Glass Canopy: To Tint or Not to Tint

Car delivered 29 Sept awaiting detailer time slot. Was going with the full monte but now having seen the car I'm not sure I want anything on the glass. Factory tinting looks great. I love being able to look up and see the clouds / soaring birds / aircraft and don't want to diminish that in the slightest. What I would really like is something on the OUTSIDE of the windshield to prevent stone chips.

Plan is for full ppf; 2 ceramic coats on top; interior/wheels/brakes all ceramic. Has to cure between coats. Could take a couple of weeks. Cost a lot more than I thought.

Very nervous about this, especially the part ^ about disassembling the car. I know the guy I'm talking to is not the guy(s) who will be doing the work. It's like: " let us have your wife for two weeks." ahhh .... this is not going to be easy for me.

Car delivered 29 Sept awaiting detailer time slot. Was going with the full monte but now having seen the car I'm not sure I want anything on the glass. Factory tinting looks great. I love being able to look up and see the clouds / soaring birds / aircraft and don't want to diminish that in the slightest. What I would really like is something on the OUTSIDE of the windshield to prevent stone chips.

Plan is for full ppf; 2 ceramic coats on top; interior/wheels/brakes all ceramic. Has to cure between coats. Could take a couple of weeks. Cost a lot more than I thought.

Very nervous about this, especially the part ^ about disassembling the car. I know the guy I'm talking to is not the guy(s) who will be doing the work. It's like: " let us have your wife for two weeks." ahhh .... this is not going to be easy for me.
I agree with you completely. I have never had the windshield or roof tinted. I've also not had any problems with heat, and I live in AZ. Drive it for a week, and see what you think.

Called many shops in Bay Area, most of them don’t like to tint the canopy. Couple expensive one helped. My guess it is also related to the skill

Called many shops in Bay Area, most of them don’t like to tint the canopy. Couple expensive one helped. My guess it is also related to the skill
I just got mine done at Deep Reflections (Los Gatos). There are other folks here too that have got PPF and tinting done there. I went with 35 all around except for the windshield (went with 70 for that).

It is absolutely skill and effort. Tinting the canopy is difficult, and many shops won’t even attempt it for fear of being unable to do it, or doing it poorly. The highly referenced and highly skilled shops like OCDetailing and Deep Reflections have no problem doing it.

It is absolutely skill and effort. Tinting the canopy is difficult, and many shops won’t even attempt it for fear of being unable to do it, or doing it poorly. The highly referenced and highly skilled shops like OCDetailing and Deep Reflections have no problem doing it.

Specifically for the job of tinting windshield and roof I would add to your short list for San Diego County clients, One-of-One San Diego, on Convoy Street and Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

Just an FYI I got my roof tinted windshield tinted and it is a project The guy really has to know what they're doing our guys located right near lucid and they got first hand instructions from some tips on how to disassemble the interior properly and install the material I'll be posting pictures probably by the end of this week as soon as the car is back from the wheel shop but you really need to find somebody that can do the job correctly and in one piece so it looks clean and factory
May have missed it, but were you able to post any pics? Would appreciate any info regarding the needed disassembly of the interior. Knowing what should be done would help us better assess our options. Thanks.

May have missed it, but were you able to post any pics? Would appreciate any info regarding the needed disassembly of the interior. Knowing what should be done would help us better assess our options. Thanks.
I was not present during the install I know that sun visors where removed and replaced and head liner was pulled down not center console tight trimming barley visible install not easy to be sure no bubbles end result super ....

I can recommend Total Detailing in Pottstown PA. They did an excellent job on my AGT. Said it took 4 guys inside the car to apply !

We picked up our Air from Lucid's service center in North Houston late last week.
Today in Houston the sun baked the glass canopy with the driver inside. This is a major flaw in the design. I wonder what kind of a fix Lucid recommends.

We picked up our Air from Lucid's service center in North Houston late last week.
Today in Houston the sun baked the glass canopy with the driver inside. This is a major flaw in the design. I wonder what kind of a fix Lucid recommends.
Most people turn on the AC before they bake😣. I have had my GT for over a year including last summer in Phoenix and I do not find that the Lucid gets any hotter than my other cars. I have tinted the side and back windows but not the windshield or ceiling. The AC is adequate to keep the car cool in the summer.

The hot heat generated from Lucid's glass canopy has nothing to do with the temperature inside the cabin. It all has to do with the heat bearing down on our heads.

The hot heat generated from Lucid's glass canopy has nothing to do with the temperature inside the cabin. It all has to do with the heat bearing down on our heads.
This may be more noticeable to taller drivers. At 5'10", I have the seat moved down pretty low and that gives me about 4- 5 inches of headroom. Others who are taller (@windscar911 for example) report feeling the heat coming in more. Some have suggested adjusting the climate control so there is cold air coming out of the defroster vents and going up and over. Will you be getting yours tinted?

Get this

Combo with this

Or tint the canopy.

Voila! Case solved!

I would love a comparison montage with different glass roof vehicles comparing temperatures.

Being someone who lives in Florida at a height of 5’10”, tinting the roof had a drastic difference. I do understand your concern though. There is heat that pulses from the glass the closer your head gets to it (not unique to Lucid). This is a get a metal roof or get your glass tinted decision.

My first thought was exactly that ... tint. However from reading the posts there seems to be an issue with that sorta heat protection. I've reached out to Lucid for their recommendation....we'll see how responsive they are.

My first thought was exactly that ... tint. However from reading the posts there seems to be an issue with that sorta heat protection. I've reached out to Lucid for their recommendation....we'll see how responsive they are.
I’m not exactly sure what answer you are hoping for. They provide it tinted from the factory. Certainly you can provide your own additional tint if you’d like to.

I had my glass roof tinted post purchase. I chose a 70% tint (as in allowing 70% of light through thus, not very dark), and 98% “heat rejection”, which is a property I wasn’t even aware of prior to getting my tinting done.

We have our fair share of sunny days here too in Southern California and while my head doesn’t graze my glass roof (I’m only 5’6”), overall I feel the heat coming through less in my Air GT than in our family Tesla Model X, whose enormous expanse of glass remains untinted save what came from the factory.

I suggest asking for local recommendations for auto tint shops in your area, particularly those who have already done work on Lucids.

I received my AT this past December and immediately did a PPF wrap and window tint (not the canopy). I haven't had to drive in our Texas summer sun yet, but have been pleased with the factory tint on the canopy with respect to glare and heat rejection (so far). My plan is to see how things go as we get into summer then make a decision as to whether a canopy tint is worth the investment.

Yes, it's not noticeable at all visually.
I also have 70 on both the windshield and rear overhead window. Turned out great using Ceramic Pro here in Melbourne.

Back