Holes in headlight beams?

A question about these dark quadrangles... I understand their stated purpose, but if I am driving on a flat stretch of road, their shadow is cast on the road surface about 20-30 or so feet in front of me. Unless my headlamps need adjustment, I don't see how that could possibly work. Am I missing something?

I had this very same question and tested it. I don't full understand how they work, because I'd need some way to isolate those LEDs; maybe I should apply some tape. Anyway, it definitely works.

I had this very same question and tested it. I don't full understand how they work, because I'd need some way to isolate those LEDs; maybe I should apply some tape. Anyway, it definitely works.
A quick update... I brought my Pure in for it's first service, because I thought the low beam headlamps were not illuminating far enough forward. They were indeed low, and HOLY CRAP, I can't believe the difference. I have a good test in my parking carage, where
A question about these dark quadrangles... I understand their stated purpose, but if I am driving on a flat stretch of road, their shadow is cast on the road surface about 20-30 or so feet in front of me. Unless my headlamps need adjustment, I don't see how that could possibly work. Am I missing something?
A quick update... When I originally posted the above comment, a few people responded that it was normal for those dark quadrangles to project on the road surface. Well, I just brought my Pure in for it's first service, because I thought the low beam headlamps were not illuminating far enough forward. They were indeed low, and HOLY CRAP, I can't believe the difference. I have a good test in my parking garage, where there is a flat road surface and a wall about 50 feet away. Where before, the wall was dark and those shadows appeared on the road surface, the wall is now nicely lit, and those dark quadrangles appear on that wall a few feet off the ground, which is just where I would have expected them to be. I can't wait to see the difference at night! If any of you are seeing those dark rectangles on the road surface, I would strongly suggest that you bring your car in for an adjustment.

As a sidebar, the staff at the Scottsdale Service Center are great! I had scheduled a 7:00 AM appointment, and had a loaner lined up, but I offered to wait until they could check out whether an adjustment was really needed, or if it was just an old fart's failing eyesight. Well, they not only verified the problem, but had the adjustment done before and the car ready to go before 8:00 AM. They were going to wash the car, but as it was supposed to be raining more this morning, I told them not to bother. Herein lies my stupidity... I could have tooled around in a Grand Touring loaner for a few hours, and then procrastinated my pick-up long enough for the rain to stop have my car nicely detailed car. I'm such a fool!!!

A quick update... I brought my Pure in for it's first service, because I thought the low beam headlamps were not illuminating far enough forward. They were indeed low, and HOLY CRAP, I can't believe the difference. I have a good test in my parking carage, where

A quick update... When I originally posted the above comment, a few people responded that it was normal for those dark quadrangles to project on the road surface. Well, I just brought my Pure in for it's first service, because I thought the low beam headlamps were not illuminating far enough forward. They were indeed low, and HOLY CRAP, I can't believe the difference. I have a good test in my parking garage, where there is a flat road surface and a wall about 50 feet away. Where before, the wall was dark and those shadows appeared on the road surface, the wall is now nicely lit, and those dark quadrangles appear on that wall a few feet off the ground, which is just where I would have expected them to be. I can't wait to see the difference at night! If any of you are seeing those dark rectangles on the road surface, I would strongly suggest that you bring your car in for an adjustment.

As a sidebar, the staff at the Scottsdale Service Center are great! I had scheduled a 7:00 AM appointment, and had a loaner lined up, but I offered to wait until they could check out whether an adjustment was really needed, or if it was just an old fart's failing eyesight. Well, they not only verified the problem, but had the adjustment done before and the car ready to go before 8:00 AM. They were going to wash the car, but as it was supposed to be raining more this morning, I told them not to bother. Herein lies my stupidity... I could have tooled around in a Grand Touring loaner for a few hours, and then procrastinated my pick-up long enough for the rain to stop have my car nicely detailed car. I'm such a fool!!!
Oh yes, they should definitely be straight on the wall in a garage, not on the road surface!

I just took my Pure AWD and her newly-adjusted headlamps out for a nighttime ride. The road and sign visibility were vastly improved, and it looks like coming up on a dark freeway exit will no longer be a nail biter. I wondered if the headlamps might be so high that I would get flashed by oncoming traffic, but it didn't happen once. Nice!

Back