Glass Canopy: To Tint or Not to Tint

Has any one who has had it tinted experienced the canopy cracking per the first post? Need to make decision soon whether to upgrade to touring. BTW, my wife hates the idea of the canopy unless it can be tinted so dark it is like a hard top.
Just wondering… why not get the hardtop?

Thank you.
What level of tint do you recommend?
I got the most modest level of tint I could, which I believe was 70%. A disclaimer, I live in Delaware & garage my car so heat gain is not really much of an issue. However, I was in the Vero Beach area for a few months right after Christmas & found that the ungaraged car could be a little warm (not overwhelming) when I first got in the car each day. But once I had the a/c on for 10 minutes (or remembered to pre-cool the car - duh!!) it wasn't an issue. Good luck. FYI, I got Llumar tint.

Has any one who has had it tinted experienced the canopy cracking per the first post? Need to make decision soon whether to upgrade to touring. BTW, my wife hates the idea of the canopy unless it can be tinted so dark it is like a hard top.
are they offering the $7500 Lucid Discount for the hardtop?

The reason I got the Touring glass roof was the paint contrast with the Zenith red body. If I were to buy a Lucid now, I would got with the Fathom Blue Metal roof .

are they offering the $7500 Lucid Discount for the hardtop?
I don't think so. I believe the discount is only available if you take a car that is currently in inventory and I believe you have to do so before the end of March??

@Tesla2.0 and other owners in Texas, any recommendations for the tints - canopy, windshield, driver/passenger, and back windows? I am taking my in tomorrow and want to be sure I have the "right' tints in place. I'll be doing it at Gulfcoast Auto.

Thanks

@Tesla2.0 and other owners in Texas, any recommendations for the tints - canopy, windshield, driver/passenger, and back windows? I am taking my in tomorrow and want to be sure I have the "right' tints in place. I'll be doing it at Gulfcoast Auto.

Thanks
I didn’t do at Gulfcoast Auto, but I do believe they have good competitive pricing.

I didn’t do at Gulfcoast Auto, but I do believe they have good competitive pricing.
Thanks, so what tinting specs did you do for each of the windows: canopy, windshield, driver/passenger, and back windows

Just an FYI I got my roof tinted windshield tinted and it is a project The guy really has to know what they're doing our guys located right near lucid and they got first hand instructions from some tips on how to disassemble the interior properly and install the material I'll be posting pictures probably by the end of this week as soon as the car is back from the wheel shop but you really need to find somebody that can do the job correctly and in one piece so it looks clean and factory
Hey there BocaBob, was there a noticeable reduction in heat from the roof? I have my Grand Touring in the Cayman Islands and the AC is definitely not keeping up. I was thinking of tinting the glass roof with a white smoke mirror finish to reflect the sun back off the glass a bit to try and give the AC a chance. Worth it?

Hey there BocaBob, was there a noticeable reduction in heat from the roof? I have my Grand Touring in the Cayman Islands and the AC is definitely not keeping up. I was thinking of tinting the glass roof with a white smoke mirror finish to reflect the sun back off the glass a bit to try and give the AC a chance. Worth ithe 3m

Hey there BocaBob, was there a noticeable reduction in heat from the roof? I have my Grand Touring in the Cayman Islands and the AC is definitely not keeping up. I was thinking of tinting the glass roof with a white smoke mirror finish to reflect the sun back off the glass a bit to try and give the AC a chance. Worth it?
If you use the best quality 3M products which has heat reflective property without a doubt any of the other ones are not worth it.....

I had my AGT fully tinted including the windshield. I used 80 on the windshield, 35 on the driver/passenger windows and 20 on the back windows. The windshield tint is very clean and clear. You may find a tiny bubble but not noticeable. I had mine done at XPEL tint on Frank Lloyd Wright.
Where did you start the 20? Above driver's head or farther back? Tx in advance

At this point, I'd be happy with a mesh type sunshade similar to those that are available for Teslas (I have one for my Model S). I find that the sun at high noon can be pretty warm. The rear seat glass portion would be easy, the challenge would be for the front portion and how to secure a sunshade with only the visor area to use to affix on the front. This way I can put it on in the summer and remove in winter.

At this point, I'd be happy with a mesh type sunshade similar to those that are available for Teslas (I have one for my Model S). I find that the sun at high noon can be pretty warm. The rear seat glass portion would be easy, the challenge would be for the front portion and how to secure a sunshade with only the visor area to use to affix on the front. This way I can put it on in the summer and remove in winter.
There is a company that makes the non mesh version already.

There is a company that makes the non mesh version already.

Thanks. I'll wait to see if a mesh-type becomes available.

Today I was reminded about something one of the service techs (Frank in SD) once told me about the AC system. I had parked out in the sun for a few hours, and the car was definitely heated up a bit. I had the AC going at high manual fan speed and 62-degrees, but it wasn't really doing the trick. So I cycled through all the modes (defrost, top vents, foot vents) a few times, and sure enough, the AC kicked in to high gear and started outputting nice and cold. Once I got that going, the car was easily able to overcome the heat coming in from the roof.

It's a known bug. I do hope Lucid is working on it. But in the meantime, it's an easy workaround.

If you run into that issue where the AC seems weak on a particularly hot day, give it a try.

And yes, a mesh sunscreen custom cut for the Lucid would be a nice option. I'm sure someone will make one eventually.

Today I was reminded about something one of the service techs (Frank in SD) once told me about the AC system. I had parked out in the sun for a few hours, and the car was definitely heated up a bit. I had the AC going at high manual fan speed and 62-degrees, but it wasn't really doing the trick. So I cycled through all the modes (defrost, top vents, foot vents) a few times, and sure enough, the AC kicked in to high gear and started outputting nice and cold. Once I got that going, the car was easily able to overcome the heat coming in from the roof.

It's a known bug. I do hope Lucid is working on it. But in the meantime, it's an easy workaround.

If you run into that issue where the AC seems weak on a particularly hot day, give it a try.

And yes, a mesh sunscreen custom cut for the Lucid would be a nice option. I'm sure someone will make one eventually.
I have DEFINITELY had that happen in my vehicle. I discovered that the AC is being directed out the front windshield defogger vents instead of the front driver/passenger vents. Even though the HVAC indicator shows that only the front vents are selected, AC is being directed to the windshield. In this mode, there is BARELY any air coming out the front vents. You are correct, you have to cycle a few times through all the mode settings for the AC to be directed out the front. It's happened to me about 4-5 times.

This may be something to make more noise about if its a known bug, they will likely prioritize it based on how many complaints they hear

If you use the best quality 3M products which has heat reflective property without a doubt any of the other ones are not worth it.....
Maybe 10 years ago 3M had the best window tint but right now, its the opposite. There are many many different window film manufacturers that offer a better product.

We, too, had an our new Lucid tinted (only the front and top glass, not the side windows). The tinting shop was also next to Lucid's point of distribution in Houston, Texas. It was not cheap even with my military discount. The shop owner all but guaranteed that his tint would do the trick. It did not. We just made a roundtrip to Austin. We would hate to see how hot it would have been had we not tinted the glass roof. It was almost too hot to keep the back of our hand touching the glass. This is clearly a design defect or else the glass used was not up to standard in hot climates such as Texas.

PS: It is only April in Texas, not July or August.

Back