How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Put 800 miles on my ATG with 21" so far - getting about 220 - 250 miles out of a full charge (370 to max 417 miles set). I'm in LA, but don't spend much time in traffic and mostly do highway driving, although a lot of it is at 40-60 mph. Driving in my normal fashion as I am used with gas cars (that is as fast as possible based on traffic and road conditions).

Not impressed with the range, to say the least. Yet, according to the poll, I am only one of two ppl, who gets 50% range. Am I doing smth wrong or should I have the car checked out?
Make it 3 people.

I drive like you and also get only about 270 miles of range in my regular routine.

But I did get about 400 miles while on a long distance trip.

Ran some range tests over the past week. As some background. I’m about 1400 miles in. I’m a moderate driver. Not heavy acceleration but at doing higher speeds on the interstate (call it 80). Overall, I’m averaging 3.5 mi/kw. That’s an even mix of city and highway driving. It’s flat where I live and the weather has been 60-70 degrees. So pretty ideal conditions.

What I did was get on the interstate, set the cruise control and then hit reset on the trip counter. I went at least 10 miles and in most cases, closer to 20-30.

80mph - 3.1 mi/kw
75mph - 3.5 mi/kw
70mph - 3.7 mi/kw
65mph - 3.9 mi/kw
60mph - 4.4 mi/kw

Below 60mph and I was consistently over 4. Sometimes into the 4.5-5 range.

Battery is 112 kWh so you can multiply the above rates times the total battery capacity to get estimated range.

I’m a pretty experienced EV driver so the above tests and most of my regular driving, I don’t ever hit the brake. The regen on this car is strong enough you really shouldn’t have to.

My takeaway from this is that higher speeds have a bigger penalty than I was expecting for this car. Coming from an SUV, I was used to big range penalties at high speed. I was hoping for better.

Oh, I’m in an AGT with 19” wheels w/ aero.

My other takeaway is that’s it’s pretty easy to get close to the EPA. Unfortunately, it requires slowing down to 60. But if you’re a long way away from a charging station and you have to get there, 55 mph is probably your best bet to stretch it out.

We all know acceleration is a big hit. My other observation was elevation changes were a big hit. Even in my relatively flat area, pushing this heavy car up an overpass caused a noticeable drop in efficiency. Which as well documented, is not fully recovered on the way back down.

I’m happy there is a set of circumstances where I can replicate the quoted range. I am a little worried about what this means for real world range in the Gravity at highway speeds. Hopefully they pack in a little more battery for that vehicle.
Thanks for doing that! It sucks to drive this car slow, just feels wrong haha, but if I get screwed by EA on a road trip and am too far from the nearest functioning DCFC then 55mph it is! I did a mini test today to see how efficiency was impacted by cold temps (it was 37F this AM here), and at around 72mph with climate set to 68 over 60 miles I got 3.4 mi/kWh on 19” wheels. My tires were a little under inflated so I’m guessing 3.5 mi/kWh is most likely for those conditions.

Yes! We're under 2 weeks in, so still in battery "break in/self tune" period, but see huge difference to charges that are only drive time Nd those where we have walked by the car lots (each walk by is a boot/idle/poweroff sequence that is all wasted energy).

Curious what you mean by "turn off my app when not in use". What action are you referring to?
When I am not using the phone app, I sign out on the upper left hand corner where 3 bars are. It’s probably completely irrelevant and unnecessary.

If you are always close to your vehicle it may be good to make sure fobs/ phone are not unintentionally communicating with it. I put my fob in a faraday pouch. This may be completely unnecessary also but it’s habit now.

My efficiency went up a bit after a couple weeks but now had decreased a tad because of cooler weather. The car by far gets its best efficiency when cruising along.

When I am not using the phone app, I sign out on the upper left hand corner where 3 bars are. It’s probably completely irrelevant and unnecessary.

If you are always close to your vehicle it may be good to make sure fobs/ phone are not unintentionally communicating with it. I put my fob in a faraday pouch. This may be completely unnecessary also but it’s habit now.

My efficiency went up a bit after a couple weeks but now had decreased a tad because of cooler weather. The car by far gets its best efficiency when cruising along.
Didn't someone say to just turn off Bluetooth?

I’m not sure to be honest. It’s probably unnecessary to sign out of the app ; it’s just a habit.

asking for the mortals, what are the "driving technique" that you speak of? please educate us haha
I don't drive for range as much as I used to, but I definitely love driving with high regen. I don't punch off the line (too often), keep my speed under 80 (which is much faster than the average where I do most of my daily driving), and I use regen to my advantage every chance I get. And most importantly, I pay attention. There is no reason to speed up to a light if it just turned red. I know where on the highway I can speed more and where I am likely to come upon traffic, so I don't waste power and energy knowing I will need to slow down quickly. I also actually drive the car, since that is what makes it so enjoyable to me, so I feel how the car is under my foot and take advantage where I can. I don't think you'll learn that using ACC.

Also, there are quite a few of us who get mids 4s consistently. It is not just me.

I don't drive for range as much as I used to, but I definitely love driving with high regen. I don't punch off the line (too often), keep my speed under 80 (which is much faster than the average where I do most of my daily driving), and I use regen to my advantage every chance I get. And most importantly, I pay attention. There is no reason to speed up to a light if it just turned red. I know where on the highway I can speed more and where I am likely to come upon traffic, so I don't waste power and energy knowing I will need to slow down quickly. I also actually drive the car, since that is what makes it so enjoyable to me, so I feel how the car is under my foot and take advantage where I can. I don't think you'll learn that using ACC.

Also, there are quite a few of us who get mids 4s consistently. It is not just me.
I feel like it's a game at this point, gonna try to hit as high as I can when I first get it lol. But the winters here are usually from 20's to 40's to I don't know how efficient that will be

Yeah definitely, I think ACC is actually worse for efficiency in this car than controlling the speed/regen yourself.

Thanks for doing that! It sucks to drive this car slow, just feels wrong haha, but if I get screwed by EA on a road trip and am too far from the nearest functioning DCFC then 55mph it is! I did a mini test today to see how efficiency was impacted by cold temps (it was 37F this AM here), and at around 72mph with climate set to 68 over 60 miles I got 3.4 mi/kWh on 19” wheels. My tires were a little under inflated so I’m guessing 3.5 mi/kWh is most likely for those conditions.
That actually seems quite good and seems better than the Tesla. My Tesla would drop quite a bit below 40. It was dramatic below freezing. Never really measured it out and now wish I had.

3.5 is what I'm currently averaging so if you can average that at 37, I'll be happy with that.

I feel like it's a game at this point, gonna try to hit as high as I can when I first get it lol. But the winters here are usually from 20's to 40's to I don't know how efficient that will be
We had 2 days in the 30s with nights in 20s , with snow last week. I was in the high 2s and I suspect when it gets really cold , down around zero or less, it will be a tad worse. It’s no big deal for me because I will just plug in more often. Have a bunch of colleagues up here who drive their Teslas all winter and it’s pretty much the same.

Under encouraging for me today, drove 70 miles and averaged 3.9. Mostly highway and driving close to my normal style. Averaged 75 but had stretches up to 80 and 85.

At 1500 miles right now. Two weeks ago, that same trip would have been 3.2 for me. So maybe the break-in period is happening for me.

Sounds like my driving is similar to what you're doing. We'll see if things continue to improve for me. But hitting 3.9 today certainly makes me more optimistic I'll get above 4 regularly in the future.

Under less good news, car drained about 3% over 3 days while parked at the airport. Still 60-70 degrees here so don't think it was climate related. I did check on it twice so that didn't help.

Not sure I'm comfortable leaving it at the airport for a couple of weeks but a week or less shouldn't be a problem.

Kyle, from Out of Spec Studios, used my Lucid Air GT with 19" wheels and in near ideal highway driving conditions at 70 miles per hour, he got 435.5 miles of range, He was able to pull 109 kwh from the battery. He switched to the 21" wheels, did a shorter highway run and noted 13-14% range penalty. This means my car in ideal highway driving at 70 miles per hour with 21" wheels should go about 377 miles. At higher speeds, and/or with more stop and go will dramatically change the range. As an example, right before software update 2.0.15 (where you could readily see miles per kwh since the last charge), I was averaging around 2.7 miles per kwh during a mixed use test with some performance driving. Average that out with my car on a full charge would put the range at just under 300 miles. What doesn't make sense to me is the reported range difference between a Dream Edition Range (520 miles) and the GT (516 miles). The DE has a 118kwh battery versus the GT's 112, so why does it supposedly only have a 4 mile range difference? It should be closer to a 28 mile range difference based on Lucid's calculated miles per kwh. In some ways this may help explain why some reviewers got about 500 miles of range on the DE, but I haven't seen the same for the GT (at 70 miles per hour). Bottom line: I'm not convinced the GT is a 500 mile car at true highway speeds with the 19" wheels. I also suspect it will be hard for a GT with 21" wheels to see 400 miles at true highway speeds. If you drive at a steady 55 miles per hour (below what I consider a true highway speed), the advertised range numbers might be achievable, but we haven't tested that. Of course, your range will vary, and I'm basing my analysis on Kyle's thorough testing of my car and my own testing as well.

Under encouraging for me today, drove 70 miles and averaged 3.9. Mostly highway and driving close to my normal style. Averaged 75 but had stretches up to 80 and 85.

At 1500 miles right now. Two weeks ago, that same trip would have been 3.2 for me. So maybe the break-in period is happening for me.

Sounds like my driving is similar to what you're doing. We'll see if things continue to improve for me. But hitting 3.9 today certainly makes me more optimistic I'll get above 4 regularly in the future.

Under less good news, car drained about 3% over 3 days while parked at the airport. Still 60-70 degrees here so don't think it was climate related. I did check on it twice so that didn't help.

Not sure I'm comfortable leaving it at the airport for a couple of weeks but a week or less shouldn't be a problem.

This is encouraging news indeed. I drove my Air GT from the southern end of San Diego County to LAX and back. I can’t remember what my efficiency was but I do remember that my car was approaching 1000 miles on the odometer.

This round trip drive of 285 miles is one I’ll be doing every week for the next several years. I was surprised at how much of my battery capacity it took, from 93% to 17%. That’s a total of 76% of battery capacity.

What would account for so much of my range being eaten up? Granted I was driving like any self-respecting Lucid driver would - well above posted speed limits whenever possible. Otherwise there’s not much of an elevation change between San Diego and LAX, and the weather on this drive was what it usually is - light winds and an OAT hovering in 70s.

I’m hoping that as the car is broken in my trip efficiency on this drive will improve.

This is encouraging news indeed. I drove my Air GT from the southern end of San Diego County to LAX and back. I can’t remember what my efficiency was but I do remember that my car was approaching 1000 miles on the odometer.

This round trip drive of 285 miles is one I’ll be doing every week for the next several years. I was surprised at how much of my battery capacity it took, from 93% to 17%. That’s a total of 76% of battery capacity.

What would account for so much of my range being eaten up? Granted I was driving like any self-respecting Lucid driver would - well above posted speed limits whenever possible. Otherwise there’s not much of an elevation change between San Diego and LAX, and the weather on this drive was what it usually is - light winds and an OAT hovering in 70s.

I’m hoping that as the car is broken in my trip efficiency on this drive will improve.
I’m approaching 13k miles. I’m sure I use acceleration above average. I’m at ~2.95 mi kWh or 3.5 miles per 1% of charge on DE with 118kWh battery.

NOT and option! I use BT 100% of the time (when out walking I have earbuds in, when at home I have a device that connects the cell line to the "house phone" handsets, when out I also make use of the Google/VA covid detection logic, which is BT LE based). I know that the car is not turning on randomly when I'm in the house, but it does turn on most times that I walk by it (parking lot, 40' from my front door). I really wish that the car/mobile key used BTLE to recognize when to unlock (make it an option to use BT or BTLE for those who like it unlocking at 40'), but then reverted to BT (again with an option for it to be BTLE) for when to lock. In fact, I wish the keyfob would do the same, with an additional optional setting for the fob to only unlock when the user EXPLICITLY presses the unlock sequence (thus communicating INTENT).

I am a firm believer (after 40ish years of software design and implementation) in options, then we no longer are arguing about WHAT the software should do, just about what the DEFAULT setting of the option should be.

Kyle, from Out of Spec Studios, used my Lucid Air GT with 19" wheels and in near ideal highway driving conditions at 70 miles per hour, he got 435.5 miles of range, He was able to pull 109 kwh from the battery. He switched to the 21" wheels, did a shorter highway run and noted 13-14% range penalty. This means my car in ideal highway driving at 70 miles per hour with 21" wheels should go about 377 miles. At higher speeds, and/or with more stop and go will dramatically change the range. As an example, right before software update 2.0.15 (where you could readily see miles per kwh since the last charge), I was averaging around 2.7 miles per kwh during a mixed use test with some performance driving. Average that out with my car on a full charge would put the range at just under 300 miles. What doesn't make sense to me is the reported range difference between a Dream Edition Range (520 miles) and the GT (516 miles). The DE has a 118kwh battery versus the GT's 112, so why does it supposedly only have a 4 mile range difference? It should be closer to a 28 mile range difference based on Lucid's calculated miles per kwh. In some ways this may help explain why some reviewers got about 500 miles of range on the DE, but I haven't seen the same for the GT (at 70 miles per hour). Bottom line: I'm not convinced the GT is a 500 mile car at true highway speeds with the 19" wheels. I also suspect it will be hard for a GT with 21" wheels to see 400 miles at true highway speeds. If you drive at a steady 55 miles per hour (below what I consider a true highway speed), the advertised range numbers might be achievable, but we haven't tested that. Of course, your range will vary, and I'm basing my analysis on Kyle's thorough testing of my car and my own testing as well.
I think I saw that review just recently, I had a question regarding the Frunk, there's a piece that doesn't look homogenous and the lining in the frunk is coming apart, is that common, or normal? Doesn't look good for such a pricey and luxury vehicle. Wondering if I need to baby the frunk more than I thought I'd need to

I think I saw that review just recently, I had a question regarding the Frunk, there's a piece that doesn't look homogenous and the lining in the frunk is coming apart, is that common, or normal? Doesn't look good for such a pricey and luxury vehicle. Wondering if I need to baby the frunk more than I thought I'd need to
I’ve loaded the frunk full of racing gear and hiking gear many times. I haven’t noticed any unusual wear.

It’s achievable, the sweet spot is at 50~55mph steady with least amount of acceleration (highway ramping). I experimented couple times and got 3.7 mi/kWh ~ 3.9 mi/kWh (on 21”)

Thread 'My best efficient yet! (94% EPA AGT21”)'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/my-best-efficient-yet-94-epa-agt21”.2269/

My lifetime efficiency is 3.0 mi/kWh. I don’t normally drive like that in experiment. It’s no fun, but I am aware where the sweet spot is if I ever go short on battery.

I took a drive from Phoenix to Jerome, Prescott and back to Phoenix. 5000 feet of elevations gain, temperature from 65 to 78, two-thirds freeway driving at 75-80 mph,one-third winding mountain roads from 20-50 mph, a couple of stretcehs of 20 miles with stop and go city driving. 251 miles total and 3.4 mi/kWhr on 21" wheels. I beleive that @Pwmac saw just about the same. I am pleased!

Back