How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Heating chews up a lot, unless it’s extremely cold, try using only the steering wheel and seat heaters to get better efficiency. If you’re seeing a lot of vampire drain that is not after a DCFC session, make sure your keys are either in a faraday pouch or far from the car, if you have a mobile key setup, make sure the phone is far away or turn off Bluetooth when near the car. Regen set to high, light acceleration off the line, drive in smooth mode and keep top end speed between 65-75. 2.5 is low, but idk how you drive, and we have established that 21” offer a pretty big range hit especially under higher speeds. Also, if you haven’t exceeded to 2500 mile “break-in” threshold, improvement is coming after the motors loosen up.
It does seem like the Lucid has a wider operating range than my Tesla Model X. Meaning, my Model X range would start dropping when the outside temp was below 50 or 55 even. It would drop dramatically below 40 and again below freezing.

It hasn't really gotten that cold here yet for me to test below 40 temps. But on the occasions it's been below 50, the Lucid with heating seems to drop less than my Model X did. Not sure if others have noticed the same.

I'm only 2,300 miles into it so can't say this for sure. We'll see in the coming months.

I assume that's with the 19" wheels, which should be an effective range of just over 400 miles on a full charge (depending on how many kwh's you can pull from your battery - mine could pull 109 kwh when it had similar mileage as yours). Overall, your results seem fairly similar to mine.
Yes. I have the 19" wheels.
I'm sure I could get better mileage, if I drove conservatively and used the AC less, but I'm happy with this average.

On a recent trip from South Carolina to Virginia I had 3.0-3.1 m/kwh GT 21”. I would say about 75%.

Did my range tests again after the 'break in' period. Car currently at 2,500 miles on the odometer. Same stretch of road and temps still in the 60-70 degree range. First number is what I was getting at 500 miles. 2nd number is what I'm getting now. I'm now using Highway Assist while before, I was using ACC. So driving style should not matter. AC at 72 degrees.

at 500 mi at 2,500 mi

80mph - 3.1 mi/kwh 3.2 mi/kwh
75mph - 3.5 mi/kwh 3.7 mi/kwh
70mph - 3.7 mi/kwh 4.1 mi/kwh
65mph - 3.9 mi/kwh 4.2 mi/kwh
60mph - 4.4 mi/kwh

Can't repeat the 60mph as that's just too slow to be driving this car!

As I mentioned in a post last week, my overall average is up about 0.3 mi/kwh so this is consistent with that improvement. Don't know if it's the loosening of the motors or the tires breaking in or what. But definitely a mechanical improvement. Combine that with my learning how to drive the car, and I can squeeze out 0.4-0.5 mi/kwh of additional range.

I will repeat. The single biggest factor you can improve is single pedal driving and not using the brake. For today's test, I did 10 miles at 80mph on the interstate. As noted above, it was showing 3.1 when I turned off HA to exit. I just let the regen do its thing without hitting the brake as I slowed down off the interstate. 1.5 miles later, as I pulled into school drop-off, it showed 3.5 mi/kwh. That 1.5 miles of riding the regen was enough to pull the average for the entire 11.5 mile trip up to 3.5!

There is a lot of energy recovery coming down from 80mph and you're slowing down to a stop. Make sure you let the car get it all back.

Did my range tests again after the 'break in' period. Car currently at 2,500 miles on the odometer. Same stretch of road and temps still in the 60-70 degree range. First number is what I was getting at 500 miles. 2nd number is what I'm getting now. I'm now using Highway Assist while before, I was using ACC. So driving style should not matter. AC at 72 degrees.

at 500 mi at 2,500 mi

60mph - 4.4 mi/kwh

As I mentioned in a post last week, my overall average is up about 0.3 mi/kwh so this is consistent with that improvement. Don't know if it's the loosening of the motors or the tires breaking in or what. But definitely a mechanical improvement. Combine that with my learning how to drive the car, and I can squeeze out 0.4-0.5 mi/kwh of additional range.

I will repeat. The single biggest factor you can improve is single pedal driving and not using the brake. For today's test, I did 10 miles at 80mph on the interstate. As noted above, it was showing 3.1 when I turned off HA to exit. I just let the regen do its thing without hitting the brake as I slowed down off the interstate. 1.5 miles later, as I pulled into school drop-off, it showed 3.5 mi/kwh. That 1.5 miles of riding the regen was enough to pull the average for the entire 11.5 mile trip up to 3.5!

There is a lot of energy recovery coming down from 80mph and you're slowing down to a stop. Make sure you let the car get it all back.
Good summary and very helpful information!

It does seem like the Lucid has a wider operating range than my Tesla Model X. Meaning, my Model X range would start dropping when the outside temp was below 50 or 55 even. It would drop dramatically below 40 and again below freezing.

It hasn't really gotten that cold here yet for me to test below 40 temps. But on the occasions it's been below 50, the Lucid with heating seems to drop less than my Model X did. Not sure if others have noticed the same.

I'm only 2,300 miles into it so can't say this for sure. We'll see in the coming months.
Is the Model X heavier and less aerodynamic than the Lucid GT?

at 500 mi at 2,500 mi

60mph - 4.4 mi/kwh

I am so envious of your results. Before the cold snap we are now having (lows in the mid 30's, highes in the 40's, just like our dead of winter months up here in Western Washington), I was getting similar numbers. Right now, it is hard to get my numbers into the 3s. We will be leaving next week for our trip over the Rockies to Denver. It will be interesting to see what range of efficency we are able to achieve with the cold and the mountains.

I am so envious of your results. Before the cold snap we are now having (lows in the mid 30's, highes in the 40's, just like our dead of winter months up here in Western Washington), I was getting similar numbers. Right now, it is hard to get my numbers into the 3s. We will be leaving next week for our trip over the Rockies to Denver. It will be interesting to see what range of efficency we are able to achieve with the cold and the mountains.
Nice living in a moderate climate.

I am looking forward to testing it in cold weather. My 230 mile range model X dropped below 100 miles of actual distance on a freezing trip once. That was bad. So I’m very curious to see how Lucid does in cold. From your experience, looks like it’s going to be quite a drop but we’ll see.

I’m also very interested in your results in the mountains.

Is the Model X heavier and less aerodynamic than the Lucid GT?
Weight is about the same. Model X is an SUV. So sits much higher than the Lucid and yes, much less aerodynamic.

Penalties on EV’s are more exaggerated than on ICE cars because of their efficiency. So extra weight, aerodynamics, bigger wheels, higher speed, harder accelerations, etc. They all affect EV’s more. Which makes sense bc EV’s are ant least twice as efficient.

It can be a little counter intuitive bc the assumption is efficient is better. But it works in reverse also. When something is running at peak efficiency, anything that knocks that rhythm off has a more pronounced negative effect.

Think of it as two grocery clerks stocking shelves. If one is doing 120 items and hour and the other is only doing 60 an hour, stopping and chatting with the faster guy for 10 minutes means 20 less items stocked. Whereas chit chatting with the 2nd person means you only lose 10 items of productivity over that same period.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Nice living in a moderate climate.

I am looking forward to testing it in cold weather. My 230 mile range model X dropped below 100 miles of actual distance on a freezing trip once. That was bad. So I’m very curious to see how Lucid does in cold. From your experience, looks like it’s going to be quite a drop but we’ll see.

I’m also very interested in your results in the mountains.
I just did a little test to see what impact running the heater has on its range. While the car was sitting in my garage with an external temperature registering 56 degrees, I turned on the remote climate and cranked it up to 85 degrees. For the 40 minutes the remote climate was on, the car used 3kWhs, and the mileage estimate was reducted by 13 miles. This is just one data point since I am sure a lower starting temperature would have an impact since the heater would have to work longer to raise the temperature to 85 degrees. Nevertheless, it does give some insight into how significant of an impact running the heater has on the battery and range.
I have read that instead of using the heater one should use the seat warmer instead as it is supposed to be a more efficent way to keeping you warm during driving. We have experienced the wonderful seat warming aspect of the Lucid this last week and it does do a great job in keeping you warm. I just am not sure how efficent it really is yet.

I just did a little test to see what impact running the heater has on its range. While the car was sitting in my garage with an external temperature registering 56 degrees, I turned on the remote climate and cranked it up to 85 degrees. For the 40 minutes the remote climate was on, the car used 3kWhs, and the mileage estimate was reducted by 13 miles. This is just one data point since I am sure a lower starting temperature would have an impact since the heater would have to work longer to raise the temperature to 85 degrees. Nevertheless, it does give some insight into how significant of an impact running the heater has on the battery and range.
I have read that instead of using the heater one should use the seat warmer instead as it is supposed to be a more efficent way to keeping you warm during driving. We have experienced the wonderful seat warming aspect of the Lucid this last week and it does do a great job in keeping you warm. I just am not sure how efficent it really is yet.
Great test.

And perfect example of what we’re talking about. Let’s say the Rivian and Lucid both need 3kwh to heat the car.

At 4mi/kWh, that costs the lucid 12 miles of range vs the Rivian at 2mi/kWh, only costs the Rivian 6 miles.

You could ding Lucid for not taking into account their cabin heat requirements. Or just understand that bc they’re relying on more efficiency, all these outside factors affect them more.

Never mind what these same numbers would look like stacked against an ICE car. Which is actually using excess engine heat to warm the cabin so has no performance penalty in that situation. So bad example on my part!

Reactions: DJL
1668656160798.png
This seems very low ~250 miles on a full "daily" charge? Mixed driving on city streets, 35-45 MPH, and local highways, 60-68 MPH.

Is that typical of most of your driving or have you achieved better efficiency in the past?
I haven't really paid attention since the new UI, just charge at home every couple of days. On the old display I seem to remember getting 2.7-3.4 miles/KWh?

I think that I will log my trips for a week or two and see what's going on.

My wife and I drove to San Diego from Mill Valley (just north of SF). We didn't pay much attention to how much range/miles we were using until the way back. We stopped at Harris Ranch to charge the car. Then drove 200 miles home and used 300 mile of range. The weather was low 60s, no wind, and the road was flat most of the time.

I haven't really paid attention since the new UI, just charge at home every couple of days. On the old display I seem to remember getting 2.7-3.4 miles/KWh?

I think that I will log my trips for a week or two and see what's going on.

Sounds good. Did you look by trip versus since last charge?

View attachment 6780This seems very low ~250 miles on a full "daily" charge? Mixed driving on city streets, 35-45 MPH, and local highways, 60-68 MPH.
If you use heater or seat heating, it is more taxing than using AC. When temperature was at 70F~80F, I see 3.2~3.4 mi/kWh. Now I just see 2.6~2.8 mi/kWh at 45F~60F. I can imagine further drop temperature can get even worse numbers, but I cannot go out under 45F with 21” tires to observe.

No, haven't been paying attention.

I have noticed occasional instances where my since last charge reading has been surprising low . I think it’s because the car was walking up and going to sleep more than usual. For instance, more small trips, etc. Just a thought.

If you use heater or seat heating, it is more taxing than using AC. When temperature was at 70F~80F, I see 3.2~3.4 mi/kWh. Now I just see 2.6~2.8 mi/kWh at 45F~60F. I can imagine further drop temperature can get even worse numbers, but I cannot go out under 45F with 21” tires to observe.
I thought seat and steering heat is preferred over regular heater. I think heat is worse than ac but seat heaters and stuff should be OK?

Back