m/kWh = 403m range
3.0m/kWh = 336m range
To get EPA (469m) will need 4.2m/kWh

Can’t believe you actually bring personal shower head with you on the trip. 🤔

Yes, absolutely agree, speed is the biggest factor of killing those electrons.

I fully agree with everyone that Lucid will provide the highest possible range unless EQS/GV60 or other cars actually deliver what the stated range is in most conditions; tesla for sure doesn't.
I think Tesla and Lucid are harder to get their stated EPA where as personally for Rivian I passed their stated EPA a couple times in warmer weather. But for sure no other EV drives more comfortable than Air. It is extremely difficult to be disciplined with Air. My AGT 21” has 7400 miles at lifetime 3.0mi/kWh. I think I may get to 3.2mi/kWh if I don’t do those 2.6mi/kWh joy rides. Personally, I think the sweet spot of EPA is at 45 ~ 60 mph. If I drive like that, I might as well drive a Prius.

Guys, just enjoy your Air, step on accelerator, don’t give a crap about EPA! If you have range anxiety, just plan charging station ahead.

I would never have believed these people either, had I not experienced it myself.

Driving my 140 miles from home to work one early morning, I averaged 1.9. No joke, truly staggering, bewildering and mystifying.

For context - Air Grand Touring sitting on 19” all seasons. Cruise control set at 80 mph, but driving as fast as I could, whenever I could, which was often since it was still dark and very early in the morning. And I was running a little late. Rain, wet freeway surfaces, winds gusting up to 20 mph, outside air temperature at about 41 degrees F. It was one of those early mornings a few weeks ago when TV weathermen were forecasting snow around the HOLLYWOOD sign up in LA.

I don’t know if the snow around the HOLLYWOOD sign actually happened, but it was a cold, wet, windy and rainy drive. And I consumed more of my battery than I ever thought I would over a 140 miles in mild and temperate Southern California. 43% used. I ran down my battery from 90% to 47%.

My driving well north of 75 mph most of the time, and the rain and cold, were the primary contributors to my poor efficiency. I realise that now.

Had to correct some numbers. I ran my battery from 90% to 36%, driving 140 miles. That’s 54% of my battery used.

Attachments

• F0546AB8-99D8-4867-A419-A9E682A7C6CF.jpeg
    F0546AB8-99D8-4867-A419-A9E682A7C6CF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
Can’t believe you actually bring personal shower head with you on the trip. 🤔

That’s not all he brings, he tells us later.

I don’t bring my own shower head but I do bring my own adjustable spanner, to remove the shower heads so I can destroy the water flow restrictor inside. Allegedly.

That’s not all he brings, he tells us later.

I don’t bring my own shower head but I do bring my own adjustable spanner, to remove the shower heads so I can destroy the water flow restrictor inside. Allegedly.
I guess that explains where Bobby went when he escaped from my trunk :) :) (If you're confused, check out my earlier post, can't remember what thread, where I confirmed my desire to keep Bobby in my trunk to help me navigate the learning curve on a Lucid). :)

Had to correct some numbers. I ran my battery from 90% to 36%, driving 140 miles. That’s 54% of my battery used.
Your experience is similar to mine. I had severe range loss (about twice what was expected) at highway speeds (in my case, mostly 77MPH) in modestly-cold weather (over 45F). I asked over four weeks ago for Lucid Engineering to investigate the sudden and extreme range loss, and I have yet to hear back.

Since it seems to happen a lot, I have a theory: there is an engineering mistake somewhere in the heating of the battery. Either the BMS system is being overly aggressive in attempting to maintain optimal temperatures, or they made a design mistake in the insulation for the battery. If they can't or don't adequately heat the battery, we lose range as the battery drops below optimal temperature.

If their data logging is any good, they should be able to compute where that energy (or range estimate) is going. In any case, they should tell us what is going on rather than have every owner discover this on their own and freak out.

Your experience is similar to mine. I had severe range loss (about twice what was expected) at highway speeds (in my case, mostly 77MPH) in modestly-cold weather (over 45F). I asked over four weeks ago for Lucid Engineering to investigate the sudden and extreme range loss, and I have yet to hear back.

Since it seems to happen a lot, I have a theory: there is an engineering mistake somewhere in the heating of the battery. Either the BMS system is being overly aggressive in attempting to maintain optimal temperatures, or they made a design mistake in the insulation for the battery. If they can't or don't adequately heat the battery, we lose range as the battery drops below optimal temperature.

If their data logging is any good, they should be able to compute where that energy (or range estimate) is going. In any case, they should tell us what is going on rather than have every owner discover this on their own and freak out.

Your theory springs from a skill set well above my pay grade. I’m intrigued and fascinated by it. If you’re theory is borne out by more data, and Lucid fesses up, would they then send out a software update to recalibrate the BMS, and/or would they retrofit our battery packs with additional insulation?…just musing…

My lifetime efficiency is 3.0m/kWh in a GT with 21” wheels. I drive too fast and accelerate too hard. Too bad!

👍 That is my attitude. I drive my car to enjoy it while going from point A to point B, etc. Yeah, I could toddle along behind some slow car or I could get in the left lane and pass him. Did I gain a lot...probably not on a short trip. But toddling along at 25 mph when there is a clear opening to a lane where the traffic is moving at 45 mph is so painful I would need to take Aleve.

We buy cars like the Lucid to enjoy them. Otherwise, there are lots of Bolts and Leafs out there to simply get us from A to B.

Range matters less in this car than other EVs, so I don’t see much reason for disappointment or dissatisfaction. If you drive like EPA you will get EPA, if you don’t, you will not. This car can be fantastically efficient in optimum conditions, and have poor efficiency in bad conditions, which is offset by the large battery pack at least in those conditions. I’m satisfied in either scenario.
Well guys, I've had her for only 11 days. I just reset Trip 1, hadn't played with this feature at all until today coming back home from Windsor, CO. mainly 2 lane country roads. Not many miles, 16.2 and did drive like an old man. Here comes the big figures... 3kW and 5.6 mi/kWh, This should give all something to shoot for when you want to keep your foot out of the firewall. AT, 19 in. range no inserts.

Just so that everyone is aware... both EV and hybrid vehicles have better mileage in the city than on highways because of their regenerative brake system. It's different with ICE.

Just so that everyone is aware... both EV and hybrid vehicles have better mileage in the city than on highways because of their regenerative brake system. It's different with ICE.
Lucid does better on highway because of the power it takes to get this heavy car moving in constant stop/go city driving which isn’t offset completely by regen. I feel like if you just drive the car and watch the power meter and try to use less power by accelerating slowly you’ll have great efficiency.

Lucid does better on highway because of the power it takes to get this heavy car moving in constant stop/go city driving which isn’t offset completely by regen. I feel like if you just drive the car and watch the power meter and try to use less power by accelerating slowly you’ll have great efficiency.
Oh.. gotcha. you are probably right on it... I'm expecting a delivery this coming week! I will see what you mean by lucid doing better on highways then! excited!

Oh.. gotcha. you are probably right on it... I'm expecting a delivery this coming week! I will see what you mean by lucid doing better on highways then! excited!
I find the happy place for Lucid if range is the primary goal is around 65-70mph.

I find the happy place for Lucid if range is the primary goal is around 65-70mph.
Well Bobby, that is pretty reasonable. I do like to get into her some from green lights and on ramps etc. but settling in at 65 to 70 is fine with me.

Well Bobby, that is pretty reasonable. I do like to get into her some from green lights and on ramps etc. but settling in at 65 to 70 is fine with me.
If you don’t decelerate and accelerate much, and willing try to be annoying turtle on hwy, try 55~65 mph. I’ve achieved 3.9mi/kWh on 21” in Driving miss Daisy style.

If you don’t decelerate and accelerate much, and willing try to be annoying turtle on hwy, try 55~65 mph. I’ve achieved 3.9mi/kWh on 21” in Driving miss Daisy style.
I'd be afraid to do that in Arizona and you are from Texas. My suggestion would be to upgrade your life insurance before trying it.

Back