Horn when Locking and Unlocking

dmike67

Cars
Pure, LS500, Sienna SE
Does anybody know how to disable the horn when locking and unlocking ? I am sure it is something simple I need to change as far as settings, but not seeing it. Thanks in advance !

You can't.

OMG, thats terrible. Horns when locking and unlocking is disruptive to the owner and anybody thats around you when you when it makes that noise. Its also archaic. American cars from 20-30 years ago had that feature, no current cars have that without a disable option. Does anybody know a way to lock and unlock without causing the horn to honk ?

I saw this thread and was thinking... what horn? I wish it would do a quick horn beep when I walk away to make sure it is locked. Since I selected passive lock/unlock, I never heard a horn. I wish I could turn it on. :)

When using passive locking and unlocking, since the horn does not honk, I just yell out "Locking now!" or "Unlocking now!" so that everyone nearby is alerted.

Maybe I’m crazy, but on my Pure there is no horn when locking via the fob. But if I hit the lock a second time there is the horn.
Every single car works like this, I wonder what OP found different?

OMG, thats terrible. Horns when locking and unlocking is disruptive to the owner and anybody thats around you when you when it makes that noise. Its also archaic. American cars from 20-30 years ago had that feature, no current cars have that without a disable option. Does anybody know a way to lock and unlock without causing the horn to honk ?
The horn does not honk when locking and unlocking the vehicle with the key fob. After exiting the vehicle, if the key fob is pressed once, the vehicle will lock, and the horn will not honk. The second time it is pressed, after a second or so, the horn will honk.

I don’t even know what my horn sounds like.

Yah you likely are pressing the fob twice only need to press the fob once to lock and twice to unlock

I saw this thread and was thinking... what horn? I wish it would do a quick horn beep when I walk away to make sure it is locked. Since I selected passive lock/unlock, I never heard a horn. I wish I could turn it on. :)
Me too! I keep on looking back like an idiot to make sure it locks. Not gonna lie still makes me anxious sometimes wondering if it doesn't lock. A beep to let me know it locked with passive lock would be awesome

Me too! I keep on looking back like an idiot to make sure it locks. Not gonna lie still makes me anxious sometimes wondering if it doesn't lock. A beep to let me know it locked with passive lock would be awesome
As long as it can be turned off in the menu. I wouldn’t want to hear the horn in my garage each time there was a passive lock.

I’m trying to picture James Bond getting out of a car, walking away, and then hearing a short “honk” from the horn.

No. Just no.

I’m trying to picture James Bond getting out of a car, walking away, and then hearing a short “honk” from the horn.

No. Just no.
Seriously. For those who don't trust auto lock, just push the handles in to lock the car before you walk away. It takes a few seconds.

As long as it can be turned off in the menu. I wouldn’t want to hear the horn in my garage each time there was a passive lock.
I agree. I would find it extremely annoying to hear the horn go off every time I parked in my garage.

I like it the way it is.

Some people like a sound and some don't. Ideally it should be something that you can turn on and off. I'm using auto lock, and staring back at the car from across the parking lot. Although the longer I have the car I'm looking back less often since it always locks. But sometimes it seems to take a lot longer than other times. I had a locking sound on my last car and kind of liked it.

Seriously. For those who don't trust auto lock, just push the handles in to lock the car before you walk away. It takes a few seconds.
It works but I don't like the fingerprints on a black car. I did trust autolock until it didn't lock once. But that one time was enough to make me worry about it...

For those of us who have passive unlock disabled and thus have to use a rear door handle (or opening the app, or morse code on the fob) to wake the car, will we be using the driver's door handle, or also need to use the rear door handle for this? I know, I can test it myself... but rather I just want to point out that there is a major issue with the unlock support (perhaps in hw, perhaps in sw) still too... and that the engineering team really needs to work through the full decision tree and get all the paths working to reasonable owner expectations. It would seem that lock/unlock is pretty basic, and that the car does still have some issues in this area that really need to be ironed out.. I've talked with service twice on this unlock matter, as well as with CC, and I'm still waiting on action (say nothing of resolution)... sure hope it comes within the car's warranty period.

It works but I don't like the fingerprints on a black car. I did trust autolock until it didn't lock once. But that one time was enough to make me worry about it...
I get it. I'm not fond of fingerprints on my red/black car. And try to avoid getting an extra ones on there. I never noticed them when I had the silver one.

Back