How effective is your air conditioner?

DBordello

Cars
Tesla Model S P100D
DE Number
I have had a DE for about 3 months in the Chicago area.

The air conditioner is pretty lack luster. It does blow cool air, but not very strongly. The car takes 10+ minutes to cool down, if not longer.

It is to the point that I pretty much have to precool it using the app (and we know how well that works).

The car was towed to the Chicago service center to investigate. I was told that it is blowing cool air and working fine.

Is this consistent with everybody else's experience, or (hopefully) a problem with my car?

If the AZ people are okay for the most part, I'd suspect it's your car. Is your car on the 1.2.6 software? Was it only towed for the AC issue or something else?

In SoCal my AC has been great on multiple 100 degree days. Again, I had the whole car tinted so that might be a factor as well.

That matches my experience as well. I think it should cool much faster than it does. My best guess is that it’s another trade off between performance and battery life.

If the AZ people are okay for the most part, I'd suspect it's your car. Is your car on the 1.2.6 software? Was it only towed for the AC issue or something else?

In SoCal my AC has been great on multiple 100 degree days. Again, I had the whole car tinted so that might be a factor as well.

I am on 1.2.6; but it persisted since I took delivery on 1.2.1. I am glad to hear that your car is working well. They did tow it just for the A/C.

That matches my experience as well. I think it should cool much faster than it does. My best guess is that it’s another trade off between performance and battery life.

That I don't like to hear...

How long after you start driving does it take to cool off? Does driving help cool it down?

I have had a DE for about 3 months in the Chicago area.

The air conditioner is pretty lack luster. It does blow cool air, but not very strongly. The car takes 10+ minutes to cool down, if not longer.

It is to the point that I pretty much have to precool it using the app (and we know how well that works).

The car was towed to the Chicago service center to investigate. I was told that it is blowing cool air and working fine.

Is this consistent with everybody else's experience, or (hopefully) a problem with my car?

I find the AC to be only so-so. You have to put the fan on high which is somewhat noisy to get enough cool air on hot days. Plus the vent angles are not great for directing on your face.

Driving doesn't appear to help. It is bad enough that I try not to get in to the car without precooling. However, it doesn't appear to get better while driving.
I’m assuming you switch it to recycle air from exterior air once you’ve pre-cooled it? Another owner who is tall seems to have trouble staying cool due to the vents not blowing upward high enough due to the dash overhang blocking them. Did you bring a temp gauge in the car to compare actual temp with what the car thinks it is? Just asking cuz mine works fine and even better with 1.2.6 update.

It is 101F outside today. I started the A/C 15 minutes ago and the interior temperature is 85F.
The car ain't gonna cool that well just sitting in the hot sun

I hope that the Air cools as well as a regular ICE car, if not that is a big problem for those of us who live in hot climates.

The need for reduced drag pretty much eliminates the use of the large A/C condenser used in ICE cars. It is replaced by smaller unit(s) and fans. Not sufficient surface available to reject all the heat from the condenser until the car is moving at reasonable speed. Blowing 100 degree air does not help much. Obviously the large glass roof surface does not help. We turn the rear A/C off which sends more air to the front and cools the front area of the cabin a lot faster.

I posted this back in late April showing the rate of cool down with pre-conditioning.

I tried the pre-cool function to see how quickly it cooled and how it impacted my charge rate. Here are some notes on interior temperature and power draw:

Charge rate mi/hrPower InInterior Temperature
Prior to starting AC216 kW134
Just after starting AC0.06 kW134
5 minutes in0.06 kW112
10 minutes in0.06 kw94
15 minutes in0.06 kW91
20 minutes in0.06 kW89

I don't think this is abnormal even for ICE cars to need more airflow over the condenser to get maximum AC. Getting into a 90 degree car in AZ feels cool and cools to the low 70's within a few miles. We do not have the humidity that you do so that will both slow your cooling and make it feel hotter.

Does the Heating work? My experience here with the car is similar. At 10 and temp set to 60, we could not feel much air circulating. Just took my ICE around the corner like half a mile and the car was standing in 104 degrees and was cool by the time I had reached my destination. I did open the sunroof and all windows prior to getting in.

Maybe precooling is the trick we can use to ensure the car stays cool. Also the feature where it can maintain the temp for 45 minutes. That would be sooo nice in this Texas heat while going from one store to another on weekends.

I will ask the mobile team to also check my AC in case it has the issue above. Thanks for the update. Saw it posted on Stocktwits by a person who bad mouths Lucid there on a daily basis and copies and pasted a link to every issue we discuss here 😂🥶

Does the Heating work? My experience here with the car is similar. At 10 and temp set to 60, we could not feel much air circulating. Just took my ICE around the corner like half a mile and the car was standing in 104 degrees and was cool by the time I had reached my destination. I did open the sunroof and all windows prior to getting in.

Maybe precooling is the trick we can use to ensure the car stays cool. Also the feature where it can maintain the temp for 45 minutes. That would be sooo nice in this Texas heat while going from one store to another on weekends.

I will ask the mobile team to also check my AC in case it has the issue above. Thanks for the update. Saw it posted on Stocktwits by a person who bad mouths Lucid there on a daily basis and copies and pasted a link to every issue we discuss here 😂🥶
If you have it set to 10 and you don't feel much air circulating, definitely have them check it out because even on 1.2.1. on fan 10, I would never describe it as not much air circulating

If you have it set to 10 and you don't feel much air circulating, definitely have them check it out because even on 1.2.1. on fan 10, I would never describe it as not much air circulating
Thank you for that info. I most certainly will point it out. It is bordering into “Angry Spouse” category 🤪

Does anyone know how to keep the rear A/C on for good? Looks like it keeps reverting to off the next time I drive it. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I just want air circulating around the entire car.

Does anyone know how to keep the rear A/C on for good? Looks like it keeps reverting to off the next time I drive it. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I just want air circulating around the entire car.
Sure do not but have you tried perusing the Manual?

Back