Glass Canopy: To Tint or Not to Tint

I received my AT this past December and immediately did a PPF wrap and window tint (not the canopy). I haven't had to drive in our Texas summer sun yet, but have been pleased with the factory tint on the canopy with respect to glare and heat rejection (so far). My plan is to see how things go as we get into summer then make a decision as to whether a canopy tint is worth the investment.
The canopy will burn your hand if parked in the Texas Sun. You would definitely want to tint it if you like your Car to be Cold. It’s the heat not the glare. Put your hand close to the canopy in the summer and you can feel the heat coming in.

Get this

Combo with this

Or tint the canopy.

Voila! Case solved!
Maybe they have a Vest for the body as well 🤪

For some reason or other it is believed that Lucid's glass canopy is a huge hot issue in places like Texas, Arizona, California and Florida. It would appear to this new Lucid owner that Lucid has a simple solution.

Here's a hoot. We have contacted Lucid HQ folks and they have chosen to ghost us. Prior to us taking delivery we were their very best BF.

Tinting and the Lucid factory tint are great at blocking heat transmission through the canopy. They block heat transmission by absorbing the heat so the glass does become very hot. This is a problem if the car is not moving and does not have the airflow to cool that glass. Yes, if you are sitting in a parked car when it is 116 outside, you will feel the canopy radiate heat to your head. I am 6" and have noticed this until I start driving. I think the tradeoff of heat versus the view is worthwhile.

Adnillien,

Thank you kindly for your tinting information.
Please provide the tinting specifications so we can provide same to the tinting contractors here in Houston, Texas.

Adnillien,

Please provide the tinting specifications so we can provide same to the tinting contractors here in Houston, Texas.
I did Spectra Photosync 45 on all side and rear windows, nothing on the windshield or canopy.

I am still debating on doing the windshield with 70% since it may provide more benefit. The windshield is difficult/expensive to tint. Good shops can do it but it takes time and skill. Since rock chips are common in AZ, I did not want to add the cost of new tint to the cost of a chipped whidshield replacement. Other forum members can comment on the benefits of windshield tint.

Adnillien,
Thank you ... very very useful.
Why did you decide not to tint your canopy?

Adnillien,

I did Spectra Photosync 45 on all side and rear windows, nothing on the windshield or canopy.

I am still debating on doing the windshield with 70% since it may provide more benefit. The windshield is difficult/expensive to tint. Good shops can do it but it takes time and skill. Since rock chips are common in AZ, I did not want to add the cost of new tint to the cost of a chipped whidshield replacement. Other forum members can comment on the benefits of windshield tint.

Unsolicited recommendation here. My local tint shop (an unabashedly high end outfit with Ferraris, Bentleys, Lamborghinis and Aston Martins littering their work yard), did XPEL PRIME at 70%. They used it on all my windows and and the entire windshield and roof. I chose the XPEL PRIME for its claimed 98% heat rejection properties. In real life the claim holds up. But then again the top of my head doesn't graze my glass ceiling.

The main reason I wanted to post a response was to show off the high level of workmanship this shop in San Diego performed. Not all tint shops are created equal. The first tint shop I went to refused to work on my Lucid because they didn't think they could work around the suction cup bases of the sun visors without creating a seam. The shop I eventually went with were able to do just that - seamless tint job - as shown. Shop around, make sure the shop you’re considering can do the work, and in the world of auto tinting, you get what you pay for:

Attachments

• E3DB0F0C-E207-49B4-8AEA-3B04AFA769F7.jpeg
    E3DB0F0C-E207-49B4-8AEA-3B04AFA769F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • 1B1F8844-0F9C-42D1-BBE2-7FEA865EC497.jpeg
    1B1F8844-0F9C-42D1-BBE2-7FEA865EC497.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 130
  • DC25F058-5A0C-484B-9B5F-012D074CC7D4.jpeg
    DC25F058-5A0C-484B-9B5F-012D074CC7D4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 131
  • 408D6E0D-43E0-46D6-A817-244B497EDE4B.jpeg
    408D6E0D-43E0-46D6-A817-244B497EDE4B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 143
  • 34F9E385-E73C-49DB-B500-A1A02F2DF993.jpeg
    34F9E385-E73C-49DB-B500-A1A02F2DF993.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • B1A8CA3E-98D8-4087-AA6A-85070868744F.jpeg
    B1A8CA3E-98D8-4087-AA6A-85070868744F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 154
Unsolicited recommendation here. My local tint shop (an unabashedly high end outfit with Ferraris, Bentleys, Lamborghinis and Aston Martins littering their work yard), did XPEL PRIME at 70%. They used it on all my windows and and the entire windshield and roof. I chose the XPEL PRIME for its claimed 98% heat rejection properties. In real life the claim holds up. But then again the top of my head doesn't graze my glass ceiling.

The main reason I wanted to post a response was to show off the high level of workmanship this shop in San Diego performed. Not all tint shops are created equal. The first tint shop I went to refused to work on my Lucid because they didn't think they could work around the suction cup bases of the sun visors without creating a seam. The shop I eventually went with were able to do just that - seamless tint job - as shown. Shop around, make sure the shop you’re considering can do the work, and in the world of auto tinting, you get what you pay for:
Did they just make a very fine cut around the mounting points? It looks seamless.

Did they just make a very fine cut around the mounting points? It looks seamless.

It is completely seamless. They somehow were able to cut holes arond the stops and still apply the entire film. No breaks or seams anywhere.
One-of-One San Diego, near the corner of Clairmont Mesa and Convoy. Came highly recommended by the inestimable Frank Collins.

My opinion, absolutely get the tint. Even here in Seattle on a sunny summer day I can feel the heat radiating down and that’s after I got everything tinted. Must be worse in Florida or Texas for sure.

Has any one who has had it tinted experienced the canopy cracking per the first post? Need to make decision soon whether to upgrade to touring. BTW, my wife hates the idea of the canopy unless it can be tinted so dark it is like a hard top.

Back