How effective is your air conditioner?

Well we have our second Bay Area Lucid "fun" ride tomorrow morning. We'll be heading over to the coast for "brunch" with five Lucids. However, the temp over there will not be that high so not a good test for the air conditioning.
Maybe you guys can test heating! Lol

I have mine set at 60 and it works great...it actually goes to 59.
I set mine to 74, because any lower my hands start to freeze. I also keep the seat ventilation at 3. I noticed that it remembers the seat ventilation setting when you enter the car, but it doesn’t actually kick in until you select the climate control screen. I can tell, because I can hear the seat fan come on when I have my head up against the headrest.

It cooled down from very hot to not as hot. I had the A/C set on 71 but it never got that cool, or at least didn't feel 71.
I can relate. If my A/C is per specs then this car can never keep people cool in the Texas heat and humidity. These mobile guys have been taught to always hedge and out this all on factory specs provided to them. Maybe tint would have to be a compromise. Thanks to the person posting the state requirements.

Mine is set to 60 and 10 speed and barely cools.

I can relate. If my A/C is per specs then this car can never keep people cool in the Texas heat and humidity. These mobile guys have been taught to always hedge and out this all on factory specs provided to them. Maybe tint would have to be a compromise. Thanks to the person posting the state requirements.

Mine is set to 60 and 10 speed and barely cools.
Okay, another silly question, but do you have the A/C button activated? set to 60 and fan speed 10 it should cool significantly. Also are you only testing this sitting in your car or when you are driving?

Okay, another silly question, but do you have the A/C button activated? set to 60 and fan speed 10 it should cool significantly. Also are you only testing this sitting in your car or when you are driving?
It would be very Lucid to "re-imagine" A/C, and promptly belly-flop...

Well, they didn't re-imagine anything in this regard. Even ICE cars don't cool very well idling and trying to cool the car.

I don't know what that means. The Lucid AC is like any other AC. You have the AC button turned on. You have the vents open. You have the recirculation on. Either that, or clearly we are all lying. It was 112 in Phoenix today. I went into the grocery store for 30 minutes. Car parked in full sun. It took a couple minutes to cool down. If people who actually have received their cars feel that the car is not cooling, take it in to the service center as there is likely something wrong. But I and others have posted many times that it works well for us, and seemingly, those comments are brushed aside or not believed.

I will post no more on the AC thing because it obviously makes no difference.

Anyone else notice the interior temp listed in the app is far off from the actual temp? For example, my gf and I went to Costco, left her dog in the car with the climate activated, set for 67, the interior of the car said 74 so i set the climate for 59 and it actually climbed a bit to 75. So instead of worrying about the dog, my gf went out there to check the car and she said it was freezing in the cold, much more like 59 than the 75 the app displayed.
I also find the ambient temp gauge off after sitting in the sun all day, takes most of my 35 min drive home to correct

This is a great idea. And can see if different tint levels have any effect. If anyone wants to do this in San Diego, I’m down!

We did. A couple of the phone apps didn't work to turn on the AC. Of the remaining cars, the reduction in internal temperature varied although I believe only one tinted the windows. For me, the reduction seemed enough to get me in the car and to start driving. But it was morning and, of course, the temperature rises as the morning moves into afternoon.

We did. A couple of the phone apps didn't work to turn on the AC. Of the remaining cars, the reduction in internal temperature varied although I believe only one tinted the windows. For me, the reduction seemed enough to get me in the car and to start driving. But it was morning and, of course, the temperature rises as the morning moves into afternoon.
Oops did I miss this post? Was it timed and measured and all cars parked side by side in equal conditions etc?

We timed and measured it. All cars were parked side by side. Two cars did not seem to start remotely. For the other two, over a 5 minute period, one (mine) went from 103 to 83 and the other went from 104 to 86 I believe. My side and rear windows were tinted (20s). The other car was not.

Having said that, for some folks who were there who were concerned with overhead heat or glare, I think those concerns were mitigated. For one owner who didn't feel the car got cool enough, sitting in a different one led him to believe that there was a problem with his.

Overall, I was pleased with how it turned out. I should note that @blueice89 's Tesla did a very nice job of cooling more quickly than mine. I think we both chalked that up to more complete tinting and lack of a glass roof. Either way though, mine was more than comfortable to get going.

We timed and measured it. All cars were parked side by side. Two cars did not seem to start remotely. For the other two, over a 5 minute period, one (mine) went from 103 to 83 and the other went from 104 to 86 I believe. My side and rear windows were tinted (20s). The other car was not.

Having said that, for some folks who were there who were concerned with overhead heat or glare, I think those concerns were mitigated. For one owner who didn't feel the car got cool enough, sitting in a different one led him to believe that there was a problem with his.

Overall, I was pleased with how it turned out. I should note that @blueice89 's Tesla did a very nice job of cooling more quickly than mine. I think we both chalked that up to more complete tinting and lack of a glass roof. Either way though, mine was more than comfortable to get going.
Amazing and thanks for the report. So just to be clear, none of the cars had extra tint on the windshield and overhead canopy sections? I would expect that most of the heat penetration would come from that. And makes sense that the Tesla performed better if it didn’t have a full glass canopy.

Yes Sir I do have it pressed. I know it is a separate button that needs to be pushed. I can feel Cool air but it’s not cool enough in my opinion.

Here is the data. All four cars parked in the morning AZ sun while we ate breakfast. Like @Maverick said, two of the cars did not start cooling remotely even though the App indicated they were (@Fdmiller and @Adnillien). The coolest car starting out did have 70% tint on the windshield. I expected no difference based on car color since the roof is all glass for all of the cars but it appears that black is the hottest and white is the coolest when windshields are not tinted.

1656186610719.png

Here is the data. All four cars parked in the morning AZ sun while we ate breakfast. Like @Maverick said, two of the cars did not start cooling remotely even though the App indicated they were (@Fdmiller and @Adnillien). The coolest car starting out did have 70% tint on the windshield. I expected no difference based on car color since the roof is all glass for all of the cars but it appears that black is the hottest and white is the coolest when windshields are not tinted.
Interior colors? They will have an impact too.

Yes Sir I do have it pressed. I know it is a separate button that needs to be pushed. I can feel Cool air but it’s not cool enough in my opinion.
Do you have anything that can measure the temperature of the air coming out the vent? You can compare your QX and any other available cars to the GT. At least then you can go back to service with something like "the AC on the GT is outputting at the vent 10 degrees warmer than any other car I measured". It's not meant for measuring air temperature but in a pinch you can use an instant read thermometer like a Thermapen.

Do you have anything that can measure the temperature of the air coming out the vent? You can compare your QX and any other available cars to the GT. At least then you can go back to service with something like "the AC on the GT is outputting at the vent 10 degrees warmer than any other car I measured". It's not meant for measuring air temperature but in a pinch you can use an instant read thermometer like a Thermapen.

I have a temperature gun. If you had asked before I left for the meet, I would have brought it and done the measurement for you. They are pretty inexpensive.

I don't know what that means. The Lucid AC is like any other AC. You have the AC button turned on. You have the vents open. You have the recirculation on. Either that, or clearly we are all lying. It was 112 in Phoenix today. I went into the grocery store for 30 minutes. Car parked in full sun. It took a couple minutes to cool down. If people who actually have received their cars feel that the car is not cooling, take it in to the service center as there is likely something wrong. But I and others have posted many times that it works well for us, and seemingly, those comments are brushed aside or not believed.

I will post no more on the AC thing because it obviously makes no difference.
OK---yours works. And no, that wouldn't make a difference to the people whose A/Cs don't work.

Interesting data. Correct me if I’m wrong, but according to the table only the black car had zero tint anywhere (other than factory standard) which is possibly why it had the highest starting internal temperature. For the AC’s that actually turned on, it seems like 14-20 degrees cooling was achieved within 5 min. For the AC’s that didn’t turn on, we don’t know if that was an AC failure, an app failure, a software failure, or an everything failure. What we do know is that no functional AC conclusions can be drawn since the AC ultimately did not function for those two vehicles.

Interesting data. Correct me if I’m wrong, but according to the table only the black car had zero tint anywhere (other than factory standard) which is possibly why it had the highest starting internal temperature. For the AC’s that actually turned on, it seems like 14-20 degrees cooling was achieved within 5 min. For the AC’s that didn’t turn on, we don’t know if that was an AC failure, an app failure, a software failure, or an everything failure. What we do know is that no functional AC conclusions can be drawn since the AC ultimately did not function for those two vehicles.
Good point about the Black car having no tint. That is more likely the cause of the higher interior temp than exterior color. I have regularly used the remote climate control and brought the temp down from 130's to 90's in 10 minutes so I know it works. I also know that the app has bugs and sometimes like today, it will not start the AC. It has done that to me before.

Back