How effective is your air conditioner?

Drove the car through the CA Central Valley this weekend in 110-115 degree heat and had not problems with the AC. In fact it actually got too cold in the car at times. Have not tinted any of the windows.

I have had a DE for about 3 months in the Chicago area.

The air conditioner is pretty lack luster. It does blow cool air, but not very strongly. The car takes 10+ minutes to cool down, if not longer.

It is to the point that I pretty much have to precool it using the app (and we know how well that works).

The car was towed to the Chicago service center to investigate. I was told that it is blowing cool air and working fine.

Is this consistent with everybody else's experience, or (hopefully) a problem with my car?
Iv had my car for 5 months and AC does the same as yours. At first it didn’t turn on and just blew air. After 3 weeks in Houston shop they said a defective switch. Now AC turns off when car is idle blows regular air. Live in Texas so it’s hot. I don’t know what to do if I can’t drive this car. Last update has kept AC from turning off and on. Now when I’m picking kids up it turns off then about 30 mins of driving turns on. AC is never cold.

Iv had my car for 5 months and AC does the same as yours. At first it didn’t turn on and just blew air. After 3 weeks in Houston shop they said a defective switch. Now AC turns off when car is idle blows regular air. Live in Texas so it’s hot. I don’t know what to do if I can’t drive this car. Last update has kept AC from turning off and on. Now when I’m picking kids up it turns off then about 30 mins of driving turns on. AC is never cold.
Do we know whether there’s an AC design issue (affecting all vehicles) or is this an issue for certain vehicles where they address it at service?

The intermittent AC stoping is a software bug that was introduced few updates back and is hopefully fixed in the latest 1.2.185 update. The only issue that is design related is the overhang of the dash prevents you from being able to aim the vent very high. I have driven my car multiple times when the outside temperature is above 115 degrees and never turned the the AC up all of the way. I would say definitely not a design issue impacting all cars. @Dimps630 should have service look at his.

The intermittent AC stoping is a software bug that was introduced few updates back and is hopefully fixed in the latest 1.2.185 update. The only issue that is design related is the overhang of the dash prevents you from being able to aim the vent very high. I have driven my car multiple times when the outside temperature is above 115 degrees and never turned the the AC up all of the way. I would say definitely not a design issue impacting all cars. @Dimps630 should have service look at his.
I agree. Mine makes me shiver.

AC works when drivin. Not the coldest. I wait one hour in school line and AC turns off. As I write I turned car off and opened window. It’s 97 outside but cooler than just getting regular air. Very frustrating and I did install new update.

I find barely any air coming out from speeds 1-3...and if I turn on the feet portion, then I really cannot feel anything coming out of the vents next to the steering wheel

AC works when drivin. Not the coldest. I wait one hour in school line and AC turns off. As I write I turned car off and opened window. It’s 97 outside but cooler than just getting regular air. Very frustrating and I did install new update.
You can keep the car running while parked. Just push the brake or any button every 10 min or so.

I find barely any air coming out from speeds 1-3...and if I turn on the feet portion, then I really cannot feel anything coming out of the vents next to the steering wheel
Join the club. The AC truly sucks for me on the GT despite all attempts by Service to Fix it including a reset of the whole system.

In Dallas at 59 degrees and Fan at 10 it barely keeps the car cool for us. If you park in full Sun for some time then it might take you 30 minutes to cool it.

As some have suggested you can pre cool
It and also let it maintain the car temp for 45 minutes at a time but the design is terrible and the Lip Overhang of the Dash and the narrow Vents are the #1 culprit. I also feel the whole system on the GT is weak.

You are also supposed to turn on the rear AC. Also check if the defrost mode is on for you? That was one of my issues. It kept starting in that mode and had to be turned off.

Another workaround was to start with temp at 65 and Fan at 6 until you felt the AC come on before you turn the temp to lowest setting and fan to 10.

Was also told to always punch defrost mode and then punch it off and maybe that would help.

Oh it seems like a FULL Tint Job may help as well. Many here have reported as much.

Good Luck.

Join the club. The AC truly sucks for me on the GT despite all attempts by Service to Fix it including a reset of the whole system.

In Dallas at 59 degrees and Fan at 10 it barely keeps the car cool for us. If you park in full Sun for some time then it might take you 30 minutes to cool it.

As some have suggested you can pre cool
It and also let it maintain the car temp for 45 minutes at a time but the design is terrible and the Lip Overhang of the Dash and the narrow Vents are the #1 culprit. I also feel the whole system on the GT is weak.

You are also supposed to turn on the rear AC. Also check if the defrost mode is on for you? That was one of my issues. It kept starting in that mode and had to be turned off.

Another workaround was to start with temp at 65 and Fan at 6 until you felt the AC come on before you turn the temp to lowest setting and fan to 10.

Was also told to always punch defrost mode and then punch it off and maybe that would help.

Oh it seems like a FULL Tint Job may help as well. Many here have reported as much.

Good Luck.
I agree. A/C marginal at best. Works fine if temperature is in the 70's or 80's. Terrible if in the 90's.

Had them check it. Service said it is operating normally.

Very little air flow at low speeds. Not enough air flow at high speeds and noisy fan at high speeds.

Can't direct air to face because of Lip overhang.

Whole system needs to be rethought and redone.

I agree. A/C marginal at best. Works fine if temperature is in the 70's or 80's. Terrible if in the 90's.

Had them check it. Service said it is operating normally.

Very little air flow at low speeds. Not enough air flow at high speeds and noisy fan at high speeds.

Can't direct air to face because of Lip overhang.

Whole system needs to be rethought and redone.
I'm with you. I'm down in New Orleans and even with all of my windows tinted if I parked in the sun all day it doesn't get comfortable for 20 minutes-and then I'm home from work by then-and its not even August yet. Tech came out and said everything is good but this is fairly miserable and I'm really disappointed. Of course I can turn on the AC in advance but the app is so slow and buggy it takes me 4-5 minutes every time and occasionally I forget and suffer.

I had the same experience with my DE. When I took it to service had them check the AC and they found the system was not properly filled. They serviced the system and since then my AC works great and I live in south Florida.

I'm with you. I'm down in New Orleans and even with all of my windows tinted if I parked in the sun all day it doesn't get comfortable for 20 minutes-and then I'm home from work by then-and its not even August yet. Tech came out and said everything is good but this is fairly miserable and I'm really disappointed. Of course I can turn on the AC in advance but the app is so slow and buggy it takes me 4-5 minutes every time and occasionally I forget and suffer.
Agreed A/C is marginal at best. The Auto function does not really work because it does not control the fan speed. Lucid could make the auto function useful with a software update. Hope it gets on the improvement list.

Agreed A/C is marginal at best. The Auto function does not really work because it does not control the fan speed. Lucid could make the auto function useful with a software update. Hope it gets on the improvement list.
The Auto function controls the fan speed for me.

There also seems to be a bug on some vehicles where you need to cycle through the climate zones i.e. feet, face, defrost to get it blow properly. Try that if you are seeing issues.

I have had a DE for about 3 months in the Chicago area.

The air conditioner is pretty lack luster. It does blow cool air, but not very strongly. The car takes 10+ minutes to cool down, if not longer.

It is to the point that I pretty much have to precool it using the app (and we know how well that works).

The car was towed to the Chicago service center to investigate. I was told that it is blowing cool air and working fine.

Is this consistent with everybody else's experience, or (hopefully) a problem with my car?

There also seems to be a bug on some vehicles where you need to cycle through the climate zones i.e. feet, face, defrost to get it blow properly. Try that if you are seeing issues.
Maybe thats not a bug, maybe its just that when you cycle modes, it directs air to the place that collects air for the other modes. For example, foot vent ac will make the vented seats better if im not mistaken.

I’m in south Florida where the temperature has been in the high 80s and low 90s. The car does get hot when left outside,especially with the glass roof but the A/C has been doing a great job controlling the temperature and fan speed Make sure you have both settings on AUTO Hope this helps

Back