• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gravity Launch

That thing will be gigantic, highly inefficient, and have a huge heavy battery. Think people will buy it?

GM has a 70k plus waiting list for the Hummer EV which is more inefficient than the Cadillac IQ if for no other reason the massive offroad tires. And it is also 6.67" wider than the Silverado EV.

Escalade IQ will be at least thrice as efficient as ICE Escalade.

GM has a 70k plus waiting list for the Hummer EV which is more inefficient than the Cadillac IQ if for no other reason the massive offroad tires. And it is also 6.67" wider than the Silverado EV.

Escalade IQ will be at least thrice as efficient as ICE Escalade.
Escalade IQ didnt release yet and is not open for reservations yet, but otherwise spot on.

This is exactly where we are about replacing our Odyssey. I canceled our Rivian R1S reservation after a 4-year wait once the cramped third row emerged, and this will be the litmus test for whether the Gravity can replace our Odyssey.

While styling is a big element when I buy most cars, my criteria for roomy people/cargo haulers are somewhat different, and excitement is pretty far down the list. Room, handling, convenience features, and reasonable pep top the list, and I have high hopes for the Gravity on these scores.
I actually did come upon you in the Rivian forum, when I was doing some research on legroom. Not only the third row legroom, but the stats support a surprisingly cramped 2nd row. Then again, even Lucid has "35" inches of legroom when in reality it is much more.

That thing will be gigantic, highly inefficient, and have a huge heavy battery. Think people will buy it?

The ICE version is a huge, inefficient, heavy lumbering chrome- and taillight-fest . . . yet they're all over the roads where I live.

I don’t think there is anything better than a Honda Odyssey for your purposes. I’m sure the Gravity will be more spacious than the R1S in the 3rd row, but nothing will be as good. Our R1S will be a soccer mom carpool machine. The max age of anyone in our 3rd row will be 17, so it works for us. We are coming from a Q7 and that 3rd row is tight!

A lot of this will depend on wheelbase. Derek Jenkins has said that the Gravity cabin, although on the Air platform, will be pushed further forward in the Gravity to yield a significantly longer wheelbase and a vehicle several inches longer overall. The Odyssey currently is just over 9" longer than the Air overall, and its wheelbase is only 1.6" longer than the Air's. So, between lengthening the Air's wheelbase and dispensing with an internal combustion engine, there's hope the Gravity can match -- or even better -- the Odyssey in longitudinal cabin space.

Rivian made what seems to me an odd choice in making the R1S wheelbase 15" shorter than the R1T wheelbase. Perhaps they did it to facilitate off-roading . . . but that would be another indicator of how biased the R1S is toward "adventure" use rather than toward everyday utility for passengers and cargo. I'm not saying it's not an excellent vehicle, but I'm not sure it's really meant to appeal to people who need space for more than 4 adults.

A lot of this will depend on wheelbase. Derek Jenkins has said that the Gravity cabin, although on the Air platform, will be pushed further forward in the Gravity to yield a significantly longer wheelbase and a vehicle several inches longer overall. The Odyssey currently is just over 9" longer than the Air overall, and its wheelbase is only 1.6" longer than the Air's. So, between lengthening the Air's wheelbase and dispensing with an internal combustion engine, there's hope the Gravity can match -- or even better -- the Odyssey in longitudinal cabin space.

Rivian made what seems to me an odd choice in making the R1S wheelbase 15" shorter than the R1T wheelbase. Perhaps they did it to facilitate off-roading . . . but that would be another indicator of how biased the R1S is toward "adventure" use rather than toward everyday utility for passengers and cargo. I'm not saying it's not an excellent vehicle, but I'm not sure it's really meant to appeal to people who need space for more than 4 adults.
I think Rivian made a mistake with that wheel base. I don’t really love how it drives, but literally everything I drive after my GT is anticlimactic. In my opinion the Rivian is better than any other 7 seater, EV or ICE currently offered for sale. That’s not really saying a lot, but with the OG pricing I consider it a bird in the hand. We will see what Lucid has in the bush. I hope it’s everything you need and at a price that rewards early adopters.

I think Rivian made a mistake with that wheel base. I don’t really love how it drives, but literally everything I drive after my GT is anticlimactic. In my opinion the Rivian is better than any other 7 seater, EV or ICE currently offered for sale. That’s not really saying a lot, but with the OG pricing I consider it a bird in the hand. We will see what Lucid has in the bush. I hope it’s everything you need and at a price that rewards early adopters.

That wheelbase and departure angle beats Jeep Wrangler for better off-road utility. I think it’s cool R1S can air lift suspension for water fording, lower suspension for indoor garage and sport mode. There are just so many great features no other EV/ICE SUV have, and it cost them $170k to make one for OG price which is a great bargain until they can scale production to reduce cost, make R2 and slowly vertical integration making their own parts.

That wheelbase and departure angle beats Jeep Wrangler for better off-road utility. I think it’s cool R1S can air lift suspension for water fording, lower suspension for indoor garage and sport mode. There are just so many great features no other EV/ICE SUV have, and it cost them $170k to make one for OG price which is a great bargain until they can scale production to reduce cost, make R2 and slowly vertical integration making their own parts.
An R1S extended with the T's wheelbase would be a very popular vehicle, first in class! And it would still have good offroading, if not as good as the R1S. After all, they do use that size on their offroading truck..

The back reminds me of the Honda Odyssey

For twelve years I have loved our Honda Odysseys for their room, comfort, utility, and surprising pep and handling for vehicles of their size. But ever since getting our first EV in 2015 I have craved a vehicle such as the Odyssey with an electric powertrain.

The closer Lucid gets to that, the happier a camper I will be. If anyone can mate the advantages of an EV powertrain -- torque, smoothness, low center of gravity, compactness -- to the efficiency, style, handling, and interior space of an Air and plop them into an SUV, it will be Lucid.

That wheelbase and departure angle beats Jeep Wrangler for better off-road utility. I think it’s cool R1S can air lift suspension for water fording, lower suspension for indoor garage and sport mode.

This is all true. However, it just punctuates my point that the R1S is heavily biased toward that kind of use -- something that all reviewers seem to agree they have done very, very well. (I think the astonishing things Rivian has done with their two vehicles is the reason Tesla keeps going back to the drawing board on the Cybertruck. Unfortunately for them, they're now stuck in the bizarre styling groove cast in stone at the initial unveiling.)

On the other hand, it was this strong bias toward off-roading over everyday passenger space that caused me to abandon my 4-year wait for a Launch Edition R1S once I got a glimpse of what Lucid was up to in the category.

This actually looks kinda low and mean. I'm loving it.

Now, this is apostasy, but if they could just add sliding rear doors . . . . I have never understood how such an amazingly convenient and practical feature ever became so ridiculed, sometimes even by reviewers who drool elsewhere over such nonsense as gullwing and falcon wing doors. I have never had an adult use them for the first time without commenting on what a good idea they were for ease of entry and exit, especially in tight parking spots. And when well designed, it's not even apparent that they don't open conventionally.

This actually looks kinda low and mean. I'm loving it.

Now, this is apostasy, but if they could just add sliding rear doors . . . . I have never understood how such an amazingly convenient and practical feature ever became so ridiculed, sometimes even by reviewers who drool elsewhere over such nonsense as gullwing and falcon wing doors. I have never had an adult use them for the first time without commenting on what a good idea they were for ease of entry and exit, especially in tight parking spots. And when well designed, it's not even apparent that they don't open conventionally.
So true.

I'm a little concerned about the look of the Gravity and mainstream adoption. Definitely looks like a mix of station wagon & SUV.

I'm a little concerned about the look of the Gravity and mainstream adoption. Definitely looks like a mix of station wagon & SUV.

Lucid's quest to dominate in range and interior space is going to dictate much of the exterior aspect. This is their only hope for carving out a niche for themselves. As a new, little-known automaker, making a vehicle that could pass for an Escalade or Navigator or Range Rover would not give them a chance.

The rather strange looks of the Tesla Model X and Model Y (currently the world's best-selling car) has shown that people who will consider EVs are not exactly slaves to prevailing design conventions.

Also—camouflage. I always reserve judgement on the looks of a car until I can see it with its actual paint job.

Back