How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Great, happy for you, but as we have just established, I'm not getting close to what you are getting. Granted, did not yet take it to Vegas, can't compare apples to apples here, but if you are in LA, what is your regular city/highway range? That would be a much more real life range, then a once in a while trip.

And yes, obviously I can compare AGT to E450 - not only both are cars, I own both, drive both, pay insurance for both.
Okay he's a real world non efficiency trip I made 2 months ago.

LA to Vegas, 247 miles, 100% SOC depart, Arrival 36% SOC, which would put me at 386 miles range with my ACC set at 84 mph (real world 82 mph). Just like @Bill55 , my average for 10 miles is 3.1mi/kwh which translates to 365 miles on a full charge on average. It's up to you, but I believe unless you are driving for stretches with very limited charging options, you just don't really need to worry about range in the car.

I think the range anxiety is blown out of proportion with this car. Also, your E450 convertible is no comparison to the Air GT.

Great, happy for you, but as we have just established, I'm not getting close to what you are getting. Granted, did not yet take it to Vegas, can't compare apples to apples here, but if you are in LA, what is your regular city/highway range? That would be a much more real life range, then a once in a while trip.

And yes, obviously I can compare AGT to E450 - not only both are cars, I own both, drive both, pay insurance for both.
Around LA freeways, I still average 3.1 mi/kwh. Some "tanks" I'll get around 2.7 and others will be around 3.4. Just depends. With all the updates recently the efficiency is less because power is being used to update, so maybe that's causing a drop for you? I know that when the big update pushed over successive days, it dropped me down to 2.4 at one point.

Hey, @hydbob. I was just going to post a question about this.

On the ABRP app, I planned a drive from San Diego to Las Vegas, a one-way distance of 334 miles. Leaving my house in “Chulajuana” at 100%, the app has me stopping in Baker CA at 29%, and charging for about five minutes, to 42%, and then ending up in Las Vegas at 14%. I took a little disappointment when ABRP cranked out that stop in Baker. The main reason I bought my Air GT was for its long legs, and to not have to intermediate stops on trips over 300 miles.

Based on what you reported, I’m not convinced that this stop in Baker is necessary, even with starting down in San Diego, and even with the 4000 ft elevation change at Cajon Pass.

I’m thinking about doing this drive at 80 mph or so, and just going for it. I can always slow down if it looks like I’m cutting it close.
That drive would be cutting it extremely close. No matter how fast you want to drive that drive frequently takes 6 hours or more with traffic. Stop plug in doesn’t matter 350 or 150. Go to the restroom, by the time you get back you’ll have added 30%. Then no worries.

I'm actually writing this on a plane, was in Europe for about a month, so did not load the 2.0.15 yet as I have no keys in the car. Plan to do it today once I get home.

You are getting considerably better numbers than I do. As I said, the highest number I ever saw was 2.5, as a rule I am stuck at 2.1 - 2.3.

Hopefully, it is a break in period indeed.
Around LA freeways, I still average 3.1 mi/kwh. Some "tanks" I'll get around 2.7 and others will be around 3.4. Just depends. With all the updates recently the efficiency is less because power is being used to update, so maybe that's causing a drop for you? I know that when the big update pushed over successive days, it dropped me down to 2.4 at one point.

I'm actually writing this on a plane, was in Europe for about a month, so did not load the 2.0.15 yet as I have no keys in the car. Plan to do it today once I get home.

You are getting considerably better numbers than I do. As I said, the highest number I ever saw was 2.5, as a rule I am stuck at 2.1 - 2.3.

Hopefully, it is a break in period indeed.
This has been discussed many times before, but are you looking at since last charge or trip numbers? If you charge the car and don't drive right away, you will have lower numbers in since last charge, since it includes all losses. This includes leaving it plugged in overnight when it finishes in the middle of the night. Lucid has made a lot of changes here, but there still is a noticeable drop if you do not drive right away. I changed my charging habits because of it and now will either run the battery low enough so it will take all night or just charge for 1-2 hrs before I need to drive.

This has been discussed many times before, but are you looking at since last charge or trip numbers? If you charge the car and don't drive right away, you will have lower numbers in since last charge, since it includes all losses. This includes leaving it plugged in overnight when it finishes in the middle of the night. Lucid has made a lot of changes here, but there still is a noticeable drop if you do not drive right away. I changed my charging habits because of it and now will either run the battery low enough so it will take all night or just charge for 1-2 hrs before I need to drive.
I charge at EA, so unless I want to spend a night in the car, I have to drive right away to go home.

My dash shows a new number after a recharge, starts very low, at 1.5 or so, quickly going up to 2 - 2.1 by the time I get home in 20-30 min.

I charge at EA, so unless I want to spend a night in the car, I have to drive right away to go home.

My dash shows a new number after a recharge, starts very low, at 1.5 or so, quickly going up to 2 - 2.1 by the time I get home in 20-30 min.
I think part of that is the cooling fans using up energy. Depending on the mileage, 30 minutes might be enough so you don't see additional loss. I do get lower numbers after an EA charge than charging at home. Do you ever charge on L2? It may be worth a test just to see the difference.

Ran some range tests over the past week. As some background. I’m about 1400 miles in. I’m a moderate driver. Not heavy acceleration but at doing higher speeds on the interstate (call it 80). Overall, I’m averaging 3.5 mi/kw. That’s an even mix of city and highway driving. It’s flat where I live and the weather has been 60-70 degrees. So pretty ideal conditions.

What I did was get on the interstate, set the cruise control and then hit reset on the trip counter. I went at least 10 miles and in most cases, closer to 20-30.

80mph - 3.1 mi/kw
75mph - 3.5 mi/kw
70mph - 3.7 mi/kw
65mph - 3.9 mi/kw
60mph - 4.4 mi/kw

Below 60mph and I was consistently over 4. Sometimes into the 4.5-5 range.

Battery is 112 kWh so you can multiply the above rates times the total battery capacity to get estimated range.

I’m a pretty experienced EV driver so the above tests and most of my regular driving, I don’t ever hit the brake. The regen on this car is strong enough you really shouldn’t have to.

My takeaway from this is that higher speeds have a bigger penalty than I was expecting for this car. Coming from an SUV, I was used to big range penalties at high speed. I was hoping for better.

Oh, I’m in an AGT with 19” wheels w/ aero.

My other takeaway is that’s it’s pretty easy to get close to the EPA. Unfortunately, it requires slowing down to 60. But if you’re a long way away from a charging station and you have to get there, 55 mph is probably your best bet to stretch it out.

We all know acceleration is a big hit. My other observation was elevation changes were a big hit. Even in my relatively flat area, pushing this heavy car up an overpass caused a noticeable drop in efficiency. Which as well documented, is not fully recovered on the way back down.

I’m happy there is a set of circumstances where I can replicate the quoted range. I am a little worried about what this means for real world range in the Gravity at highway speeds. Hopefully they pack in a little more battery for that vehicle.
Very good data. With 88KWh battery in Pure assuming 100% to 10%, this is what I computed using your data if one wants to drive 360 miles from the Bay Area to LA area. At least one charging stop is required and speed limit on I-5 is 70mph. I drove at 70mph often without feeling like a road kill and it was very relaxing. The calculation shows 70mph is sweet spot for me because I typically like to stop at least for 5 min after 2.5hrs anyway. If I assume 2 stops 10 to 15 min to charge, that would be ideal. About 6hrs door to door without any stress. No different from driving my Lexus LS 430 door to door at 70 mph and 2 stops.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-02 5.26.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-02 5.26.49 PM.png
    55 KB · Views: 71
Very good data. With 88KWh battery in Pure assuming 100% to 10%, this is what I computed using your data if one wants to drive 360 miles from the Bay Area to LA area. At least one charging stop is required and speed limit on I-5 is 70mph. I drove at 70mph often without feeling like a road kill and it was very relaxing. The calculation shows 70mph is sweet spot for me because I typically like to stop at least for 5 min after 2.5hrs anyway. If I assume 2 stops 10 to 15 min to charge, that would be ideal. About 6hrs door to door without any stress. No different from driving my Lexus LS 430 door to door at 70 mph and 2 stops.
This is great.

I'd like to note that I'm averaging about 0.2 better at each category now that I'm past the 'break-in' period. Again, not sure if my driving got better or the car actually started doing better. But I'll take it.

I'm now averaging 3.8 over the last 400 miles.

I think part of that is the cooling fans using up energy. Depending on the mileage, 30 minutes might be enough so you don't see additional loss. I do get lower numbers after an EA charge than charging at home. Do you ever charge on L2? It may be worth a test just to see the difference.
This happens to me also. I only charge up to 80% and it always drops a percent as I'm backing out of the space. So I'm already starting behind once I get going.

So far I only did the 350V on EA.

I'm Driving on 21" I don't expect to get 4.5 mi/kWh but I also don't feel 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh is acceptable driving 70 mph with the cruise on for 200 miles.
I have driven 1500 miles in the last 5 days and have averaged 2.8 mi/kWh 95% highway.

This youtuber got the stated range on a 500 mile trip please watch.

Lots of variables when you drive I will agree with that I'm getting nearly 1/2 the stated range with conservative driving . With that said I have owned a Tesla and have NEVER gotten 1/2 the stated range in summer driving conditions and I have done multi cross country Trips in a Tesla.
Thanks for sharing! do you know at this point what variables cause that low average on Lucid? Is it the higher speed, AC, or massaging feature? I also own a Tesla and I am getting closer to the stated range accept when I drive on highways with higher elevation.

I'm Driving on 21" I don't expect to get 4.5 mi/kWh but I also don't feel 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh is acceptable driving 70 mph with the cruise on for 200 miles.
I have driven 1500 miles in the last 5 days and have averaged 2.8 mi/kWh 95% highway.

This youtuber got the stated range on a 500 mile trip please watch.

Lots of variables when you drive I will agree with that I'm getting nearly 1/2 the stated range with conservative driving . With that said I have owned a Tesla and have NEVER gotten 1/2 the stated range in summer driving conditions and I have done multi cross country Trips in a Tesla.

This miss alignment panels bothers me. How did it pass the QC?

Attachments

• C8EB57BD-7F64-492E-A981-25B739933E15.jpeg
    C8EB57BD-7F64-492E-A981-25B739933E15.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
So far I only did the 350V on EA.
Ahh, and that probably requires more cooling than the 150 (max I've used). I'd either try charging at a different time when you are going to be driving it more right afterwards, or try and 150 and see if it makes a difference.

Is it because you are on 21s wheels?
That post was from a while ago but yes I am on 21" wheels. I still believe that gentle driving under 65 should give close to 4mi/kWhr. Based on what I know now, Air Conditioning and battery thermal management is a large hit on efficiency. As it has cooled down here in AZ, my efficiency has improved by about 0.4mi/kWhr. I can easily average 3.7 to 3.8 now with normal driving.

For people that want to dig into how AC impacts range and efficiency. We know from the Wunderbox tech talk that the medium power inverter supports 10 kW and primarily supports cabin AC and battery thermal management systems. I know that my level 2 charge rate at work has increased from 16mi/hr to 23mi/hr on the same charger. This implies that 1.7 kW was going to the battery thermal management when it was hot out and now going into the battery with cooler temperatures. I also know that turning on remote AC when it was hot out would take the charge rate to 0mi/hr with the same 6-7 kW input. Hence, AC and thermal management can draw over 7kw of power. If AC and thermal management uses just half that while driving, that is an additional 3.5kW of power draw. At 60 mph, this translates into a loss of 0.7 mi/kWhr or going from 4.0 mi/kWhr to 3.3mi/kWhr.

Thanks for sharing! do you know at this point what variables cause that low average on Lucid? Is it the higher speed, AC, or massaging feature? I also own a Tesla and I am getting closer to the stated range accept when I drive on highways with higher elevation.
Weight. Lucid Air is damn heavy. Acceleration in city limits hurts range. Highway steady speed improves range.

This miss alignment panels bothers me. How did it pass the QC?
This is irrelevant to this thread’s topic. I don’t know why you constantly troll nonstop.

Weight. Lucid Air is damn heavy. Acceleration in city limits hurts range. Highway steady speed improves range.
I wonder if put into neutral, how difficult it would actually be to 'push' the car
Also if the battery does die, you probably can't switch it to neutral can you?

Back