Hold out for the Gravity, or get something else?

mac26mac

Cars
Audi Etron
DE Number
I know this is a Lucid forum. So the answer will be Lucid.

But I am hoping to get some feedback from current owners. I've had my DE for about 14 months now. I love it. But it's a novelty car. I don't depend on it, so it's okay if they take it away for 30+ days to fix it. (Has happened once). But something nags at me about putting my wife (a reluctant early adopter) into a Lucid. She's only driven my DE twice and gave it lukewarm reviews.

My wife drives a 2019 Etron Edition One. As fat and inefficient as that car is, it has been bulletproof reliable, albeit a tad large for her. But, you get in, it starts, it drives, and we're familiar with it (this was VW #19 for me, and VW #3 for my wife). Above all, it is safe. But now it's getting old, a bit long in the tooth, and about to fall out of general warranty (powertrain is longer). And the range...as it's degraded, we're seeing as little as 120 miles in sub-zero temps at 80%.

What should we be looking at (electric only) for her next car? Price is irrelevant up to 200k. Range is key. Safety is more important than range. Wait for the Gravity? Go for something else? (Audi isn't taking special-order Q4 builds, so we'd have to pick one off the lot...and I don't like doing that).

The Gravity will likely have the best range, but will likely be even longer than the Air's 196" or the etron at 193". R1S is even longer at 200".
BMW's iX gets great reviews at 195", if you don't mind its appearance.
I'm waiting for the Polestar 3 or 4 for our next car, as we're a Google household and like the native Google Maps and Assistant.
The Fisker Ocean is a bit of a wild card.

I honestly think you’ll be waiting until end of 24 for the Gravity. If you’re looking for something sooner and must be an SUV with better range consider the EQS SUV. It does get good reviews, and fortunately you can turn off the disco lighting.

I have a Rivian R1S on order, but if price and wait time was not an issue, I would definitely switch to a Gravity. Everything that I’ve driven after receiving my GT has been a disappointment and if the Gravity drives half as well, it would be a no brainer. I’m also sure that the software issues will be worked out by then.

In my opinion, either an iX or a gravity would be good. Your wife does not want to be an early adopter, so iX is a good choice. If you dont think lucid is reliable from your DE experience, then dont get it. Polestar 3 could be good, owned by volvo.

The Gravity will likely have the best range, but will likely be even longer than the Air's 196" or the etron at 193". R1S is even longer at 200".
BMW's iX gets great reviews at 195", if you don't mind its appearance.
I'm waiting for the Polestar 3 or 4 for our next car, as we're a Google household and like the native Google Maps and Assistant.
The Fisker Ocean is a bit of a wild card.
It will be helpful to get more detailed information about your wife's preferences. Does she need/want an SUV vs, a sedan? Is storage important? If yes...back hatch or not? How big a vehicle does she want?

You specifically mentioned range: is there a particular cellar number below which she will not go?

As to power, my own personal view is that for a heavy car like an electric car, HP in the 300s is a tad low; on the other hand, I don't see a real need for HP in the 500s or above (unless one is trying to move a beast like a Hummer). I think HP in the 400s is the sweet spot; nothing wrong with more, just not necessary for me.

But I am hoping to get some feedback from current owners. I've had my DE for about 14 months now. I love it. But it's a novelty car. I don't depend on it, so it's okay if they take it away for 30+ days to fix it. (Has happened once). But something nags at me about putting my wife (a reluctant early adopter) into a Lucid. She's only driven my DE twice and gave it lukewarm reviews.

My wife drives a 2019 Etron Edition One. As fat and inefficient as that car is, it has been bulletproof reliable, albeit a tad large for her. But, you get in, it starts, it drives, and we're familiar with it (this was VW #19 for me, and VW #3 for my wife). Above all, it is safe. But now it's getting old, a bit long in the tooth, and about to fall out of general warranty (powertrain is longer). And the range...as it's degraded, we're seeing as little as 120 miles in sub-zero temps at 80%.

What should we be looking at (electric only) for her next car? Price is irrelevant up to 200k. Range is key. Safety is more important than range. Wait for the Gravity? Go for something else? (Audi isn't taking special-order Q4 builds, so we'd have to pick one off the lot...and I don't like doing that).
If safety is more important than range, you should look at Volvo EX-90. Safety is their top goal. Range should be around 300 +/-.

I just received my Rivian R1S update and it went from July-October 2023 to January-June 2024. I’m not even mad because now it puts me in Gravity delivery territory, which makes my decision a no-brainer. I really hope that Lucid gets competitive with price because I would love to watch a massive migration from Rivian to Lucid. C’mon Lucid, make some pre-order announcements.

I turned 70 waiting over three years for our Lucid Air, and I swore I'd never do that again. I will say that digging and hanging onto every word, jot, rumor, and tittle about the Air during that time was a source of endless entertainment, although with a healthy dollop of aggravation occasionally thrown in.

After living 14 months with our Air, I've become a hard and fast devotee of the brand, have dropped my 3.5-year reservation for a Rivian R1S, and now plan to replace our Honda Odyssey with the Gravity SUV when it comes out. However, I now find that the "Available 1H 2023" language on the website actually means reservations will open up sometime this spring, with production not starting until 1H 2024.

So, I'm likely back at the Air rodeo: building excitement followed by reservation delays, followed by production delays, followed by delivery delays, probably while this and that spec changes along the way. And this time, I'll probably hit 73 while I wait.

So why, damnit, am I doing this all over again?

Because if the Gravity is to SUVs what the Air is to sports sedans, it's going to slay everything else in the niche.

Here's hoping that the Gravity, Lucid -- and I -- all survive the wait.

In my opinion, either an iX or a gravity would be good. Your wife does not want to be an early adopter, so iX is a good choice. If you dont think lucid is reliable from your DE experience, then dont get it. Polestar 3 could be good, owned by volvo.

If you need range options are limited. Gravity would be your best bet. Some people mentioned Polestar. Though it may be a great car, I'm hesitant to buying from the Chinese. Not sure what data they would be collecting with their servers in China.

If you need range options are limited. Gravity would be your best bet. Some people mentioned Polestar. Though it may be a great car, I'm hesitant to buying from the Chinese. Not sure what data they would be collecting with their servers in China.
I mean, thats like saying volvo is chinese.

Fact check: Volvo has many manufacturing plants, including one in China for the XC-90. All Polestar vehicles are made in China and the company itself, which became independent in 2022, is based in Sweden but thought to be largely controlled by Chinese billionaire Le Shafu.

However, I now find that the "Available 1H 2023" language on the website actually means reservations will open up sometime this spring, with production not starting until 1H 2024.

I must correct myself. The "Available 1H 2023" language on the Lucid website actually refers to the Sapphire, not the Gravity. When I heard that Lucid was opening reservations for the Gravity in spring 2023, my apparently faulty memory conflated that with the phrase I had seen relating to the Sapphire. I don't think Lucid has anywhere suggested Gravity deliveries before 2024.

Fact check: Volvo has many manufacturing plants, including one in China for the XC-90. All Polestar vehicles are made in China and the company itself, which became independent in 2022, is based in Sweden but thought to be largely controlled by Chinese billionaire Le Shafu.
Manufacturing, but software and design is another story, right?

Polestar is a stand alone Swedish company that was acquired by Volvo. It shares most auto component parts with Volvo. But it is independently operated. But Geely aquired Volvo as well as Lotus and shares of many auto companies, even some Volkswagen, it’s not as Chinese really even owns Audi and Porsche, German do. And Lotus is still British operated. Geely Holding is even aiming to acquire Aston Marten.
Yeah, Geely Holdings owns Volvo. But they also own many European brands.
Polestar has its own design/engineering team, they do share many parts to cut components cost together with Volvo in supply chain. They are building a new plant in North Carolina at the moment for future Polestar 3 manufacturing.
Manufacturing, but software and design is another story, right?
I would give Polestar software a very high rating,mainly because it is the ONLY Android UI on the market with lots of Google Play Store apps. It is very stable, car never needed to reboot for hiccup. It’s more stable than Tesla and Lucid. But the infotainment UI is just not my cup of tea in the design language. It has HD Google Map 3D graphic on instrument cluster which is very slick. And there are tons of downloadable steaming apps, but so what if they are in Finnish, Swedish, French, German, Dutch… languages, the English language streaming content are British air programming. Maybe after they build an American manufacturing plant, they can have real American streaming app like Disney and Netflix. It has audio streaming Spotify, Tidal, etc.

I turned 70 waiting over three years for our Lucid Air, and I swore I'd never do that again. I will say that digging and hanging onto every word, jot, rumor, and tittle about the Air during that time was a source of endless entertainment, although with a healthy dollop of aggravation occasionally thrown in.

After living 14 months with our Air, I've become a hard and fast devotee of the brand, have dropped my 3.5-year reservation for a Rivian R1S, and now plan to replace our Honda Odyssey with the Gravity SUV when it comes out. However, I now find that the "Available 1H 2023" language on the website actually means reservations will open up sometime this spring, with production not starting until 1H 2024.

So, I'm likely back at the Air rodeo: building excitement followed by reservation delays, followed by production delays, followed by delivery delays, probably while this and that spec changes along the way. And this time, I'll probably hit 73 while I wait.

So why, damnit, am I doing this all over again?

Because if the Gravity is to SUVs what the Air is to sports sedans, it's going to slay everything else in the niche.

Here's hoping that the Gravity, Lucid -- and I -- all survive the wait.
I signed up to this forum 2 weeks after my Air delivery. Before that, my information of Air was strictly from YouTube. I surprised my Tesla friends with Lucid delivery. Have I regret the purchase? NEVER. Maybe griping a little at AGT price comparing to competitors. But I feel I have the best sports sedan in the market, so there is that premium. I am hoping Gravity will be the best luxury sport SUV in the market. My wife just love that Rivian R1S, it’s her soccer mom’s car replaced her Honda Odyssey at last.

I signed up to this forum 2 weeks after my Air delivery. Before that, my information of Air was strictly from YouTube. I surprised my Tesla friends with Lucid delivery. Have I regret the purchase? NEVER. Maybe griping a little at AGT price comparing to competitors. But I feel I have the best sports sedan in the market, so there is that premium. I am hoping Gravity will be the best luxury sport SUV in the market. My wife just love that Rivian R1S, it’s her soccer mom’s car replaced her Honda Odyssey at last.
The big question is, will you replace the R1S with the Gravity?

All the suggestions are ignoring that you would take a Q4 and coming up with large suvs. Midsize suggestion would be EQE suv, Fisker, and possible 2024 models of XC60, Acura ZDX, Lotus eletre and Genesis electrified GV70. All are new first gen models so no predictions on reliability

The big question is, will you replace the R1S with the Gravity?
R1S is our family keeper.

Gravity now compete with Cyber Truck on production 2024 delivery.

Back