Highway Assist

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
I have a question about the highway assist. I've only had the car two weeks and haven't activated it yet. What I'd like to do is have the car center itself in the lane, but let me control the speed. Does the Lucid have a mode like that? How do I set it up?

Wondering if anyone in the community has experienced this.

I have an Air GT with dreamdrive pro and surreal sound. My HA used to worn just fine previously and I’m familiar with how to toggle it on and off.

I can no longer get highway assist to work. The function defaults to adaptive cruise and no matter how long I hold the leftmost button on the steering wheel, I can’t enable highway assist.

Any thoughts? No other functionality is missing. I have no obvious way of testing out the LiDAR, but I have no warnings or any notifications of any sensor malfunctions. Is it at all possible that the wrong software update was pushed and disabled this feature?
Hi, @Dhimiter. I just sent you a DM. I do recommend contacting your service center if you haven't done so already.

Interesting. So I had to have my bumper replaced (separate issue - typically New England asshole hit car while parked, left no note). HA was not working prior to this, but the reason I mention it is that Lucid did calibrate the sensors and cameras after the bumper and seemingly without issue.

Since you brought it up, what is it about New England states and drivers hitting other cars with their bumpers? I’ve seen motorists in NYC do it a few times, while trying to wedge their car into a parallel parking space. They did it like it was nothing, like there was no need to consider another person’s property. You’d get in a serious fight if you did that out here in the west. Then again, I’ve seen numerous cars in NYC and in NJ with these big, black rubber thingies draped over the entire length of the rear bumper; I presume to guard against a thing like that.

I love Highway Assist (aka lane centering), and recommend anyone who has yet to try it to give it a shot. It TOTALLY changes the way I drive. Now, on the highways, the car drives me. I’m relaxed, listening to great music enjoying the big sky in front of me.

I do have to pay attention to everything on the road, because I know the car won’t avoid objects such as tire treads, potholes, debris, etc. I find myself using Waze a lot more, modifying Waze’s map by identifying objects on the road, cars on the shoulders, etc. while the car does most of the driving. I say ‘most’ of the driving because occasionally I do want to intercede. When I passing a truck, for instance, I will gently hit the accelerator which automatically disengages HA so then I take control of the wheel to pass the truck (I prefer to nudge the car to the left of the center while passing trucks and having HA automatically disengage is perfect). When I take my foot off the accelerator after passing the truck, HA reengages seamlessly. Also, sharp turns at high speeds need some help as well. I’d rather take over. No big deal. Doesn’t happen often, but important that I take over when it does.

Anyway, HA is one of the best features and I’m stoked that it’s this good already. It’s likely to continue to improve. Any word when Dream Drive Pro is to come out? Last I heard, it was going to be September. I assume that DDpro will remove the requirement to touch the wheel every 20 seconds so long as you are looking forward, similar to GM’s Super Cruise and Ford’s Blue Cruise, both excellent technology which also continues to improve. 10 years from now, the cars NOT doing the driving will be the dangerous ones (if not already).

Having HA is immensely better than not having it while on road trips of any significant length. And with OTA updates, it’s improved so now my only issue with it is that it still can’t handle sharper curves at moderate speeds. And I think it performs worse in the dark but that could just be my imagination. Absolute game changer on long road trips though. Combine HA with space concept, comfy adjustable seats, climate control, massage, plush floor carpets, and surreal sound pro - gives me a sense of ‘futuristic luxury ride’.

Regarding having lane centering but also manually controlling speed - I guess you can do it if you restrict yourself to using the toggle to accelerate and decelerate 🤷🏼‍♂️

Since you brought it up, what is it about New England states and drivers hitting other cars with their bumpers? I’ve seen motorists in NYC do it a few times, while trying to wedge their car into a parallel parking space. They did it like it was nothing, like there was no need to consider another person’s property. You’d get in a serious fight if you did that out here in the west. Then again, I’ve seen numerous cars in NYC and in NJ with these big, black rubber thingies draped over the entire length of the rear bumper; I presume to guard against a thing like that.
"Touch Parking" has long been an accepted requirement for putting too many cars into too few parking spaces. People who live in NYC accept a lot of things most civilized people would rebel at.

"Touch Parking" has long been an accepted requirement for putting too many cars into too few parking spaces. People who live in NYC accept a lot of things most civilized people would rebel at.
This is why when I lived in New York, I didn't have a car.

This is why when I lived in New York, I didn't have a car.
Me also. When I moved into the city I sold my car and didn't buy another until I moved out. Heck, I lived in the Village and when my wife and I were taking a taxi uptown, we would often just pay it off at Herald Square and jump into the subway; the surface roads were just too slow.

Yup. This is 100% how you park in NYC. Loved there for most of my life before CA.

I love Highway Assist (aka lane centering), and recommend anyone who has yet to try it to give it a shot. It TOTALLY changes the way I drive. Now, on the highways, the car drives me. I’m relaxed, listening to great music enjoying the big sky in front of me.

I do have to pay attention to everything on the road, because I know the car won’t avoid objects such as tire treads, potholes, debris, etc. I find myself using Waze a lot more, modifying Waze’s map by identifying objects on the road, cars on the shoulders, etc. while the car does most of the driving. I say ‘most’ of the driving because occasionally I do want to intercede. When I passing a truck, for instance, I will gently hit the accelerator which automatically disengages HA so then I take control of the wheel to pass the truck (I prefer to nudge the car to the left of the center while passing trucks and having HA automatically disengage is perfect). When I take my foot off the accelerator after passing the truck, HA reengages seamlessly. Also, sharp turns at high speeds need some help as well. I’d rather take over. No big deal. Doesn’t happen often, but important that I take over when it does.

Anyway, HA is one of the best features and I’m stoked that it’s this good already. It’s likely to continue to improve. Any word when Dream Drive Pro is to come out? Last I heard, it was going to be September. I assume that DDpro will remove the requirement to touch the wheel every 20 seconds so long as you are looking forward, similar to GM’s Super Cruise and Ford’s Blue Cruise, both excellent technology which also continues to improve. 10 years from now, the cars NOT doing the driving will be the dangerous ones (if not already).
That’s a good idea on how to sped pass trucks.

Hi SF Bay Area Lucid drivers! Over the weekend, I attempted to engage Highway Assist on I-5 between, US 101, and 580. I couldn't get Highway Assist to engage. I could get Adaptive Cruise to work and it worked great. Switching from Adaptive Cruise to HA never happen regardless how many I tried it. Not sure if you have similar issue.

Should I contact Lucid Customer Service regarding my car's Dream Drive Pro issue?

Hi SF Bay Area Lucid drivers! Over the weekend, I attempted to engage Highway Assist on I-5 between, US 101, and 580. I couldn't get Highway Assist to engage. I could get Adaptive Cruise to work and it worked great. Switching from Adaptive Cruise to HA never happen regardless how many I tried it. Not sure if you have similar issue.

Should I contact Lucid Customer Service regarding my car's Dream Drive Pro issue?
My car does this occasionally on roads where I have used HA before. It seems to be a software bug that is fixed with any reset. I would email customer care just so that they hear about it from multiple people.

I'm in PA, so I've no experience with your routes, but I would DEFINITELY call Lucid. Don't forget setting HA is a two-step process: first click HA button to the left and make sure the steering wheel icon on the screen comes on and is grey. It just says the system is on but not engaged. Then press the cruise control button on the turn dial when you have the speed you want. It should then set the cruising speed and the steering wheel icon to the upper left will light up when steering engages. The car can sometimes jerk you a little as it figures out where the center is. For me it almost always jerks me to the right before settling into the center. I mention this because I never set it when there's a big truck or solid barrier to my right - even though the car doesn't cross the lane, it's still unnerving because it happens so fast. (Kia is much more gentle. Lucid just grabs that wheel!)

HA is so helpful on highways. Basically, any time you would set normal cruise control, you'll be doing the same but also having the car to stay in the middle of the lane as well as maintaining speed and safe distance of the car in front. It's not fully automated driving - you'll eventually know when to take over and when to sit back and enjoy the ride. For me, lane centering is a game changer. I can't wait until DDpro is activated and we won't need to touch the wheel every 30 seconds.

Anyway, call them. I've found them friendly and (mostly) helpful. They may be able to identify if something is wrong with your vehicle hardware and need to send out a service van.

I'm in PA, so I've no experience with your routes, but I would DEFINITELY call Lucid. Don't forget setting HA is a two-step process: first click HA button to the left and make sure the steering wheel icon on the screen comes on and is grey. It just says the system is on but not engaged. Then press the cruise control button on the turn dial when you have the speed you want. It should then set the cruising speed and the steering wheel icon to the upper left will light up when steering engages. The car can sometimes jerk you a little as it figures out where the center is. For me it almost always jerks me to the right before settling into the center. I mention this because I never set it when there's a big truck or solid barrier to my right - even though the car doesn't cross the lane, it's still unnerving because it happens so fast. (Kia is much more gentle. Lucid just grabs that wheel!)

HA is so helpful on highways. Basically, any time you would set normal cruise control, you'll be doing the same but also having the car to stay in the middle of the lane as well as maintaining speed and safe distance of the car in front. It's not fully automated driving - you'll eventually know when to take over and when to sit back and enjoy the ride. For me, lane centering is a game changer. I can't wait until DDpro is activated and we won't need to touch the wheel every 30 seconds.

Anyway, call them. I've found them friendly and (mostly) helpful. They may be able to identify if something is wrong with your vehicle hardware and need to send out a service van.
Thanks dahan55. Yes, I have used that process trying to engage. It just stay on Adaptive Cruise instead. If I short press on the DD button after ADCC is enabled, it will disable ADCC. If I press and hold the DD button for 2 seconds after ADCC is enabled, it didn't do anything. So I started to press and hold the DD button a bit longer 3 seconds, 5 seconds, etc. My didn't go into HA. It stated at ADCC.

I have the same issue. Resetting did not fix this problem and the car will be going to service to look into what might causing it. I should note, that HA previously used to work just fine.

Me also. When I moved into the city I sold my car and didn't buy another until I moved out. Heck, I lived in the Village and when my wife and I were taking a taxi uptown, we would often just pay it off at Herald Square and jump into the subway; the surface roads were just too slow.
I had a girlfriend years ago who was 32yo and did not know how to drive a car. She had no interest in learning, if she ever traveled, she would take taxis or public tranportation or someone else would drive. Her parents retired and moved to Florida, and bought her a really nice car there to try to motivate her to learn. The only condition was that she had to fly down and pick it up. Finally, after a couple of months, she let me teach her to drive. She went down and picked it up from her parents and drove half a mile down the street and picked me up. We (mostly me) drove it back to Manhattan (really sure her dad knew). I was down with that since I had never driven an Aston Martin! She put it into the garage at her condo, and it hardly ever moved for the next three years except when we would take it out of the city for a trip. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that thing is still sitting in that garage with maybe 4000 miles on it.

That’s a good idea on how to sped pass trucks.
To me, high speed passing on uphill roads is the test I want to apply, not 0-60. Just about every EV today is fine at leaving a red light or merging onto a highway. One of the great things about the Lucid Air is that it has that capability and doesn't give out at high speeds like a lot of EVs.

Highway assist is all over the highway. It just wanders and yes, I’m using highway assist and not speed set. A pop up last night that interior looking out was blocked for a moment. Are any of you experiencing this? Sold tesla for lucid. So different and much more confident with far fewer sensors. Hope this is fixed. Car yells at me to pay attention when I am paying attention.

Highway assist is all over the highway. It just wanders and yes, I’m using highway assist and not speed set. A pop up last night that interior looking out was blocked for a moment. Are any of you experiencing this? Sold tesla for lucid. So different and much more confident with far fewer sensors. Hope this is fixed. Car yells at me to pay attention when I am paying attention.
If your dash says Highway Assist at the top and it is not staying within a lane, there is something wrong with your car and you should call service. It is exceptional at staying inside a lane, and alerts you when you must take over.

Call service.

Are you using highway assist or adaptive cruise control? Highway assist includes steering, adaptive cruise control only controls speed.

You can toggle off the eye monitoring in your settings...

Back