Gravity Launch

Yes, that particular shot is attractive. Power to you and enjoy your vehicle.

Took both out this morning for local performance cars gathering. Look at size difference. (R1S is on 15” rock crawling height setting)

0CB17113-BAD0-4F0A-89E3-69EA28556C0A.webp
295DF8BC-EB6A-4C76-9F27-DF938E42AAAE.webp

The Air is quite low for aero reasons - I suspect the Gravity will be relatively low as well.

I don’t really need roof racks but like how it looks. It makes people think that you are kayaker or surfer, without having to actually be a kayaker or surfer. 😂

Do you feel that having them significantly reduces range?

I don’t really need roof racks but like how it looks. It makes people think that you are kayaker or surfer, without having to actually be a kayaker or surfer. 😂

Do you feel that having them significantly reduces range?

My roof rack holds recovery boards, I have them in case I ever get trapped in a ditch where one of tires cannot have grip to come out. But I’m sure 99% of time, quad motors on each wheel can come thru. I also intend to put bike up there in the future. I can easily put the recovery boards in the frunk, but it look cooler up there tell ling people you go up mountain but you are actually a city boy in flat Houston.

Range-wise, I don’t feel any effect since item is small. However, when I first install cross bars with recovery board mount, I can hear wind whistle; therefore I put the them in the rear and whistle went away. You can have up to 3 cross bars.

Added 3 inches also created a challenge to enter building garage or basement garage. Fortunately, I can frop suspension 3” to get in most garages.

My roof rack holds recovery boards, I have them in case I ever get trapped in a ditch where one of tires cannot have grip to come out. But I’m sure 99% of time, quad motors on each wheel can come thru. I also intend to put bike up there in the future. I can easily put the recovery boards in the frunk, but it look cooler up there tell ling people you go up mountain but you are actually a city boy in flat Houston.

Range-wise, I don’t feel any effect since item is small. However, when I first install cross bars with recovery board mount, I can hear wind whistle; therefore I put the them in the rear and whistle went away. You can have up to 3 cross bars.

Added 3 inches also created a challenge to enter building garage or basement garage. Fortunately, I can frop suspension 3” to get in most garages.
Recovery boards for a quad motor R1S might be useful if you tried to cross the Rio Grande during a monsoon. 😂

Maybe I’ll stick a cargo carrier on mine to make it look like I take long road trips.

See any similarities in proportions and demeanor?

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 2.27.51 PM.webp

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 2.30.35 PM.webp

Hopefully it ends up looking more like a station wagon than a minivan.. I know it's camoflaged until launch, but I'm not sold on the current look.

Hopefully it ends up looking more like a station wagon than a minivan.. I know it's camoflaged until launch, but I'm not sold on the current look.
Unless you want Rivian or Lightning level efficiency numbers (1.8-2.4m/kWh), the car will need to be low and streamlined. I am actually hoping for a raised wagon look with a suspension to raise it more when necessary.

Lucid lost valuable time with their first software team, the manufacturing manager and Covid supply chain issues as a new manufacturer. At least those areas should go better for the Gravity launch - especially if they keep addressing software build out between now and then. The fact that prices have risen and the federal subsidy was reset and now excludes even the cheapest Air puts it at a disadvantage with other options which have been launched in the same time frame. I haven’t been shopping SUV’s or CUV’s so I am not sure if there are cheaper alternatives to the Gravity that qualify for the rebate.

People are drawn to the Air when they see it; it has won all sorts of accolade. It seems price point is killing it In the market place. And it is a four door sedan. In reality, car purists who will pay a premium for the engineering quality we experience are fewer than those who are watching their dollars and are willing to make trade-offs for a reasonably reliable, reasonably comfortable and reasonably affordable EV. Range was a major factor for me in my choice because of frequent trips between NJ and GA. If I had been looking for a car for driving solely in my area, a less expensive, and less but adequately engineered alternative would probably have wound up at the top of my list.

. . . I am not sure if there are cheaper alternatives to the Gravity that qualify for the rebate.

There might be several cheaper 3-row electric SUV's by the time the Gravity comes out late next year, ranging from the VW ID.Buzz (due stateside in 2025) up through offerings from Mercedes, BMW, and Volvo/Polestar.

Whether they will be viewed by buyers as alternatives to the Gravity probably depends on which criteria are most important to the buyers. I think it's a safe bet that the Gravity will have the best range, the best cargo and passenger space utilization, among the best interior materials, among the best handling traits, and the most power (depending on how deep the buyers' pockets are). If any of these things are must-haves, the alternative selections drop very quickly to zero or near thereto . . . at least until the probable sticker shock kicks in.

Last edited:
I actually saw a greater resemblance between the Gravity, and the little mourned and somewhat maligned Ford Flex.

I tend to see more resemblance between the Flex and the Rivian R1S. I actually like the looks of the Flex and the Rivian because of the "cool" boxiness that I think is their dominant visual signature. As more angles of the latest Gravity iteration are emerging in photographs, I think boxiness is being replaced in my view by a certain muscular sleekness.

We have owned two Flex and have loved them. Our current model (2013) is still our go-to for family vacations with our children and grandchildren. Its boxy shape makes for a lot of useable space and it’s second row easily rivals the Air’s in legroom. The grandkids prefer the backseat. It is more like a station wagon than a SUV with a lower stamce. Flex(ible) is an apt descriptor with the various settings for the third row seats including folding into a flat floor. It is my garden store hauler and take the kids to college transport. Unfortunately, Ford did not invest in regular updates and dropped it from promotion long before it ceased production.

We have owned two Flex and have loved them. Our current model (2013) is still our go-to for family vacations with our children and grandchildren. Its boxy shape makes for a lot of useable space and it’s second row easily rivals the Air’s in legroom. The grandkids prefer the backseat. It is more like a station wagon than a SUV with a lower stamce. Flex(ible) is an apt descriptor with the various settings for the third row seats including folding into a flat floor. It is my garden store hauler and take the kids to college transport. Unfortunately, Ford did not invest in regular updates and dropped it from promotion long before it ceased production.
All it needed was a visual refresh and I feel the ford flex would have been one of the greatest vehicles of all time.

We have owned two Flex and have loved them. Our current model (2013) is still our go-to for family vacations with our children and grandchildren. Its boxy shape makes for a lot of useable space and it’s second row easily rivals the Air’s in legroom.

I test drove a Ford Flex in 2011 just before buying our first Odyssey. I liked it quite a lot. If I recall correctly, the reason I didn't buy it was that the dealer didn't have the turbo-charged V6 engine that I wanted on the lot, and there was a long wait to get one. Without it, the Odyssey was the peppier choice. And I went on to fall in love with its room, driving dynamics, and practicality.

If the Gravity can marry anything close to the driving dynamics of the Air to a vehicle as practical as the Odyssey, all my automotive dreams to have one car be all things will have come true.

I test drove a Ford Flex in 2011 just before buying our first Odyssey. I liked it quite a lot. If I recall correctly, the reason I didn't buy it was that the dealer didn't have the turbo-charged V6 engine that I wanted on the lot, and there was a long wait to get one. Without it, the Odyssey was the peppier choice. And I went on to fall in love with its room, driving dynamics, and practicality.

If the Gravity can marry anything close to the driving dynamics of the Air to a vehicle as practical as the Odyssey, all my automotive dreams to have one car be all things will have come true.
And for your latest odyssey, I would imagine you didnt get the flex because of the outdated technology. What couldve been..
Hopefully UX 3.0(rumored for gravity) will fix the software side!

And for your latest odyssey, I would imagine you didnt get the flex because of the outdated technology.

Actually, the Odyssey turned out to be just so damn good that we stuck with the brand. Sort of what we're looking to do in bringing in a Gravity on top of an Air.

We're still seeing some early-production woes with the Air -- it's off to the Service Center again next week -- but the basic car itself is just so incredibly good that we're total converts to the brand . . . and hoping the Gravity will absorb the lessons learned with the Air.

Actually, the Odyssey turned out to be just so damn good that we stuck with the brand. Sort of what we're looking to do in bringing in a Gravity on top of an Air.

We're still seeing some early-production woes with the Air -- it's off to the Service Center again next week -- but the basic car itself is just so incredibly good that we're total converts to the brand . . . and hoping the Gravity will absorb the lessons learned with the Air.
For sure it will on the technology side.. and they seem to have new ideas for the hardware. It just kills me because it was supposed to be unveiled by now..

It just kills me because it was supposed to be unveiled by now..

The staff at the West Palm Beach Studio two weeks ago told me it would be Q4 of this year or even Q1 of next. I share your impatience, but they're in road testing now, and I want them to get this right.

Back