Gravity Launch

Logically wouldn’t the pricing of Gravity be only slightly more than the current pricing?
Using BMW as a comparison, their X7 (SUV) base price is lower than the 7 Series sedan while the X5 is higher than the 5 Series sedan.

In other words, who knows.

Using BMW as a comparison, their X7 (SUV) base price is lower than the 7 Series sedan while the X5 is higher than the 5 Series sedan.

In other words, who knows.
The thing about the x7 is that it is little more than an extended x5, same goes for the gls/gle. A new 7 series and S class is at a FAR higher standard than those suvs.

Lucid may not like it, but their competition really is the R1S, which absolutely owns the 7 seater electric SUV market. I believe they start at around $80k and go up to around $95k. So, the 20k premium would put them around 100-120k. Lucid loses on tech and utility, but will likely win on being a bit more premium and drive more like a luxury crossover (I think). The market is not going to accept a $100-120k premium over the R1S. There is no possible way. They are also not going to sell a whole lot of Gravitys.

I wish Lucid would communicate with their customers better to keep rumors like this out of the equation.
I'm not saying I disagree but I think the starter price is usually higher up front and then it tends to lower down. I'm more in agreement with the 180-200k pricing for the top end in line with the top trim of the Air at its peak pricing. But I can also see that dip a bit. I mean it's all speculation really, I agree to sell more they will have to make this thing in line with similar SUVs. We also don't truly know what 7 rows means with the Gravity.

If the comfort level of the 3rd row is R1S standards, they absolutely should price it similarly because the R1S was very disappointing for me in person when I saw the space as a whole. I didn't get to test drive it but I did hear that the ride quality was also not up to the standards of even the Model X.

I'm not saying I disagree but I think the starter price is usually higher up front and then it tends to lower down. I'm more in agreement with the 180-200k pricing for the top end in line with the top trim of the Air at its peak pricing. But I can also see that dip a bit. I mean it's all speculation really, I agree to sell more they will have to make this thing in line with similar SUVs. We also don't truly know what 7 rows means with the Gravity.

If the comfort level of the 3rd row is R1S standards, they absolutely should price it similarly because the R1S was very disappointing for me in person when I saw the space as a whole. I didn't get to test drive it but I did hear that the ride quality was also not up to the standards of even the Model X.

Well I bought a slightly used R1S in faith and haven’t been disappointed. I still have 1 R1S in reservation since last year. My wife told me not to cancel yet. I am also interested to have Gravity in reservation, if VW doesnot shock me with longer wheel based ID.Buzz with compelling features.

I can personally say R1S is the best all around SUV right now, and currently the usable 3rd row for an EV. (MX and MY are not usable at all) although not as luxurious and spacious as Navigator and Escalade, but just work and info-tech is premium enough to catch up to Tesla. I’m at pre-retirement stage wanting something comfortable like MB S-Class. Lucid fits my criteria for EV. I just hope Gravity styling will win me over, looking forward for comfort, space and range.

Whoever first come to market has market share advantage. Lucid waited lower Air trim too long to populate the street. Rivian had huge advantage as first EV truck and first real 3rd row SUV EV in this space. Now they are concerned about CyberTruck. I hope Lucid can accelerate this time around after Gravity launch in November, and hopefully correct its mistake from 2022 Air production ramp delays to lose reservation orders to abundant market entrants.

So many new EV entrants now, brutal hard business. I really want to see Lucid succeed!

I hope you are wrong because if that ends up being the launch price, I don’t think they will sell 500 Gravitys. For a 100k premium over its only real competitor, the tech better be groundbreaking because car buyers in this economy are not going to value ride quality that high, especially when the tech is lacking. As much as it pains me, Dream Drive Pro is not even half as good as Rivian’s stock tech and it’s hard to imagine a scenario where that changes if they are launching this year. If Lucid gets the price “right”, the tech won’t be a problem and then people can find value in the Gravity being a little more premium than Rivian.

I hope you are wrong because if that ends up being the launch price, I don’t think they will sell 500 Gravitys. For a 100k premium over its only real competitor, the tech better be groundbreaking because car buyers in this economy are not going to value ride quality that high, especially when the tech is lacking. As much as it pains me, Dream Drive Pro is not even half as good as Rivian’s stock tech and it’s hard to imagine a scenario where that changes if they are launching this year. If Lucid gets the price “right”, the tech won’t be a problem and then people can find value in the Gravity being a little more premium than Rivian.
I'm sure Gravity will handle better and look better inside and outside! Personally, I hate the headlights on the Rivian- looks like a cartoon. And I drove the pick up, felt like I was riding a horse. I'm sure the SUV is not much different.

R1S ride quality is significantly better than Model X.

I don't think the point is even disputable.

We've had a 2015 Model S, now have a 2021 Model S (both with air suspensions), my brother has a 2018 Model 3 (coil suspension), and I've taken two test drives in Model X's (one with the Raven suspension). Every Tesla I've ever been in rides like a buckboard.

I can't speak for it directly since I didn't get to test drive the R1S, but the 2023 Model X was pretty solid. Not anywhere as buttery as the Lucid Air though.

I also can't imagine that the R1S is in the same category as Lucid in terms of ride quality, the complaints I've seen with it is in regards to the jerkiness of acceleration and the fact that the big tires hurt it more than help it. If the Gravity has anywhere near the ride quality than the Air does and you mix the luxurious interior with quality third row space, there's no reason at all to price the Gravity similar to the R1S - at that point it would blow the R1S out of the water even without considering the tech. The tech will come in time, it's not like Rivian's tech is anything to write home about. Everyone's chasing Tesla in that regard. Lucid can easily pivot too in regards to this - they haven't exactly been adamant in keeping their own software locked down like Rivian has. Mercedes Benz and Porsche also lack in software, but they're priced the way they are because they're luxury cars. Lucid doesn't have that cache yet but I think it's more going to be tailored towards german market cars and brands than these American ones I feel in terms of both pricing and quality.

We've had a 2015 Model S, now have a 2021 Model S (both with air suspensions), my brother has a 2018 Model 3 (coil suspension), and I've taken two test drives in Model X's (one with the Raven suspension). Every Tesla I've ever been in rides like a buckboard.

I can 2nd that. Every Model-3 and Model-Y Uber ride was painful to my butts in the backseats, even Polestar 2 rides better despite it is cramped. Model-S and Model-X are more compliant than M3 and MY but with contrived road noise reduction using manufactured sound interference. I feel even our Honda Accord rides better than any Tesla. And I do feel R1S rides like lighter F-Series despite 7200 lbs weight.

I can 2nd that. Every Model-3 and Model-Y Uber ride was painful to my butts in the backseats, even Polestar 2 rides better despite it is cramped. Model-S and Model-X are more compliant than M3 and MY but with contrived road noise reduction using manufactured sound interference. I feel even our Honda Accord rides better than any Tesla. And I do feel R1S rides like lighter F-Series despite 7200 lbs weight.
I thought my M3 felt like my 2013 Hyundai Elantra in terms of ride quality

I can't speak for it directly since I didn't get to test drive the R1S, but the 2023 Model X was pretty solid. Not anywhere as buttery as the Lucid Air though.

I also can't imagine that the R1S is in the same category as Lucid in terms of ride quality, the complaints I've seen with it is in regards to the jerkiness of acceleration and the fact that the big tires hurt it more than help it. If the Gravity has anywhere near the ride quality than the Air does and you mix the luxurious interior with quality third row space, there's no reason at all to price the Gravity similar to the R1S - at that point it would blow the R1S out of the water even without considering the tech. The tech will come in time, it's not like Rivian's tech is anything to write home about. Everyone's chasing Tesla in that regard. Lucid can easily pivot too in regards to this - they haven't exactly been adamant in keeping their own software locked down like Rivian has. Mercedes Benz and Porsche also lack in software, but they're priced the way they are because they're luxury cars. Lucid doesn't have that cache yet but I think it's more going to be tailored towards german market cars and brands than these American ones I feel in terms of both pricing and quality.
Perhaps the recent price cuts will be permanent? Lucid prices the Gravity at a 15k premium to the Air. Base Gravity would start at 93k. But I wish they make sure it has ventilated front seats at least at that price range.

The R1S is a 7,000 pound SUV that is capable of crossing the Rio Grande and drives way better than any 7 seat SUV I’ve ever driven. It drives like an SUV, because it’s an SUV, not a crossover. The R1S is in mass production and an order that is placed today will be fulfilled in 2025, if the buyer is lucky. The market has spoken about how it feels about the R1S and Lucid would be wise to view them as their sole competitor, because they are.

We can’t really compare the R1S to the Gravity because the Gravity doesn't exist and there is almost nothing meaningful posted from Lucid about it. The assumption that the market would pay 150k+ and ignore tech deficiencies was a bad one when Lucid rolled out their early models and it would be ill advised for them to think the public will forgive it with the Gravity. I’m sure it will drive “better” than the R1S, but the typical SUV buyer won’t notice, won’t care and at even the same price will choose the R1S because if the overall utility and the rock solid tech. Until Lucid can start offering more stable and better tech, they have to be price conscious. Otherwise they will repeat all of the same mistakes they made with current line up.

The R1S is a 7,000 pound SUV that is capable of crossing the Rio Grande and drives way better than any 7 seat SUV I’ve ever driven. It drives like an SUV, because it’s an SUV, not a crossover. The R1S is in mass production and an order that is placed today will be fulfilled in 2025, if the buyer is lucky. The market has spoken about how it feels about the R1S and Lucid would be wise to view them as their sole competitor, because they are.

We can’t really compare the R1S to the Gravity because the Gravity doesn't exist and there is almost nothing meaningful posted from Lucid about it. The assumption that the market would pay 150k+ and ignore tech deficiencies was a bad one when Lucid rolled out their early models and it would be ill advised for them to think the public will forgive it with the Gravity. I’m sure it will drive “better” than the R1S, but the typical SUV buyer won’t notice, won’t care and at even the same price will choose the R1S because if the overall utility and the rock solid tech. Until Lucid can start offering more stable and better tech, they have to be price conscious. Otherwise they will repeat all of the same mistakes they made with current line up.
Slightly different market. R1S is a true off roader, therefore road handling not as good. Yeah, fast in a straight line but thats all. Gravity is not an offroader. Its a crossover. The Gravity will ride and drive better on the road. And will look better if you go by the Air styling. Hardly anyone who buys an SUV goes off road. I don't think that will be a big issue for Lucid. Rivian doen't have that " expensive look " that you get with a Lucid. Lucid is competing in the luxury SUV market.

Also, the base model will come under 100k. Tech has improved tremendously- there was a reason they taught themselves with the low volume AIr....so they will be better prepared when the high volume SUV comes to the market. But agree, tech needs more improvement.

Slightly different market. R1S is a true off roader, therefore road handling not as good. Yeah, fast in a straight line but thats all. Gravity is not an offroader. Its a crossover. The Gravity will ride and drive better on the road. And will look better if you go by the Air styling. Hardly anyone who buys an SUV goes off road. I don't think that will be a big issue for Lucid. Rivian doen't have that " expensive look " that you get with a Lucid. Lucid is competing in the luxury SUV market.

Also, the base model will come under 100k. Tech has improved tremendously- there was a reason they taught themselves with the low volume AIr....so they will be better prepared when the high volume SUV comes to the market. But agree, tech needs more improvement.
I view the Gravity as a crossover "ish" vehicle, not an SUV. The RS1 is an SUV. I consider them different markets.

R1S ride quality is significantly better than Model X.

I don't think the point is even disputable.

Is it quieter too? Our Model X roars, with a lot of road noise and wind noise intruding into the cabin. Ours is a 2018-build. I understand the newer Model Xs have improved sound insulation.

I own Air 16 months. I probably reset this car for some software issues about 50+ times. I’m tolerant bc I believe Air software will improve overtime just like how early Model-S has improved. Now I own R1S 7 months, I was surprised I only needed to reboot this EV twice on very minor hiccups.

So what is correlation here? I read in Rivian forum, early R1T adopters had to deal with much reboot frustration, then guys like me with R1S had less headache and more features to enjoy with. So I hope it is the same case with Gravity over Air as in the same software progression. Software stability experience is part of customer satisfaction and itself extends marketing as potential buyers are reading forum. I think Lucid overlooked that and Rivian put strong emphasis in the beginning. R1S will sell many folds over R1T ever because of that advantage of more mature software renders more satisfaction and virility of social media marketing.

Granted Air has added tons of features, new UX20, better Highway Assist and Apple CarPlay platform, it is much smoother than it was in 2022; however, Rivian still has tremendous more tech features than Air. And frankly I think in today’s luxury market, it is must to include many of those slick gimmicky features. I laugh when people tells me Tesla is luxury. To me Tesla is not luxury, but premium product for being tech-rich. Nowadays, YouTube reviewers focus more on tech, specs over comfort. Many reviewers confused premium with luxury. If any auto company wants to compete in tiday’s fierce market, they have to benchmark Tesla’s tech. Because ignoring that aspect can be fatal.

P.S. - I personally very tired reading Tesla fanbois bragging their infotech on social media. I hope Lucid management reads this and expand and motivate software team to keep improving current product, so we as owners can evangelize them in pride as well.

Until Lucid can start offering more stable and better tech, they have to be price conscious. Otherwise they will repeat all of the same mistakes they made with current line up.

I think the only "mistake" Lucid made with the current lineup was to release the Air before the software was stable. That, more than anything else, cast a heavy pall over the early press reviews of the Air and were a nasty and lasting black eye on the brand. The other issues with early build Airs were more the symptoms of having to get up the manufacturing quality curve that all automakers experience with new models, such as the ones I've experienced with Chevrolet, MB, Audi, Jaguar, and Honda. I've had more than my share of the latter issues with the two early-production Airs we've owned, but the car remains the best overall balance of power, handling, roominess, ride, comfort, structural solidity, and style I've ever owned.

We also own a Model S Plaid with a software suite that is widely thought to be the industry standard. It easily trounced Lucid's software during Lucid's misbegotten UX 1.0 era. However, things changed with UX 2.0, and the subsequent updates have brought Lucid's software features and stability into the big leagues. At this point, I actually prefer the tech features of the Air to the Model S.

After two Teslas, we will never buy another one. After two Lucid Airs, we plan to reserve a Gravity as soon as reservations open up.

I think the only "mistake" Lucid made with the current lineup was to release the Air before the software was stable. That, more than anything else, cast a heavy pall over the early press reviews of the Air and were a nasty and lasting black eye on the brand. The other issues with early build Airs were more the symptoms of having to get up the manufacturing quality curve that all automakers experience with new models, such as the ones I've experienced with Chevrolet, MB, Audi, Jaguar, and Honda. I've had more than my share of the latter issues with the two early-production Airs we've owned, but the car remains the best overall balance of power, handling, roominess, ride, comfort, structural solidity, and style I've ever owned.

We also own a Model S Plaid with a software suite that is widely thought to be the industry standard. It easily trounced Lucid's software during Lucid's misbegotten UX 1.0 era. However, things changed with UX 2.0, and the subsequent updates have brought Lucid's software features and stability into the big leagues. At this point, I actually prefer the tech features of the Air to the Model S.

After two Teslas, we will never buy another one. After two Lucid Airs, we plan to reserve a Gravity as soon as reservations open up.

Same. We will never buy another Tesla. We plan on replacing our remaining Model X with the Gravity.

I agree UX1.0 hurt this brand image with ongoing stigma as some new EV purchasers still believe in some outdated review content on social media.

I wanted a Tesla MY for kid in college, so I can occasionally drive it too. But she rather drive Honda Accord hybrid and explained to me campus frat boys are annoying with Tesla and Musk evangelism and if she drives Tesla, she may either be pressured to join their circle or gets mistaken as one of those fanatics, so she would rather be low key which I respect.

Now reading so many NHTSA complaints disproportionally to Tesla products compare to other vehicles on the road, I changed my mind as I don’t want a car that can harm my family. Especially with many accidents and couple dozens death and ongoing accusations of phantom braking and unintentional acceleration, it is very concerning. I know someone who owns Tesla had a scare case of unintentional acceleration but corrected in time before hit the wall.

Back to Gravity. There are currently 3 upcoming EVs intrigue me on the market —- CyberTruck, Aptera and Gravity. I’m very satisfied with our household EVs. But I am interested to see final product of above three to see if they are worthy of our other ICE phasing out.

Back