How is creep mode supposed to work?

austinlucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
When I enabled "creep" mode, my thought was that it should work just like an ICE car with automatic transmission - the car should slowly creep forward whenever you take your foot off the brake. However, it seems that creep is only "activated" if you take your foot off the brake, then slightly tap the accelerator, then creep mode turns on. This seems very strange to me - at first I thought creep mode was just totally broken.

Any thoughts on how it should work, or why it works this way?

What do you have stop mode configured as? I believe if you set it to Roll, you’ll get the feeling of an ICE a bit more.
Yes, it's configured for roll. But it's still the case that if I come to a complete stop, then take my foot off the brake, I don't move at all if I'm on a flat surface. To "activate" creep I need to tap the accelerator, which IMO kinda defeats the purpose.

I've been experimenting with this too. I regularly have to parallel park. As nice as one pedal driving is, it doesn't allow for precise placement of the car when parking. I can't seem to predict how much the car will roll when I fully lift off the accelerator, especially in reverse. With Creep mode enabled, I think the car should behave like an automatic ICE at low speeds. Right now it feels like some weird EV/automatic ICE amalgam. Roll mode, and how there are some cases where it will roll backwards on a slight hill (but not every time), is alarming because it's not consistent.

It feels like there should be a persistent fast-access UI element or physical button somewhere that tells the car to toggle between a parking mode (low creep and hill hold with the brake modulating the speed) and a one pedal mode for normal driving. Just spitballing here...

Any other ideas?

I believe it's behaving the same among us. I think there is room for improvement here. Hopefully Lucid will take a look at it. A quick access parking mode seems like a good idea.

I think it would be a bunch better if creep mode simply rolled slowly in the direction of the selected gear without touching the accelerator.
I don't think that's a solution. I like the one pedal driving, coming to a complete stop, and not rolling after that. That's how it works today with creep and stop enabled. With creep and roll enabled, the car will roll in the direction of decline.
More accurately it'd be better to simply roll in the direction of the selected gear while gently pressing the brake. Anything beyond a light pressing of the brake obviously will not let the car move.
I do like the proposed idea of having the ability to quickly switch into a parking mode. The car somehow initiates a very very low powered acceleration, so when releasing the brake your car moves. Smarter people than me should be able to figure something out.

It's the switching between one-pedal and creep modes that's problematic, since they're a few levels deep into menus and you have to be in park to switch. They both have their applications. I love one-pedal around town and in traffic. It's a PITA when I go to park. I want to have my cake and eat it too. ;)

I also think that regeneration should not be available below “x” mph and in reverse. When I’m pulling into the garage or reversing into a spot, I feel like I am very herky-jerky with my movements.

When I’m pulling into the garage or reversing into a spot, I feel like I am very herky-jerky with my movements.
Yep. The lowest "throttle" response feels like it's trying to roll out of one of those shallow drainage troughs. More pedal than feels natural, then it suddenly rolls out of the stop. In traffic this works fine, but 24" from a wall is pucker inducing.

I also use creep mode for parking and tight spaces. Much better control. But I'm one pedal driving the rest of the time and rarely touch the brake on city streets or on the highway.

I also think that regeneration should not be available below “x” mph and in reverse. When I’m pulling into the garage or reversing into a spot, I feel like I am very herky-jerky with my movements.
I agree. With my Tesla, once I got below 5 mph (or thereabouts) the regen would cut out and I can roll up to a stop light/sign, or into a parking spot. Now, with the Lucid, I am finding that while it is truly one-pedal driving all the way to a complete stop, it creates herky-jerky movements always having to engage the accelerator for slow speed "manuevers". Never thought to use Creep before, but will give it a try to see if it is a happy medium.

I agree. With my Tesla, once I got below 5 mph (or thereabouts) the regen would cut out and I can roll up to a stop light/sign, or into a parking spot. Now, with the Lucid, I am finding that while it is truly one-pedal driving all the way to a complete stop, it creates herky-jerky movements always having to engage the accelerator for slow speed "manuevers". Never thought to use Creep before, but will give it a try to see if it is a happy medium.
I've had the best result with Hold, Creep, and No Roll. But try out different settings for you to see what works out to your liking.

I think it would be a bunch better if creep mode simply rolled slowly in the direction of the selected gear without touching the accelerator.
Aggre, and like ice. Backing out of garage and parking stalls is tedious. My safest method is short on/off with the accelerator. To go into menues for creep mode or otherwise is way too much hassle.

Aggre, and like ice. Backing out of garage and parking stalls is tedious. My safest method is short on/off with the accelerator. To go into menues for creep mode or otherwise is way too much hassle.
Try the settings I suggested above and see if that works for you. No need to keep going into the menus to enable it when parking. One pedal driving during regular use. No need to use the brake at all. Then when you get to the area that needs more control, after you are stopped, lightly touch the accelerator to engage creep, and control speed with the brake.

It will stay on creep mode when switching from D to R until you accelerate past a certain speed or hit park.

I wish I could engage creep mode only for reverse.

Try the settings I suggested above and see if that works for you. No need to keep going into the menus to enable it when parking. One pedal driving during regular use. No need to use the brake at all. Then when you get to the area that needs more control, after you are stopped, lightly touch the accelerator to engage creep, and control speed with the brake.

It will stay on creep mode when switching from D to R until you accelerate past a certain speed or hit park.
I like this, and this sounds like the solution I'd probably use

I already tried that and cant hit the brake fast enough and the car moves too far. I have 13 size hiking shoes and it cant be moved from accelerator directly sideway to the brake pedal but gets stuck in something under the panel so have to first move the leg back and then side ways. I rent cars 1/3 of the year and havent experience this shoe obstacle before.

Back