Hold out for the Gravity, or get something else?

A question... how much do you plan to haul?
By hauling I mean taking the garbage cans down the road, picking up bulky items from Home Depot. Haven’t considered my trailer

My wife drives a 2017 F-Pace S. After driving our Air Pure AWD and seeing the Gravity at our local Lucid Studio a little while ago, she wants to reserve the Gravity as soon as it becomes possible. We both test-drove the R1S and nearly put in an order, but she is willing to wait it out. Good things come to those who wait, right?
A few days ago I parked next to a woman driving a R1S and I asked her how she liked it. I expected to hear her gush about the car and its features. Instead she told me she hated it and wished she never bought it. She said it was way to harsh a ride. I asked if she off-roaded it and she said no. So for her, it was an SUV for city driving and not a good one. But to me this reinforces the validity of the saying: different strokes for different folks. It sounds like your wife is on her way to an excellent decision.

I see, but I’m still hesitant. I just don’t trust the Chinese. I don’t want them grabbing even an ounce of my data. No tik tok in my household.
Same for me!
They have repeatedly flouted any semblance of data protection standards and it's clear by their Taiwan/Philippines actions they are escalating into a new Cold War.
Imagine they just decide they don't like what you say/do and cut off access to your car! Imagine that on grand scale? Don't believe that Volvo/Polestar is still Swedish and Lotus is British. They are not. They are beholden to Chinese money and have no say in the software decisions anymore.

I'm all for competition but this is different. It's about explicit CONTROL.

A few days ago I parked next to a woman driving a R1S and I asked her how she liked it. I expected to hear her gush about the car and its features. Instead she told me she hated it and wished she never bought it....
I spoke with a neighbor last night who has owned an R1S for six months and absolutely loves it. Fortunately there's an EV for everyone.

I was in similar situation as you. I couldn’t wait for the gravity so I bought a 2024 Model X. Between the 2 cars, my wife picked the Model X over the Air because she was not happy with the inconsistent and slow unlocking/locking situation as well as asking for pin to drive even though she has her phone key with her. The only thing she wish the Model X has is the powered frunk.

I assured her it should get better over time with OTA updates, but she wasn’t convinced that such a basic function to get into a car would need time to improve.

It also didn’t help my case since the door handle mechanism broke twice.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's what I said, just without all the details you provided...
Yes you did. My response was to MSaunder9430 comment. I accidentally clicked on your post instead of his.

I was in similar situation as you. I couldn’t wait for the gravity so I bought a 2024 Model X. Between the 2 cars, my wife picked the Model X over the Air because she was not happy with the inconsistent and slow unlocking/locking situation as well as asking for pin to drive even though she has her phone key with her. The only thing she wish the Model X has is the powered frunk.

I assured her it should get better over time with OTA updates, but she wasn’t convinced that such a basic function to get into a car would need time to improve.

It also didn’t help my case since the door handle mechanism broke twice.

Hate it when your car doesn’t step up and help your case.

If I was in your situation, I would go with a Lexus EV or (dare I say it?) hybrid. IMO, nothing tops Lexus for safety, reliability and service. My wife has had an SC430 two-seat convertible since 2002, and that car just runs and runs. Even the mechanical hardtop still performs flawlessly. I think she intends to be buried in it!

If I was in your situation, I would go with a Lexus EV or (dare I say it?) hybrid. IMO, nothing tops Lexus for safety, reliability and service. My wife has had an SC430 two-seat convertible since 2002, and that car just runs and runs. Even the mechanical hardtop still performs flawlessly. I think she intends to be buried in it!
Please, no. As much as I like Lexus, their recent offerings are bad. Their EV is a steaming pile of GARBAGE, achieving 120 miles in a real world range test. It also has no frunk, bad cargo, bad visibility, bad efficiency, still has a grill the size of Rhode Island, bad rear legroom, AND isn't fast. In other words, there is no redeeming quality of it.

Thread on it: https://lucidowners.com/threads/what-are-they-thinking.8387/

Please, no. As much as I like Lexus, their recent offerings are bad. Their EV is a steaming pile of GARBAGE, achieving 120 miles in a real world range test. It also has no frunk, bad cargo, bad visibility, bad efficiency, still has a grill the size of Rhode Island, bad rear legroom, AND isn't fast. In other words, there is no redeeming quality of it.

Thread on it: https://lucidowners.com/threads/what-are-they-thinking.8387/

Yikes! I didn't know all that, but I have not been researching cars either. Perhaps a hybid then.

1000020964.jpg

That's bloody impressive- News just out UNDER 0.20 COD.

0.197. Right there in the post.

That’s insane for an SUV.

0.197. Right there in the post.

That’s insane for an SUV.
Actually, that's for the Air, as mentioned in the post. These updates were a couple of months ago and had to do with the redesigned 19 inch wheels (hence the controversy around wheel covers not being interchangeable between the two types).

Actually, that's for the Air, as mentioned in the post. These updates were a couple of months ago and had to do with the redesigned 19 inch wheels (hence the controversy around wheel covers not being interchangeable between the two types).
Ahh. Good point. Even I misread that. Okay. That makes more sense.

Polestar 3's Cd is 0.29. BMW iX 0.25. Gravity should be a little better.

Polestar 3's Cd is 0.29. BMW iX 0.25. Gravity should be a little better.
It's already been quoted as having a drag CD of 0.24, although the rumors are it's already down to 0.23. Am I the only one who would have thought the P3's coefficient to be smaller due to its roofline and aerodynamic features?

It's already been quoted as having a drag CD of 0.24, although the rumors are it's already down to 0.23. Am I the only one who would have thought the P3's coefficient to be smaller due to its roofline and aerodynamic features?
Polestar's designer mentioned that they gave the 3 a rather athletic styling at the expense of some efficiency.

Back