Gravity Launch

side profile.png

Seems pretty close to the Gravity side profile. Thoughts?

The R1S is a 7,000 pound SUV that is capable of crossing the Rio Grande and drives way better than any 7 seat SUV I’ve ever driven. It drives like an SUV, because it’s an SUV, not a crossover. The R1S is in mass production and an order that is placed today will be fulfilled in 2025, if the buyer is lucky. The market has spoken about how it feels about the R1S and Lucid would be wise to view them as their sole competitor, because they are.

We can’t really compare the R1S to the Gravity because the Gravity doesn't exist and there is almost nothing meaningful posted from Lucid about it. The assumption that the market would pay 150k+ and ignore tech deficiencies was a bad one when Lucid rolled out their early models and it would be ill advised for them to think the public will forgive it with the Gravity. I’m sure it will drive “better” than the R1S, but the typical SUV buyer won’t notice, won’t care and at even the same price will choose the R1S because if the overall utility and the rock solid tech. Until Lucid can start offering more stable and better tech, they have to be price conscious. Otherwise they will repeat all of the same mistakes they made with current line up.

I disagree - I will be shocked if the Gravity is something completely different from the Air and if it's anything like the Air in terms of quality, comfort and drive I don't see how you compare that to the R1S. R1S is a different category alltogether, and yes people will definitely notice how much better the drive will be because that's what the luxury SUV market is. You're buying comfort and luxury along with the fun aspect of driving a car that can handle well. The software is something that can improve over time, that's the best part about it. I don't agree with Lucid's strategy of how they've handled that roll out but I definitely do not think its a hindrance and a reason for why they'd price is much lower than other competitive LUXURY SUVs. I'm sorry but the R1S is not a luxury SUV and the target market for both cars differs pretty greatly when you factor in all the outdoorsy features that Rivian has tailored towards it. I'd more compare the Gravity to be similar to an EQS SUV or a Cayenne EV.

I disagree - I will be shocked if the Gravity is something completely different from the Air and if it's anything like the Air in terms of quality, comfort and drive I don't see how you compare that to the R1S. R1S is a different category alltogether, and yes people will definitely notice how much better the drive will be because that's what the luxury SUV market is. You're buying comfort and luxury along with the fun aspect of driving a car that can handle well. The software is something that can improve over time, that's the best part about it. I don't agree with Lucid's strategy of how they've handled that roll out but I definitely do not think its a hindrance and a reason for why they'd price is much lower than other competitive LUXURY SUVs. I'm sorry but the R1S is not a luxury SUV and the target market for both cars differs pretty greatly when you factor in all the outdoorsy features that Rivian has tailored towards it. I'd more compare the Gravity to be similar to an EQS SUV or a Cayenne EV.
It’s funny because when the DEs and GTs rolled out, we (including me)used to argue that people will pay the big premiums for the luxury and drive quality with the confidence that “the tech will come”. That strategy didn’t work and the sales numbers shocked even the biggest pessimists. Peter R used to talk about how we were competing against the Mercedes S Class not Tesla. You don’t hear that anymore because everyone knows that Tesla is the real competition. While we destroy Tesla on luxury and ride quality, we lose big time on tech and charging. All of the price reductions and special offers prove that Tesla is and has always been the Apex competitor and most of the Lucid line up is now priced against Tesla’s.

Substitute Tesla for Rivian and that’s where we are with the Gravity. Price absolutely matters and if they price it for perfection, it’s going to land like the GTs. If they price it to be competitive with the Rivian, many will buy it because of the value proposition. Like it or not, tech is a big part of the luxury package. Lucid simply doesn’t have it yet and “better than before” doesn’t equal good. I keep my GT with the hope it eventually gets good, but the general public has proven to be much more fickle.

It’s funny because when the DEs and GTs rolled out, we (including me)used to argue that people will pay the big premiums for the luxury and drive quality with the confidence that “the tech will come”. That strategy didn’t work and the sales numbers shocked even the biggest pessimists. Peter R used to talk about how we were competing against the Mercedes S Class not Tesla. You don’t hear that anymore because everyone knows that Tesla is the real competition. While we destroy Tesla on luxury and ride quality, we lose big time on tech and charging. All of the price reductions and special offers prove that Tesla is and has always been the Apex competitor and most of the Lucid line up is now priced against Tesla’s.

Substitute Tesla for Rivian and that’s where we are with the Gravity. Price absolutely matters and if they price it for perfection, it’s going to land like the GTs. If they price it to be competitive with the Rivian, many will buy it because of the value proposition. Like it or not, tech is a big part of the luxury package. Lucid simply doesn’t have it yet and “better than before” doesn’t equal good. I keep my GT with the hope it eventually gets good, but the general public has proven to be much more fickle.
Hang on - what “tech” is it that Rivian has that lucid doesn’t?

Hang on - what “tech” is it that Rivian has that lucid doesn’t?
That subject deserves an entire thread and @Tesla2.0 could definitely add to the subject. I’ll just add a few for now.

1. Sentry mode/ motion cam
2. One touch geofenced garage and gate opener.
3. An incredible app, which includes geofenced scheduled charging, heated steering wheel/seat cooler controls, dog mode. You can chat with Rivian, submit tickets and schedule service from the app.
4. A hot spot, which makes it so you have a WiFi connection anywhere. This also means that the apps always work and music NEVER drops. 2, 12 V outlets means you can plug a laptop in and work from anywhere when coupled with the hot spot.

The list of what it does better is another question. The most important thing is that the software is solid and doesn’t need resets to make things work as designed. All of the Dream Drive Pro equivalents are included in the base package. Here are just a few.

1. ABRP, with full integration into the UX. The mileage remaining estimates take into account the route, weather and driving style. The initial estimates are spot on and 340 miles of estimated range gets you 340 miles of range, with the ability to cut power by 1/2 to get more.
2. Highway assist that actually works great. Touch sensing, without all the nanny restrictions.
3. Front, rear and side cameras that work at any speed. The side cameras are super handy in measuring distance to the curb.

There is a whole other list of features that may or may not match up to the Gravity. We will see once the Gravity comes out. The most important feature is the full integration into the Tesla Supercharger Network, which is going to give Rivian a major competitive advantage over Lucid.

That subject deserves an entire thread and @Tesla2.0 could definitely add to the subject. I’ll just add a few for now.

3. An incredible app, which includes geofenced scheduled charging, heated steering wheel/seat cooler controls, dog mode. You can chat with Rivian, submit tickets and schedule service from the app.
4. A hot spot, which makes it so you have a WiFi connection anywhere. This also means that the apps always work and music NEVER drops. 2, 12 V outlets means you can plug a laptop in and work from anywhere when coupled with the hot spot.

The list of what it does better is another question. The most important thing is that the software is solid and doesn’t need resets to make things work as designed. All of the Dream Drive Pro equivalents are included in the base package. Here are just a few.

1. ABRP, with full integration into the UX. The mileage remaining estimates take into account the route, weather and driving style. The initial estimates are spot on and 340 miles of estimated range gets you 340 miles of range, with the ability to cut power by 1/2 to get more.
2. Highway assist that actually works great. Touch sensing, without all the nanny restrictions.
3. Front, rear and side cameras that work at any speed. The side cameras are super handy in measuring distance to the curb.

There is a whole other list of features that may or may not match up to the Gravity. We will see once the Gravity comes out. The most important feature is the full integration into the Tesla Supercharger Network, which is going to give Rivian a major competitive advantage over Lucid.
Weren't Sentry mode and geofenced opening just added?

While I am seriously considering buying an R1S, the drive train, traction inverter and battery technology is old. The 400 volt technology renders the R1S to permanatly slower charging and reduced drive train efficiency. No LiDAR will limit that capability for level 3 ADAS. OTAs will not fix the lack of ADAS and drive train tech. Your comments on software are spot on, but with OTAs for both, the differences are only true for this moment in time.

I agree UX1.0 hurt this brand image with ongoing stigma as some new EV purchasers still believe in some outdated review content on social media.

I wanted a Tesla MY for kid in college, so I can occasionally drive it too. But she rather drive Honda Accord hybrid and explained to me campus frat boys are annoying with Tesla and Musk evangelism and if she drives Tesla, she may either be pressured to join their circle or gets mistaken as one of those fanatics, so she would rather be low key which I respect.

Now reading so many NHTSA complaints disproportionally to Tesla products compare to other vehicles on the road, I changed my mind as I don’t want a car that can harm my family. Especially with many accidents and couple dozens death and ongoing accusations of phantom braking and unintentional acceleration, it is very concerning. I know someone who owns Tesla had a scare case of unintentional acceleration but corrected in time before hit the wall.

Back to Gravity. There are currently 3 upcoming EVs intrigue me on the market —- CyberTruck, Aptera and Gravity. I’m very satisfied with our household EVs. But I am interested to see final product of above three to see if they are worthy of our other ICE phasing out.
My cousin had two phantom braking episodes on the I-10 going to LA, luckily no one was behind him! He is selling his Tesla for a big loss, he is scared to drive it.

Gravity will be more luxurious than a Rivian. Rivians are built to be off roaded. There is a difference. The reason AIr didn't sell that well was because it is a Sedan. I bet you there will be more buyers of a 100k Gravity than a 100k Air. The SUV saved Porsche...remember?

Gravity will be more luxurious than a Rivian. Rivians are built to be off roaded. There is a difference. The reason AIr didn't sell that well was because it is a Sedan. I bet you there will be more buyers of a 100k Gravity than a 100k Air. The SUV saved Porsche...remember?
I know, everybody knows, no point has ever been made that it won’t be more luxurious. Luxury is only one aspect, which is the point. The second point is that tech is part of luxury and if you are going to chase the massive purchase price, you better deliver the tech on day 1. The third point we agree. If the Gravity is 100k, they will sell more than any other Air. If they chase the 150-200k price point, it’s game over.

I’m a little confused by this one. The hotspot still uses cellular under the hood. That means that the apps, by definition, cannot always work and music, by definition, cannot never drop. It doesn’t magically obtain internet access from some magical wifi hotspot it has inside; it still runs on cellular and lets you connect to *its* cellular network, that’s all.

As for the outlets, just plug a usb-c cable into any of the usb-c outlets and charge your laptop if you’d like; for a 12v plug you’d still need an inverter which is a pain.

That said, the rest is software and I agree Rivian has more features at the moment, some of which were just added very recently. I’m unconcerned about that, as the software will continue to get up to par and all vehicle software will eventually converge on some set of features most people agree are important.

I was trying to see if there was some nifty non-software tech that Rivian had over Lucid, and it doesn’t sound like there is; that’s okay, they’re just ahead on the software game and Lucid is ahead on the drivetrain game.

Tesla is not the competition, it never has been. These cars were priced to be a lot more than the top end Teslas. And honestly Tesla is more of a mid-range car company because their two best selling cars by a far, far, far margin are the Model Y and Model 3. Lucid doesn't have an equivalent to either one of those. If Tesla stuck with being a Model S and X only company with keeping their refresh prices I'd agree they'd be more of a direct line competitor. The Porsche Taycan is a competitor to the Lucid Air, the MB EQS is a competitor to the Lucid Air. These cars were designed with luxury in mind, comfort in mind, not cutting corners. Honestly the only thing that Lucid and Tesla have in common is that they're both newer Auto manufacturers.

Coming from Tesla I can the Air is quite a step up in a lot of ways. I expect the same for Gravity when comparing to the X. I'm not disagreeing with you that people do deserve a more mature technology in terms of robust software with the feature set that Tesla has set. They are the gold standard. But I do think they have plenty of time to turn this around or take it in a different direction alltogether if they want. I say again, MB and Porsche's tech doesn't exactly scream feature rich and robust. Neither system is like Tesla or Rivian. But those brands garner their price point because of quality of build, driving aspect and overall comfort of each person in the car. I think we've all gotten spoiled by the extra features that make a Tesla what it is, and in due time a lot of companies will mature to match some of those features. When pricing a luxury car, I promise you tech isn't above comfort, driving and interior build quality when it comes to pricing these cars. I'm hopeful as much as the next person that Lucid prices it well for everyone to buy it - I'd love for it to be less. I'm just telling you what I believe Lucid thinks of itself as - it competes against BMW, MB and Porsche before it does against Tesla and Rivian. They've proven that with how they've priced their cars to this point along with their target market and the quality they've put towards developing the Lucid Air.

I know, everybody knows, no point has ever been made that it won’t be more luxurious. Luxury is only one aspect, which is the point. The second point is that tech is part of luxury and if you are going to chase the massive purchase price, you better deliver the tech on day 1. The third point we agree. If the Gravity is 100k, they will sell more than any other Air. If they chase the 150-200k price point, it’s game over.
Agree about the tech...they should figure it out by then. Hopefully they will throw more money at this. One thing that made me buy my first Tesla was actually the software...it just worked! Lucid missed the ball on this one.

😂 You try to get me in trouble! 👿 😂

I don’t want to bash Lucid Air. It is a fine specimen of hardware engineering marvel. However, as modern days things going into digital tech such PC, smart phone and internet, the Graphical User Interface (GUI) is also commonly tech part of luxury. Lucid is indeed still working in progress. Not to take away the milestones they did in the last 20 months of all the bugs fixes and features they ardently pushed out. The GUI aspect is still a bit behind in Rivian and I’m sure will get caught up eventually.

But what I also do agree with @Drendino is on the business execution of Lucid management. Because of Lucid prematurely pushed out a product that had unstable software with many OTA update patches, it cascaded to marketing strategy deterioration and customer care team overwhelmed with bugs issues. Organization like Edmunds forked out $140k + tax thought that price tag should deserve better experience and thus gave bad publicity review. There are many early adopter owners also not as patient or forgiving as I am also shared same sentiment as Edmunds. I don’t blame them because those guys are the standard demographic of buying German highend luxury of ‘that just work!’

Lucid UX2.0 has done justice to rectify the overwhelming noises of complaints, but stigma is already created. Today’s Lucid GUI is much better than 2020 Dec GUI and will only get better from here. So whoever bought Pure trim actually are blessed don’t have to experience what early DE and GT owners went through.

While I am seriously considering buying an R1S, the drive train, traction inverter and battery technology is old. The 400 volt technology renders the R1S to permanatly slower charging and reduced drive train efficiency. No LiDAR will limit that capability for level 3 ADAS. OTAs will not fix the lack of ADAS and drive train tech. Your comments on software are spot on, but with OTAs for both, the differences are only true for this moment in time.

Yes, the 400v architecture suppose be slower. However, it seems that at the moment, EA, Tesla Magic Dock and other charging stations with Signet brand doesn’t do charging curve dancing and yield Rivian 205kW charge and long on curve before taping off.

LiDar has its potential on full implementation, but until that aspect is fully delivered and with GUI visualization, Rivian’s camera implementation on surrounding traffic visualization on dashboard is very impressive.

Both Lucid and Rivian used good space concept to design their cars, but Lucid can package better because their miniaturized drivetrain vs Rivian huge quad motors.

I’ll enumerate a few features you missed.
- Option to switch various gauge viewing on instrument cluster with touch of steering wheel dial. ie TPMS, Navigation map, instantaneous efficiency curve.
- Traffic visualization on instrument cluster like Tesla FSD, also detects blind spot alert on same visualization
- 4 directional dash-cam recording to external USB-drive for constant recording.
- Emergency recording for incidents review gets triggered whenever abrupt brake or turn to avoid situation.
- 9 frequency bands sound equalizer
- Dynamic sound adjustment based on vehicle speed for phone call or music
- Save GPS destinations for quick navigation access
- Fully configurable driving modes
(Lucid has Smooth, Swift & Sprint x Regen level = 6 permutations and 3 quick access defaults)
Rivian has suspension, regen, stability, height for 60 permutations and 10 quick access default (All-Purpose, Sport, Conserve, Snow, All-Terrain off-road, Soft Sand, Rock Crawl, Rally, Drift and Towing)
- More camera views at any speed (lower resolution than Lucid intentionally for bandwidth latency). Front, Rear, Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left and Bird Eyes View (not dynamically like Lucid to change 3rd person view)
- Gear Guard file cabinet for surveillance video clips
- More Energy consumption info - % battery driving, % cabinet & BMS temperature control, % other accessories.
- Service mode menu open to user when switching tire, wiper blades, show and tell for mode etc etc

Above are things Lucid can add to its software, below is hardware not in Lucid hardware.
- Hidden flood lights behind rear view mirror casing (Lucid has cool matrix-headlight)
- Air suspension leveling car to slanted ground
- quad motor torque vectoring (stationary tank turn is capable, but it is turned off by Rivian for tire threads abuse)

Both brands are constantly adding new software features with OTA updates. So I feel blessed for anyone buying these design from ground up EV instead of legacy auto EV that just leverage their system from ICE platform like BMW.

Software and hardware aside, the Gravity still needs to look good. The jury is still out on this. From everything I've seen, I'm highly skeptical the Gravity will be a nice looking suv. My opinion of course.

The Rivian SUV looks amazing.

Looks matter.

Software and hardware aside, the Gravity still needs to look good. The jury is still out on this. From everything I've seen, I'm highly skeptical the Gravity will be a nice looking suv. My opinion of course.

Looks matter.
Your opinion of course.

The Rivian SUV looks amazing?
From a mile away, maybe.
It's not as hideous as, let's say, a Pontiac Aztek, or Glenfrome Facet (#1 by far), but amazing? It is not.
My opinion of course.

Sorry @Tesla2.0 , I know you like yours.

Looks matter.
Personally, I don't think the R1S looks that good; it's okay. If it wasn't for those hideous headlights, I would have considered making a reservation.
I agree that until we actually see the Production version, we cannot really know if the Gravity will beat out the R1S on looks, for starters. Given the current available options, I am happy to stick with my very handsome ICE V8 2021 X7.
In a recent interview at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Peter said that the Gravity prototypes we've been seeing driving around California, are Alphas. Who knows what changes they've made to the Betas, let alone the final Production ones to be revealed in November.

Personally, I don't think the R1S looks that good; it's okay. If it wasn't for those hideous headlights, I would have considered making a reservation.
I agree that until we actually see the Production version, we cannot really know if the Gravity will beat out the R1S on looks, for starters. Given the current available options, I am happy to stick with my very handsome ICE V8 2021 X7.
In a recent interview at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Peter said that the Gravity prototypes we've been seeing driving around California, are Alphas. Who knows what changes they've made to the Betas, let alone the final Production ones to be revealed in November.
I really hope the production looks different.

Back