Hidden Repair Issues To Consider If Involved In An Accident

DJL

Verified Owner
I love my current state regarding my knowledge of what to look out for if involved in an accident with my not so soon to be delivered AGT. I define that state as “fat, dumb and happy”! I have never had a significant accident with any of the ICEs I have driven, but have been rear-ended a few times and had to endure the lost of the vehicle while the minor repairs were made. Most of the repairs were replacing the bumper (back in the day when there were bumpers), replacing broken tail lights, and banging out a corner panel.
With that in mind, I began researching what to expect if my Lucid gets damaged. Gulp! What I learned is a bit scary. It is not that Lucid will be much different than any other EV that is involved in an accident, it is just that there are so many delicate electronic components, chips, and connections that can be impacted, even if they are not located anywhere near where the collision impact is. In fact, an electronic component, chip or connection may initially work just fine but becomes dysfunctional hours, days, weeks or months later if it is loosened or otherwise impacted. Case on point, just think about all of those battery cell connectors where just one or two fail. To put in terms that one may related to better, think of a computer which is dropped and still works only to die later because the initial impact was not severe enough to break a component but a connection was loosened and it took a while for heat to built up to destroy the linkage. Ugh!

Here is an article from Repairer Driven News that discusses such issues. To read it, just click HERE. What caught my eye and struck concern down my toes were these statements:
“ ’Certainly that technology has advanced in traditional vehicles as well, but it’s on the cutting edge with electric vehicles. And so when you have a front end accident, the likelihood of secondary and tertiary systems being impacted across that electric vehicle is far greater than on a vehicle that has just a traditional internal combustion engine.'
'For instance, he said, because the systems are so interconnected, “a front end accident has the potential to actually impact systems on the right rear corner of that vehicle.' ”

I offer this only to help enlighten should any of us be involved in an accident.

I think you'll find this is the case with any car that is loaded with tech. They've got sensors, cameras, etc. everywhere which is why when involved in an accident most have to go back to the dealer for a re-calibration as part of the repair process. Regardless of whether it's an ICE vehicle or EV there is a reason why no one really wants the car back after a serious accident because 9 times out of 10 they're just not the same as they were before. The more tech the car has in it, the more likely they are to be written off especially in states like CA where labor rates are high to repair.

The biggest concern for me being in an accident with the Lucid is parts. They're clearly struggling to get new cars off the production line so it's not like they're going to have spare parts laying around for vehicle repairs. New customers will always take priority over existing in that case due to a new car sale bringing in more revenue vs a repair. When you're parts constrained, repairs can wait.

I think you'll find this is the case with any car that is loaded with tech. They've got sensors, cameras, etc. everywhere which is why when involved in an accident most have to go back to the dealer for a re-calibration as part of the repair process. Regardless of whether it's an ICE vehicle or EV there is a reason why no one really wants the car back after a serious accident because 9 times out of 10 they're just not the same as they were before. The more tech the car has in it, the more likely they are to be written off especially in states like CA where labor rates are high to repair.

The biggest concern for me being in an accident with the Lucid is parts. They're clearly struggling to get new cars off the production line so it's not like they're going to have spare parts laying around for vehicle repairs. New customers will always take priority over existing in that case due to a new car sale bringing in more revenue vs a repair. When you're parts constrained, repairs can wait.
At least before, it was the opposite with Lucid. All the service guys have been saying that they put existing cars as a priority for parts over cars being built.

At least before, it was the opposite with Lucid. All the service guys have been saying that they put existing cars as a priority for parts over cars being built.
Yeah probably why one owner here got the rear motor replaced in a week.

Back