Gravity Testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree. Lucid needs to hit it out of the park with Gravity or they risk not surviving! SUV are (unfortunately) where the lions share of the market is. Lucid should take ALL of the lessons learned on the Air and should also have focus groups with current Air owners to get feedback before launch. Hopefully this is in the plan @mcr16

I have a pre-increase R1S reservation and without knowing any details on the Gravity, I plan on keeping it. Perhaps there will be an Air loyalty/ conquest offer from Lucid.
And I bet Lucid focusing longer on higher trims slow rolling out Pure has lost out many Pure reservations to GV60, BMW iX, BMW i4, MB EQE, Model-S, Taycan, Polestar 2, Audi E-Tron, and more along the way waiting. Competition is stiff, everyone is pushing fast trying to get snowball effect as early as possible.

In terms of body design, you’re probably right. In terms of little things like what wipers to use and how they attach, they’re likely still making tweaks.
I'm going to disagree (I'm prepare for the slings and arrows): I think they'd be nuts to design G with a goal of seating 6-7 adults (with bags?) comfortably ---how much demand is there?

I'd gamble that 90% of buyers who require a third row need it as a last resort, and if they use it regularly it's for kids 5--15.

I don't see Lucid buyers carpooling daily with fellow office/factory workers.

Certainly there are exceptions (hmp10) who take long drives with more than 5 adults...but car companies have to design for the sweet spot of buyers

I'm going to disagree (I'm prepare for the slings and arrows): I think they'd be nuts to design G with a goal of seating 6-7 adults (with bags?) comfortably ---how much demand is there?

I'd gamble that 90% of buyers who require a third row need it as a last resort, and if they use it regularly it's for kids 5--15.

Certainly there are exceptions (hmp10) who take long drives with more than 5 adults...but car companies have to design for the sweet spot of buyers
Nope, it's fully adult size third row

Completely agree. Lucid needs to hit it out of the park with Gravity or they risk not surviving! SUV are (unfortunately) where the lions share of the market is. Lucid should take ALL of the lessons learned on the Air and should also have focus groups with current Air owners to get feedback before launch. Hopefully this is in the plan @mcr16

I have a pre-increase R1S reservation and without knowing any details on the Gravity, I plan on keeping it. Perhaps there will be an Air loyalty/ conquest offer from Lucid.
My R1S delivery estimate was just pushed up until the fourth quarter of this year. I’m definitely going to complete the purchase unless Lucid gives me a compelling reason to switch to the Gravity and wait until next year.

I totally agree that Lucid would save a lot of money and heartache in the long run by offering current owners a Beta version purchase of the Gravity in consideration for attractive pricing, extensive customer feedback and the execution of an NDA. What happened with the Dream and GT rollout can’t happen again and they have to get this community involved before they go mass market with the Gravity.

There are four Honda Odysseys and two Toyota Siennas in our extended family. My brothers- and sisters-in-law are now grandparents whose kids and grandkids live near them, and these minivans are put to constant vacation and outing use for their passenger/cargo capacity. I really don't think our use case is as much of an outlier as you assume. This is why the roads where we live are crawling with Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, Navigators and other such vehicles that won't even fit in most garages down here.

If Lucid can pull of the same packaging miracle for a 6-7 seat SUV that they did for a 4-5 passenger sedan, there will be little on the market approaching its space-to-size magic . . . and nothing in the EV space.

There are four Honda Odysseys and two Toyota Siennas in our extended family. My brothers- and sisters-in-law are now grandparents whose kids and grandkids live near them, and these minivans are put to constant vacation and outing use for their passenger/cargo capacity. I really don't think our use case is as much of an outlier as you assume. This is why the roads where we live are crawling with Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, Navigators and other such vehicles that won't even fit in most garages down here.

If Lucid can pull of the same packaging miracle for a 6-7 seat SUV that they did for a 4-5 passenger sedan, there will be little on the market approaching its space-to-size magic . . . and nothing in the EV space.
Say, why didnt you opt for a escalade or something like that over a odyssey? Other than exterior dimensions of course. And thats why lucids packaging is what I hope and think to be fantastic.

Say, why didnt you opt for a escalade or something like that over a odyssey? Other than exterior dimensions of course. And thats why lucids packaging is what I hope and think to be fantastic.

The Honda handles like a large car with a surprisingly peppy engine on a well-engineered suspension. The large, truck-based SUVs handle like, well, trucks. (We rented an Expedition one time at a vacation destination. I felt as if I were driving a small motor home.) And the Escalade is way too blingy for me.

The Honda handles like a large car with a surprisingly peppy engine on a well-engineered suspension. The large, truck-based SUVs handle like, well, trucks. (We rented an Expedition one time at a vacation destination. I felt as if I were driving a small motor home.) And the Escalade is way too blingy for me.
Now I know why you didnt get a gold dream lol

If Lucid delivers on an SUV design the way they delivered on a sedan design, I think we're going to see the most roomy, luxurious, powerful, and sure-footed SUV on the planet.

Here's hoping.

If Lucid delivers on an SUV design the way they delivered on a sedan design, I think we're going to see the most roomy, luxurious, powerful, and sure-footed SUV on the planet.

Here's hoping.
But if (big "if") you're right, will it look like a bakery truck (Tahoe, Rivian, et.al)? If so, I'm not a buyer...and would it then really be in the SUV segment (where L desperately needs to be)?

Rhetorical design and marketing questions popping up at a challenging time for high-end EVs

But if (big "if") you're right, will it look like a bakery truck (Tahoe, Rivian, et.al)? If so, I'm not a buyer...and would it then really be in the SUV segment (where L desperately needs to be)?

Rhetorical design and marketing questions popping up at a challenging time for high-end EVs
The wait list for the R1S may disagree with you but that's at a different price point

Last edited:

My friends would laugh at me when I would tell them that my Odyssey was “a lot of fun to drive!” Whereas a Dodge Caravan or worse, a Toyota Sienna, would get weak-kneed and soggy taking a 270 freeway onramp, my Odyssey would take that same 270 with brio; and an almost exhuberant confidence that belied its matronly proportions.

Honda’s way with automotive engineering (think, poor man’s BMW), would make its way even into the unwanted and often overlooked minivan class. I loved driving every Odyssey I ever owned.

My friends would laugh at me when I would tell them that my Odyssey was “a lot of fun to drive!” Whereas a Dodge Caravan or worse, a Toyota Sienna, would get weak-kneed and soggy taking a 270 freeway onramp, my Odyssey would take that same 270 with brio; and an almost exhuberant confidence that belied its matronly proportions.

Honda’s way with automotive engineering (think, poor man’s BMW), would make its way even into the unwanted and often overlooked minivan class. I loved driving every Odyssey I ever owned.
We have 2 Odyssey’s, a Lucid AGT and a BMW 440 convertible. I admit the Odyssey is my least favorite car to drive but compared to other 7 seaters, it’s a joy. Handles OK. Acceleration OK, etc. You get my point.

The wait list for the R1S may disagree with your but that's ar a different price point
The "S" in SUV once stood for ...well...Sport!

I see Tahoe, Rivian as DUVs--delivery/utility vehicle

Just hoping Lucid doesn't fall into that hole, in the misguided attempt to be all things to a few people.

No need to cross swords--at least until they actually reveal what's behind the curtain (Lucid always seems to have multiple burners going, but not many on High)

Somehow the rather boxy and expensive Range Rovers that ply our roads in Naples don't really come across as bakery trucks to me or, apparently, to their innumerable buyers. And I've never heard anyone question whether it's really an SUV.

Range Rover -- despite a shabby reputation for quality -- has had no trouble finding a lucrative market at a price point similar to where the Gravity will probably land. My guess is that Lucid's risk in the Gravity will not lie in convincing people to buy a squared-off design, but in convincing the people who buy such designs in their millions that an EV is the way to go.

I think enough of the Gravity design has now emerged into view for you already to know its styling will not be for you. For me, what's emerged gives me hope that this will be the SUV that doesn't force me into another Odyssey to replace the two I've already had.

The "S" in SUV once stood for ...well...Sport!

"Sport" means more than just a pseudo-fastback look; to many it means great road dynamics. I have a feeling that the Gravity's dynamics will embarrass any of the models that first touted the "sport" moniker.

And "U" once stood for utility . . . something that some SUVs abandoned when stylists started trying to create the illusion they were really just high-riding sport sedans. The Cayenne was the only design that came close to pulling that off in my book, but it carries no more people than a sedan.

One area I hope is improved if for no other reason than necessity for the Gravity is the A/C. As someone who lives in the desert South West, I would say the A/C in the Air acceptable at best and otherwise under capacity.

I also have an Odyssey and due to the interior space, the A/C demands for cooling that van require the delivery of much higher capacity. Thinking about the Gravity, it will have more interior space to cool than the Air, and as such, I hope Lucid accommodates for this fact.

Somehow the rather boxy and expensive Range Rovers that ply our roads in Naples don't really come across as bakery trucks to me or, apparently, to their innumerable buyers. And I've never heard anyone question whether it's really an SUV.

Range Rover -- despite a shabby reputation for quality -- has had no trouble finding a lucrative market at a price point similar to where the Gravity will probably land. My guess is that Lucid's risk in the Gravity will not lie in convincing people to buy a squared-off design, but in convincing the people who buy such designs in their millions that an EV is the way to go.

I think enough of the Gravity design has now emerged into view for you already to know its styling will not be for you. For me, what's emerged gives me hope that this will be the SUV that doesn't force me into another Odyssey to replace the two I've already had.

"Sport" means more than just a pseudo-fastback look; to many it means great road dynamics. I have a feeling that the Gravity's dynamics will embarrass any of the models that first touted the "sport" moniker.

And "U" once stood for utility . . . something that some SUVs abandoned when stylists started trying to create the illusion they were really just high-riding sport sedans. The Cayenne was the only design that came close to pulling that off in my book, but it carries no more people than a sedan.
Lucid is gonna compete with the rrover ev, which is good.

Remember the WOW factor when we all test drove the Air? It's going to be the same with the Gravity. Those waiting for a Lucid SUV have to be salivating. Just need to be patient a bit.

Remember the WOW factor when we all test drove the Air? It's going to be the same with the Gravity. Those waiting for a Lucid SUV have to be salivating. Just need to be patient a bit.
Patience kills

Lucid would be wise to consider "custom" configurations of the 2nd and 3rd rows. For instance, the 2nd row could be a bench option or 2 swiveling captain's chairs. The 3rd row could be removable. The KIA Carnival MPV interior would be a good place to look for starters. If Lucid could "hump" the space under the seats without raising the height, that could add another 100 miles of range. Personally, I'd like a shorter 2-row SUV but I guess I'll have to wait for the next model (or 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back