Hail damage in Chicago

shredderc

Verified Owner
Cars
Air
We had golf ball-sized hail a few days ago in the Chicago suburbs, and my car was pummeled for at least a couple of minutes. Got some dings on the hood and driver's side door. More concerning is the crack in the front windshield. Haven't noticed anything on the glass roof, though. I filed a claim with State Farm yesterday, Good Friday. Does anyone know if the whole roof and windshield would have to be replaced, or are they separate pieces?

I remember a few years ago there was A huge hail storm in the Houston area and many cars were totaled. Good luck.
Totaled, wow. I could see if they were sitting in a dealer lot. I would not want to buy something like that. My car seems to drive ok. My real concern is the cracked windshield. I may seek paintless debt repair for the dings. For the glass, does anyone recommend Safelite, or a regular body shop?

A local PDR tech said the hood's double layer and aluminum composition makes pulling those dents very difficult (Teslas have the same problem). Replacement may be the only option😰.

A local PDR tech said the hood's double layer and aluminum composition makes pulling those dents very difficult (Teslas have the same problem). Replacement may be the only option😰.
It is very hard to rework Aluminum. Some ahole hit both of my passenger side doors on my BMW 530e and left no note. Of course, the insurance company instructed the body shop to try to repair it and as they knew, it didn't work right. So they had to replace the door skins on both passenger side doors.

Aluminum is great for reducing the weight of the car; not so great for reworking.

That is REALLY unlucky. I'm also in the Chicago burbs (Naperville) and when I looked outside and saw the golf ball sided hails coming down, I immediately checked to see if I left my Touring outside (luckily it was in the garage). Gold Coast Auto Body is a Lucid-Certified Repair Shop but specifically with State-Farm, they'll likely end up not wanting to pay their full amount (they charge higher for labor, etc than State Farm's In-Network does so that discussion can be a bit of a pain in the ass). Sorry about your loss 😔

Update: PDR removed several dents, but the ones on the hood and one on the rear side panel are inaccessible. It was recommended to take the car to a body shop. Anyone know of shops in the Chicago area that work with Lucid and can get parts? Lucid named Gold Coast Auto Body and O'hare Auto Body.

Update: PDR removed several dents, but the ones on the hood and one on the rear side panel are inaccessible. It was recommended to take the car to a body shop. Anyone know of shops in the Chicago area that work with Lucid and can get parts? Lucid named Gold Coast Auto Body and O'hare Auto Body.
I currently have my car at Gold Coast Auto Body. Very professional, and communication is good.

Thanks. I had a car there about 20 years ago, haha. I'm sure a lot changed. Did you get a loaner from Lucid, or your own insurance company?

Gold Coast Auto Body is good and Lucid certified -- they might quote a bit on the higher end though but it's expected as Lucid certified facilities typically have higher cost.

What was your outcome? They replaced the hood? Sadly my Lucid Air GT was damaged tonight in a storm. Dime-sized dents on hood. Couldn’t see any on the trunk upper panel but I’m sure there have to be some. The black window trim had a dent as well.

I submitted a claim to USAA.

Attachments

• IMG_8050.jpeg
    IMG_8050.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8047.jpeg
    IMG_8047.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8046.jpeg
    IMG_8046.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
What was your outcome? They replaced the hood? Sadly my Lucid Air GT was damaged tonight in a storm. Dime-sized dents on hood. Couldn’t see any on the trunk upper panel but I’m sure there have to be some. The black window trim had a dent as well.

I submitted a claim to USAA.
Yes, hood had to be replaced. That's the tldr. To elaborate, I took the car to the body shop when they said they had the necessary parts. I learned later the plan was to have "their pdr guy" assess before ordering a hood. I wish I had insisted this assessment take place before I left the car. "Shockingly," the pdr didn't work, and they had to order a new hood, which took a while, as you can imagine. Another rate-limiting step was the calibration of sensors by Lucid. They have to tow the car to Lucid service for this, and that transportation ate up a day each way. The calibration itself takes a day. Then there's a day where each side says "*They're* supposed to call *us*." And then there's the weekend. So, a one day calibration takes 6-7 days. Lesson being, you need to stay on top of the process so you don't start coming out of pocket for a rental. Did your roof glass survive?

Thanks for your response.

As far as I can tell, the roof glass survived.

The nearest service center to me is 250 miles away in Houston. Ugh.

Back